Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Boss

The Boss

Kirk A.

Posted:
4/21/00 at
9:46:56 PM

I saw boss being ridden on FOX 2 Thursday, and Show Me St. Louis chn. 5 same day, the gerstlauer trains were working, I noticed that the fronts really look like those grates in front of the old time trains, the coaster looks pretty cool..but kinda tame though, when it goes up the hills it doesn't go that fast around curves, and they are like barely banked, it looks pretty fun htough, and hte people riding it said there was a lot of airtime like six flags intended, so that will make it worth it

User Submitted Picture
Are you sure about those trains?? by Brad Brad Profile at 4/21/00 10:04:58 PM

I saw that show too, and I never saw the new trains running. In fact, all the news stations showed the coaster, and every time, the reporters were in the Screamin' Eagles' trains. I heard that reason the Boss isn't open yet is because of trouble with the new trains. All of the news broadcasts said that it would be open to the public on May 5th.

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by Flare at 4/22/00 7:05:10 AM

From my understanding, they ran PTC trains from the Screamin Eagle on Boss on the day in question, because the Gerstlauer trains weren't making the circuit. I'm not sure what the situation is now, but i'm sure they'll be ready for the 5th. :-)

Dave

> I saw that show too, and I never saw the new
> trains running. In fact, all the news
> stations showed the coaster, and every time,
> the reporters were in the Screamin' Eagles'
> trains. I heard that reason the Boss isn't
> open yet is because of trouble with the new
> trains. All of the news broadcasts said that
> it would be open to the public on May 5th.

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by Kirk A. at 4/22/00 11:52:06 AM

> I saw that show too, and I never saw the new
> trains running. In fact, all the news
> stations showed the coaster, and every time,
> the reporters were in the Screamin' Eagles'
> trains. I heard that reason the Boss isn't
> open yet is because of trouble with the new
> trains. All of the news broadcasts said that
> it would be open to the public on May 5th.

I can tell the difference between a train with bars in the front and one with red and a large eagle on the front. The report I saw on fox 2 showed the gerstlauer, and channel 5 showed screaming eagle. User Submitted Picture

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by Brad Brad Profile at 4/22/00 12:10:08 PM

Just so you know, there wasn't a large eagle on it. They had the Boss' logo stuck to the front of the Eagle's train. Actually, it looked really cheap!

I can tell the difference between a train with
> bars in the front and one with red and a
> large eagle on the front. The report I saw
> on fox 2 showed the gerstlauer, and channel
> 5 showed screaming eagle.

Trains... by Jeff King at 4/22/00 12:27:03 PM

I can tell the difference between a train with
> bars in the front and one with red and a
> large eagle on the front. The report I saw
> on fox 2 showed the gerstlauer, and channel
> 5 showed screaming eagle.

Sorry Kirk, but unless it happened last night, or this morning, the Gerstlauer trains have NOT made a full trip around the track yet. You probably saw stock footage from Roar in SFMW. I know that Channel 5 used some of this in their report. Media day was solely on the PTC's from the Eagle.

Jeff - Who's still a bit bruised, but had a wonderful time at Media day!

Re: Here is the problem... by The Coaster Freak at 4/22/00 1:54:46 PM

The Gerstaulters never did a full track circuit (at least I don't think) so they tried the Eagle cars and they did it on the first try. So I am guessing this caused some of the people to go, "Hmm... maybe there is something wrong with the Gerstaulters..." and found that there were problems with the bearings. They have ordered new bearings. Unless they get there in time for them to replace them and run saftey tests, then it won't be open May 5th.

On another note, no offense, but I don't know what the one person is thinking to say he saw the Gerstaulters running. They had Screamin' Eagle trains on there with a red covering over the lead car that had a little Boss logo on it. I thought it was kindof clever the way they did it. It was a little tacky, but would you rather them on Media/Press day just say, "No cars will work, go home". Imagine that... hehe, "NOO! WE WANNA RIDE THE BOSS!!!!!!!!!!" hehehe

Greg The Coaster Freak

My SFStl Page

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by Jeff Tolotti at 4/22/00 3:59:51 PM

> From my understanding, they ran PTC trains
> from the Screamin Eagle on Boss on the day
> in question, because the Gerstlauer trains
> weren't making the circuit. I'm not sure
> what the situation is now, but i'm sure
> they'll be ready for the 5th. :-)

It's all guesswork at this point. Gerstlauers are not making the circuit on either Boss or Villain (and I've heard MegaZeph as well). The other CCIs running them (Legend, Hurricane, Medusa) haven't begun to test yet, except maybe Legend, but I haven't heard. Even if they "fix" the problems with the bearings like they state, who's to say that the trains still won't be too light to make it? I certainly hope that Boss opens that weekend for the people going after SRM...

Jeff

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by The Coaster Freak at 4/22/00 5:33:04 PM

IMHO I think they should order some PTC's EXACTALLY like the Eagle's trains... I don't care what people say about that coaster, it was mean last year (in the good way, not harmful) and it had plenty of air time and I never hurt when I got off that thing... I think they should get some for the Boss. What do you all think? Either PTC's or some custom GCI open faced like Roar's

Greg

Re: Are you sure about those trains?? by Steve at 4/22/00 8:34:57 PM

> IMHO I think they should order some PTC's
> EXACTALLY like the Eagle's trains... I don't
> care what people say about that coaster, it
> was mean last year (in the good way, not
> harmful) and it had plenty of air time and I
> never hurt when I got off that thing... I
> think they should get some for the Boss.
> What do you all think? Either PTC's or some
> custom GCI open faced like Roar's Greg

I do agree with you on ordering some PTC's but I don't think it up to Six Flags. CCI would have to make that call. Plus... I can imagine trains are very very expensive, something you don't run out and buy. Plus, Plus I don't PTC would have a surplus. they would have to make them and that may take awhile.

Steve