Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My personal MF "test run"

My personal MF "test run"

KMAN KMAN Profile

Posted:
4/19/00 at
4:14:05 PM

Now, please be aware that what you are about to read should not be replicated at home as it was performed by "professional" stunt men with many years of training. The following actions could put you at serious risk to injury, death, and a hefty speeding ticket.

That being said I couldnt' resist. After almost a week of dreary weather, the DC area is sunny, bright, and 70 today. My friend and I are in my car and put the top down at a stoplight. Then a thought popped into my head and I made him drive. Now there is a certain stretch of road in my area that has virtually no traffic, NO houses or pedestrians, and is straight with clear sight lines. I told him to speed it up to 92mph. At around 85mph I stood up in my car. Let me tell you, sticking your head out of the window won't suffice. At 92mph in a Mazda Miata (standing up) I was HAMMERED by unbelievable wind. After just a brief moment I was completely blinded with tears, the sound of the wind was just MONSTROUS, and my whole upper body was absolutely pummeled with wind. I had to sit down after 15 seconds or so do to the wind and for safety's sake.

The front row of MF is going to be sheer insanity folks! Not just your head, but your whole upper body is going to be assaulted by the wind like a heavyweight fighter throwing a stiff hook! The sensation of 92mph in a coaster car is going to be insane folks, believe me. The difference between even 85mph and 92 mph can definitely be felt - big time! PS -- I know I am STUPID. :) --K

Re: My personal MF "test run" by ben at 4/19/00 4:55:00 PM

> Now, please be aware that what you are about
> to read should not be replicated at home as
> it was performed by "professional"
> stunt men with many years of training. The
> following actions could put you at serious
> risk to injury, death, and a hefty speeding
> ticket. That being said I couldnt' resist.
> After almost a week of dreary weather, the
> DC area is sunny, bright, and 70 today. My
> friend and I are in my car and put the top
> down at a stoplight. Then a thought popped
> into my head and I made him drive. Now there
> is a certain stretch of road in my area that
> has virtually no traffic, NO houses or
> pedestrians, and is straight with clear
> sight lines. I told him to speed it up to
> 92mph. At around 85mph I stood up in my car.
> Let me tell you, sticking your head out of
> the window won't suffice. At 92mph in a
> Mazda Miata (standing up) I was HAMMERED by
> unbelievable wind. After just a brief moment
> I was completely blinded with tears, the
> sound of the wind was just MONSTROUS, and my
> whole upper body was absolutely pummeled
> with wind. I had to sit down after 15
> seconds or so do to the wind and for
> safety's sake. The front row of MF is going
> to be sheer insanity folks! Not just your
> head, but your whole upper body is going to
> be assaulted by the wind like a heavyweight
> fighter throwing a stiff hook! The sensation
> of 92mph in a coaster car is going to be
> insane folks, believe me. The difference
> between even 85mph and 92 mph can definitely
> be felt - big time! PS -- I know I am
> STUPID. :) --K

Great post. Sounds like fun. :) You have to remember though, Superman at SFMM already goes faster than MF will, and I don't hear of it being a problem. Of course, in terms of sustained 70+mph time, I assume MF will have more than any other ride out there, so there will be the endurance factor indeed. (once your eyes start to tear up, it's probably not gonna get any better as the ride continues going *very* fast) -ben

Re: My personal MF "test run" by Coaster Steve at 4/19/00 9:27:26 PM

Great post. Sounds like fun. :) You have to
> remember though, Superman at SFMM already
> goes faster than MF will, and I don't hear
> of it being a problem. Of course, in terms
> of sustained 70+mph time, I assume MF will
> have more than any other ride out there, so
> there will be the endurance factor indeed.
> (once your eyes start to tear up, it's
> probably not gonna get any better as the
> ride continues going *very* fast) -ben

>that's what I thought too, I've been on Superman, I didn't notice the wind in my face, but I didn't ride in the front. On MF you are going almost strait down going 92 mph, which is probably a totally different experience than Superman which is going strait at 100. Also MF will hit 92 from the top of the hill faster than Superman hits 100. I think the wind won't be as bad on MF because you'll be at 92 only for a second, than when you were in your car going that fast for a period of time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

>Coaster Steve

Sorta dumb but we did the same thing in stages by OhioMike at 4/23/00 2:13:26 AM

We did the same thing but we took it in stages as we reached 65 or so we said ok this is the beast, then at 70some we said magnum, at 80 some we said SOB, and we hit around 95, and said this is MF. And I agree what a diffrence between 65 to 93 95 etc. Even from 70some to 90some is a huge diffrence. And that is a car. But no I wouldnt try it again, and woouldnt advise anyone to do this either.