Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags planning park for WV??

Six Flags planning park for WV??

Jon

Posted:
5/29/00 at
12:21:28 AM

I'm from central West Virginia and I've heard some news lately about a possible Six Flags Amusement Park being put a few miles east of Huntington, WV, a city of maybe 60,000 and home of Marshall University and Camden Park, an old style Amusement Park. Before you dispel this as an outlandish rumor, hear me out. What I've heard is from a reliable source. This person's mother owns some land near the rumored site for the park, where lots of development is being done presently (hotels, restaraunts, stores are being put in). He claims his mother was offered $1.2 million for her 17 acres of land, and as part of the purchase agreement, the firm buying the land had to disclose what the land was to be used for. The documents reportedly stated "Six Flags Amusement Park." Now whether this is true or not I do not know. I guess my point for posting this was to see if any of you know anything about future plans for Six Flags or if you could possibly know anything regarding whether this rumor is true or not.

Now...my opinion on why a park in WV would NOT be a bad idea. If you take a map and put a pin where all amusement parks are in the east, there's a pretty big hole on your map. It's called West Virginia. Huntington is around three hours from PKI, six hours from CP, four and a half from Kennywood, six or so from BGW, four and a half from SFO, four and a half from SFKK. Not outlandish drives, but it's a hassle to drive so far for thrills. The city itself if a growing and expanding city with a major university (about 16,000 students and counting) that is in a convenient location (right off of interstate 64). The only drawback to such a park? Camden Park, the only park with two ACE Classic style coasters (I think that's what they're called) in America, would likely have to close due to the competition. Sorry to bore those of you with no interest in such a subject, but I'm looking for more information myself and couldn't think of a better place to start :) Thanks,
Jon

Re: Six Flags planning park for WV?? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 5/29/00 1:59:26 AM

I have been thinking about this for hours and some of this may make sense but to compete so close to one another in the East does not at all. The SF claim used to be less than a drives day away for 85% of America. I would think that they would concentrate on that last 15% in some way but with rural areas as they are. oh well. But I can understand a hole ion that map. mine has that also. Just Kidding.

ED

Re: Six Flags planning park for WV?? by DoomPlague at 5/29/00 4:09:46 AM

I don't want to offend but what you said is still just hearsay. I'm no expert but it still seems very, very doubtful. According to several sites, Premier/SixFlags is not in the business of building new parks from scratch.

I'm not sure how well Camden does but I doubt that area could bring enough business to a major park. Also, as I mentioned on this board once WV is smack dab in the middle of 3 great coastering states, OH,PA and VA not to mention SFA in Maryland. I think SixFlags/Premier has WV pretty well covered with SFKK, SFA and SFO within striking distance.

I wouldn't actually mind a major park down there though since I have family in Huntington and South Point. My dad grew up in Huntington and seems to remember Camden Park pretty well.

Re: Six Flags planning park for WV?? by CooMarlin at 5/29/00 8:30:23 AM

I would love to see it happen considering I'm from WV too. But I haven't heard anything about it in my lifetime. About 5 years ago there were rumors flying around that Disney was going to put a park smack dab in the middle of West Virginia around the Flatwoods area. But that never panned out although I still hear rumors on occasion.

Is 17 acres big enough to put a mojor park like Six Flags? It doesn't sound like it to me, but I've never been good at judging that kind of stuff. But it would be nice if it were true. I'd be 2.5 hours from it along with 1 hour to KW, 2.5 to SFOH, 4 to CP, 4.5 to PKI and 3 to SFA.

Coo

> I'm from central West Virginia and I've heard
> some news lately about a possible Six Flags
> Amusement Park being put a few miles east of
> Huntington, WV, a city of maybe 60,000 and home
> of Marshall University and Camden Park, an old
> style Amusement Park. Before you dispel this as
> an outlandish rumor, hear me out. What I've heard
> is from a reliable source. This person's mother
> owns some land near the rumored site for the
> park, where lots of development is being done
> presently (hotels, restaraunts, stores are being
> put in). He claims his mother was offered $1.2
> million for her 17 acres of land, and as part of
> the purchase agreement, the firm buying the land
> had to disclose what the land was to be used for.
> The documents reportedly stated "Six Flags
> Amusement Park." Now whether this is true or
> not I do not know. I guess my point for posting
> this was to see if any of you know anything about
> future plans for Six Flags or if you could
> possibly know anything regarding whether this
> rumor is true or not.

> Now...my opinion on why a park in WV would NOT be
> a bad idea. If you take a map and put a pin where
> all amusement parks are in the east, there's a
> pretty big hole on your map. It's called West
> Virginia. Huntington is around three hours from
> PKI, six hours from CP, four and a half from
> Kennywood, six or so from BGW, four and a half
> from SFO, four and a half from SFKK. Not
> outlandish drives, but it's a hassle to drive so
> far for thrills. The city itself if a growing and
> expanding city with a major university (about
> 16,000 students and counting) that is in a
> convenient location (right off of interstate 64).
> The only drawback to such a park? Camden Park,
> the only park with two ACE Classic style coasters
> (I think that's what they're called) in America,
> would likely have to close due to the
> competition. Sorry to bore those of you with no
> interest in such a subject, but I'm looking for
> more information myself and couldn't think of a
> better place to start :) Thanks,
> Jon

Re: Six Flags planning park for WV?? by classicdj at 5/29/00 9:41:30 AM

We hear that one in Orlando all the time. Premiere Parks buys existings parks, they don't build 'em. Nuff said.

For the Record by Jon at 5/29/00 1:28:00 PM

I'm as skeptical as you all are, and yes I know it's just hearsay, but I found it interesting "news" nonetheless. It does surprise me that SF would consider putting another park in the east when it seems like others are so close (even if it is 4 or 5 hours away). The 17 acres that I mentioned was not the entire area "planned" for the park, just the amount of area that my informant's mother owned and had to sell. There is plenty more room in that area. For those of you in WV wondering where I'm talking about, I was told that the area is near the Huntington Mall where a "7 mile project" is being worked on. The project consists of hotels, restaraunts, and nmerous stores/retail outlets. That part is confirmed. The other part that I've not heard much about is the Amusement park and a direct access road built right off of I-64 (something like the CP causeway or that exit for PKI). The fact that blasting is being done on that stretch of highway reinforces this issue. That's all the information I've got, so I'll quit buggin you all with it. Thanks for replying though.

> I would love to see it happen considering I'm
> from WV too. But I haven't heard anything about
> it in my lifetime. About 5 years ago there were
> rumors flying around that Disney was going to put
> a park smack dab in the middle of West Virginia
> around the Flatwoods area. But that never panned
> out although I still hear rumors on occasion.

> Is 17 acres big enough to put a mojor park like
> Six Flags? It doesn't sound like it to me, but
> I've never been good at judging that kind of
> stuff. But it would be nice if it were true. I'd
> be 2.5 hours from it along with 1 hour to KW, 2.5
> to SFOH, 4 to CP, 4.5 to PKI and 3 to SFA.

> Coo

Re: Six Flags planning park for WV?? by Dale Caskey at 5/29/00 2:12:23 PM

Jon,
I live one hour west of Huntington. As a former Six Flags season pass holder, I wouldn't trade Camden Park for two Six Flags parks. Camden Park was my first park so I'm very sentimental where it's concerned. Actually , if a SF's park were built, it would probably increase Camden Parks attendence as it would bring many more enthusists to the area. Check out the awesome new bumper cars at Camden this season!
> I'm from central West Virginia and I've heard
> some news lately about a possible Six Flags
> Amusement Park being put a few miles east of
> Huntington, WV, a city of maybe 60,000 and home
> of Marshall University and Camden Park, an old
> style Amusement Park. Before you dispel this as
> an outlandish rumor, hear me out. What I've heard
> is from a reliable source. This person's mother
> owns some land near the rumored site for the
> park, where lots of development is being done
> presently (hotels, restaraunts, stores are being
> put in). He claims his mother was offered $1.2
> million for her 17 acres of land, and as part of
> the purchase agreement, the firm buying the land
> had to disclose what the land was to be used for.
> The documents reportedly stated "Six Flags
> Amusement Park." Now whether this is true or
> not I do not know. I guess my point for posting
> this was to see if any of you know anything about
> future plans for Six Flags or if you could
> possibly know anything regarding whether this
> rumor is true or not.

> Now...my opinion on why a park in WV would NOT be
> a bad idea. If you take a map and put a pin where
> all amusement parks are in the east, there's a
> pretty big hole on your map. It's called West
> Virginia. Huntington is around three hours from
> PKI, six hours from CP, four and a half from
> Kennywood, six or so from BGW, four and a half
> from SFO, four and a half from SFKK. Not
> outlandish drives, but it's a hassle to drive so
> far for thrills. The city itself if a growing and
> expanding city with a major university (about
> 16,000 students and counting) that is in a
> convenient location (right off of interstate 64).
> The only drawback to such a park? Camden Park,
> the only park with two ACE Classic style coasters
> (I think that's what they're called) in America,
> would likely have to close due to the
> competition. Sorry to bore those of you with no
> interest in such a subject, but I'm looking for
> more information myself and couldn't think of a
> better place to start :) Thanks,
> Jon

http://www.dollywood.com