Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Son of Beast FIRST DROP! 1:17pm 4/18/2000

Son of Beast FIRST DROP! 1:17pm 4/18/2000

CoasterFanatic

Posted:
4/18/00 at
2:32:29 PM

I arrived at PKI at aprox 12:45 and noticed the train stoped in the valley of the first swoop off the lift.

I went to the back of the campground and watched them for the next half hour as they winched the Train to the crest of the first drop.

I thought they were doing a pull through so I snapped a pic of the train at the top of the drop and got back in my car and waited to get a pic of them lowering it down the drop! I don't know what I was doing but at 1:17pm I seen the train cresting the second hill at amazing speed!! and the explictives I shouted can't be posted here, but I said them because I didn't get a pic of it cresting the second hill. I did get a pic of it cresting the first go round of the first helix and the train almost came to a complete stop here but momentum carried it into the second go around!

The train entered the brake block area at a super slow speed and only made it about 3/4 of a train length into the block itself, I thought they stopped it but after about 10 to 15 seconds the train started rolling backwards! It then proceded to rock back and forth in the second helix bottom section till it came to a complete stop! I guess this is called Rocking the baby! or better known as Valleying or a roll back!

I was so excited I ran up to the security post at the North entrance and ask through the campground fence if that was its first run?

He said yes they had been working all morning getting it to the top of the lift and that yeasterday all they did was test on the electrical, Pnumatics and also ran a gauge car around the track to check for flaws.

So I witnessed the first run, or first half of the first run and knowing it would take a hour or two to get the train out of the valley, I came right home to make this post.

Chuck, Who will be at the park friday to get more testing pics. Oh and I should have last fridays pics up by tonight at the link below

Coaster Fanatics Forum

Re: I Just Missed IT!! I saw the workers climbing by TigerBeast at 4/18/00 3:00:14 PM

> I arrived at PKI at aprox 12:45 and noticed
> the train stoped in the valley of the first
> swoop off the lift.

Chuck, I wish I had seen that, but I am glad somebody got to.

I arrived at aprox 1:35 and nothing was happening, then I saw several workers climbing the first hill, I thought they were just returning from lunch, but maybe that is why they tested when they did to not interrupt the finishing touches workers were doing.

I can't believe I missed it, I was so close.

When I left there were workers all over the structure, so I don't know if testing will commence again very soon or not. I saw them installing something about the width of the chain, only a much brighter silvery metal along the side of the lift hill that faces the rest of the coaster, anybody know what this is? My best guess is maybe it is a lightning rod that will ascend along the lift and then sprout above the the coaster at the top.

Oh well, I guesss I will check at lunch time again tomorrow to try and catch them testing.

Tony I went to the back of
> the campground and watched them for the next
> half hour as they winched the Train to the
> crest of the first drop. I thought they
> were doing a pull through so I snapped a pic
> of the train at the top of the drop and got
> back in my car and waited to get a pic of
> them lowering it down the drop! I don't know
> what I was doing but at 1:17pm I seen the
> train cresting the second hill at amazing
> speed!! and the explictives I shouted can't
> be posted here, but I said them because I
> didn't get a pic of it cresting the second
> hill. I did get a pic of it cresting the
> first go round of the first helix and the
> train almost came to a complete stop here
> but momentum carried it into the second go
> around! The train entered the brake block
> area at a super slow speed and only made it
> about 3/4 of a train length into the block
> itself, I thought they stopped it but after
> about 10 to 15 seconds the train started
> rolling backwards! It then proceded to rock
> back and forth in the second helix bottom
> section till it came to a complete stop! I
> guess this is called Rocking the baby! or
> better known as Valleying or a roll back! I
> was so excited I ran up to the security post
> at the North entrance and ask through the
> campground fence if that was its first run?
> He said yes they had been working all
> morning getting it to the top of the lift
> and that yeasterday all they did was test on
> the electrical, Pnumatics and also ran a
> gauge car around the track to check for
> flaws. So I witnessed the first run, or
> first half of the first run and knowing it
> would take a hour or two to get the train
> out of the valley, I came right home to make
> this post. Chuck, Who will be at the park
> friday to get more testing pics. Oh and I
> should have last fridays pics up by tonight
> at the link below

Re: Son of Beast FIRST DROP! 1:17pm 4/18/2000 by Merlin at 4/18/00 3:04:34 PM

Man, I hope that was what they expected to happen. It would really suck if they had to reprofile the track at this point.

Re: Son of Beast FIRST DROP! 1:17pm 4/18/2000 by Iceman at 4/18/00 3:07:38 PM

I figured it would valley its first time on that little crest at the top of the hill. But I guess thats typical. That sucks that it valleyed again in the last part of the helix. I would think it was carrying enough speed to make it atlest into the blocks. But I guess it will take a bit to get the trains broken in. I bet its going to hang in the loop again. If I had a car I would go into the park today since thats the ride I am going to work on so that I could watch them. Hopefully they will drop another one today. Well thanks for the report Chuck. Keep us posted if you head back up there today.

Iceman

chuck I beat you to it..... by Unknown at 4/18/00 3:28:47 PM

Actually chuck the first train was dispatched @ 2:50 on April 17, 2000 then hung in the first dip at 2:56 p.m. (atlest thats when it stoped rocking back and forth) click the link at the bottom to see the pic's

Son Of Beast Hung Train

Re: chuck I beat you to it.....DiD it Drop??? by CoasterFanatic at 4/18/00 4:24:38 PM

> Actually chuck the first train was
> dispatched @ 2:50 on April 17, 2000 then
> hung in the first dip at 2:56 p.m. (atlest
> thats when it stoped rocking back and forth)
> click the link at the bottom to see the
> pic's

Did You see it drop?

What you are saying is your pic shows the train vallied at the top yeasterday.

But did they drop it?

The security guard told me that was the first drop of the train over the 214 ft drop today.

And that they didnt drop it yeasterday, Correct me if im wrong and i dont want to be called a liar, I only posted what I saw and was told by the security guard.

Thanks for the pic. Chuck

Re: Son of Beast FIRST DROP! 1:17pm 4/18/2000 by Iceman at 4/18/00 5:50:30 PM

I figured it would valley its first time on that little crest at the top of the hill. But I guess thats typical. That sucks that it valleyed again in the last part of the helix. I would think it was carrying enough speed to make it atlest into the blocks. But I guess it will take a bit to get the trains broken in. I bet its going to hang in the loop again. If I had a car I would go into the park today since thats the ride I am going to work on so that I could watch them. Hopefully they will drop another one today. Well thanks for the report Chuck. Keep us posted if you head back up there today.

Iceman

Re: chuck I beat you to it.....DiD it Drop??? by Unknown at 4/18/00 8:29:40 PM

No....I ment i beat you to getting the pic. up...... i missed the drop today.....I had school

More Pic's added to http://www.sonofbeast.8m.com/hung.html

http://www.sonofbeast.8m.com/hung.html