Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Elitch Gardens needs (long)

What Elitch Gardens needs (long)

SFEGman

Posted:
4/18/00 at
1:13:52 PM

Instead of responding in a thread below and not get read, I thought I would just start a new one on the problems with EG.

Fred is right. It does have its share of problems. My few experiences there were not as bad as how he described it. I think he just got unlucky once or twice.

Unlike some SLCs, mind eraser is NOT a bad ride. Headbanging isn't sever, and not even enough to be uncomfortable. It runs fast and semi-smoothly. I don't really see why he complains about it so much. Boomerang is a bit problematic, but it is getting smoothed out. It is just about the smoothest boomer out there, which is great. Twister 2 has a lot of potential. It has a great layout, an out of control feeling, and some wonderful gut fluttering dives. Its just horribly rough, which is its downfall as well as the fact that they only run one of the two trains. They need to replace it with a CC1 woody or a Roar! clone, if you ask me.

Sidewinder is a wonderful gem. Don't knock it.

Tower of doom had ten operators last time I was there, and was running all sides.

I have it confirmed from MANY sources (some inside the park) that they will be adding a Superman Ride of steel for 2001. This will go a long way towards improving this slightly substandard park.

I think the whole comparison between lakeside and SFEG is ridiculous. Thats like tring to compare Islands of Adventure to coney island. Traditional parks and theme parks are completely different experiences and trying to compare them is like comparing die hard to lawrence of arabia. It just doesn't work.

On that note...

Lakeside is a true gem of a traditional park with one of the finest classic woodies around. The front seat gives you gobs of air time and a smooth ride with the laterals not as painful as the backseat. The backseat has NO airtime. Wild chipmunk is a great mouse coaster with an intense helix at the end. A fun ride. Food at this park is tasty and inexpensive, unlike the mass produced icky food at elitch. Oops, there I go comparing the two. Here, slap my hand (SLAP) thank you.

Anyhoo, the point I'm trying to make is that while denver sure as heck aint the coaster capitol of the world, its not a BAD place to go coasting. There are two parks, and each one has some good rides to get an adrenaline fix on.

-SFEGman

Re: What Elitch Gardens needs (long) by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/18/00 2:36:18 PM

> Anyhoo, the point
> I'm trying to make is that while denver sure
> as heck aint the coaster capitol of the
> world, its not a BAD place to go coasting.
> There are two parks, and each one has some
> good rides to get an adrenaline fix on.
> -SFEGman

_______

I've heard a lot of complaints from people in the Denver area. SFEG does need some serious help. But as you said, Denver has two parks to visit! This is a lot better than one and there are plenty of places with none. Consider yourselves lucky! :)

Now, SFEG would benefit greatly from any quality coaster next year - wood or steel, looping or non looping. Lakeside is a real gem IMO. I love this park. Cyclone is definitely best in the front or especially row 2 IMO. There is just no air in the back (but there are some nice laterals in the back!). --K

Re: What Elitch Gardens needs (long) by SFEGman at 4/18/00 2:52:14 PM

_______ I've heard a lot of complaints from
> people in the Denver area. SFEG does need
> some serious help. But as you said, Denver
> has two parks to visit! This is a lot better
> than one and there are plenty of places with
> none. Consider yourselves lucky! :) Now,
> SFEG would benefit greatly from any quality
> coaster next year - wood or steel, looping
> or non looping. Lakeside is a real gem IMO.
> I love this park. Cyclone is definitely best
> in the front or especially row 2 IMO. There
> is just no air in the back (but there are
> some nice laterals in the back!). --K

I think the laterals in the back are just plain painful, especially if you ride with someone in the seat next to you. If you're alone and just slide around it isn't as bad. Front row reduces laterals to pleasant levels. If you ride the second row, you don't get considerably more air than front, and you miss out on the stunning visuals. There are great head/hand choppers that are twenty times more intense in the front. This is an excellent hands in the air coaster. Not a frightener, but just intense enough and very playful. Thank you, Ed Vettel.

Re: What Elitch Gardens needs (long) by Coaster Steve at 4/18/00 8:29:39 PM

> I agree with you, IMHO SFEG was a fun place to visit, but I do think it has potential. It needs more coasters, Mind Eraser was a fun ride, not as bumpy as people told me it was, just a little jerky in spots, but very re-rideable,my ten year old sister re-rode it over 5 times in a row without any pain, and she's pretty sensitive in the head. Twister 2 was very rough, but it was my first taste of a real wooden twister, the very back seat had some nice padding so that helped with the pain. I liked Boomerang, just because there's so many of them doesn't make them so they're not fun. I didn't ride Sidewinder, I think it valleyed. Another thing about SFEG is their awesome variety of flat rides, and since I'm a flat ride lover I didn't get bored at this park. I guess since crowds were light when I went and I expected the worse I had a great time. I don't think I'll ever hate an amusement park like Fred, but if I go to as many as Fred has it may be possible, but hopefully it doesn't happen. BTW Fred, have you talked to or wrote SFEG and told them your opinion, I'm sure you have, but if you haven't try it. And maybe I'll see you at Lagoon this summer. Lates

>Coaster Steve

Re: What Elitch Gardens needs (long) by Fred at 4/18/00 11:52:08 PM

> Instead of responding in a thread below and
> not get read, I thought I would just start a
> new one on the problems with EG. Fred is
> right. It does have its share of problems.
> My few experiences there were not as bad as
> how he described it. I think he just got
> unlucky once or twice. Unlike some SLCs,
> mind eraser is NOT a bad ride. Headbanging
> isn't sever, and not even enough to be
> uncomfortable. It runs fast and
> semi-smoothly. I don't really see why he
> complains about it so much.

OK, right now I'm going to talk a little bit about etiquitte (SP?). From your post SFEGman, you make it sound like I was the one that was knocking Minderaser. You mentioned my name only in your response, so by saying "I don't really see why he complains so much about it", you are making it look like I was complaining about the ride. If you read my post carefully, you would see that I was knocking the coaster AT ALL! Joe(PCW) MAY have knocked Minderaser by saying SFEG only has that and a Boomerang, but that is very questionable of whether he did complain about it or not. Please DO NOT out words in my mouth, nor in anyone's elses mouth. It is rude.

Personally, I did find Minderaser one of the rougher Hang N Bangs and while it is not a bad ride, it certainly isn't world class either.

>Boomerang is a bit problematic, but it is getting smoothed out. It is just about the smoothest boomer out there, which is great.

I thought Boomerang was the best coaster in the park and the smoothest of the ones I've been on. I rode not long after it opened.

Twister 2 has a lot of potential. It has a great layout, an out of control feeling, and some wonderful gut fluttering dives. Its just horribly
> rough, which is its downfall as well as the
> fact that they only run one of the two
> trains. They need to replace it with a CC1
> woody or a Roar! clone, if you ask me.

I agree with everything except the out of control feeling. It tends to peter out near the end. I think the biggest downfall is the fact that the park runs one train so often. With 20 passenger trains, that gives this coaster a capacity of 300 persons/hour. That's pretty pathetic.

But they do not need to replace Twister II with another coaster. They just need to retrack it! Of course, I would be welcome to adding a CCI woodie in addition to the park.

> Sidewinder is a wonderful gem. Don't knock
> it.

Here we go again. Can you PLEASE tell me what I said that indicated I was knocking the coaster? I NEVER said a single negative thing about it. I just said they were running it for only one hour the day I was there then closed it down again. I would hate to see that ride go. It's the last one left in the USA, as far as I know.

Tower of doom had ten operators last
> time I was there, and was running all sides.
> I have it confirmed from MANY sources (some
> inside the park) that they will be adding a
> Superman Ride of steel for 2001. This will
> go a long way towards improving this
> slightly substandard park.

Most of the time, I've seen Tower of Doom operated well. I appreciate the fact that the ops seek out single riders to fill up the seat. But I thought the operation of it for the first six hours of the day I was there was just ridiculous and unprofessional. SFEG could benefit from a hypercoaster. I can tell you that I highly doubt that it'll be an exact clone like the ones at SFA and SFDL.

I think the whole comparison between lakeside and SFEG is ridiculous. Thats like tring to compare
> Islands of Adventure to coney island.

Who said I was comparing SFEG and Lakeside? I was saying that when I go to Denver, I believe Lakeside is a much more worthwhile place to go than SFEG, because at Lakeside YOU CAN have a lot of fun. SFEG is the only park where I BELIEVE it is impossible to have a great time. They simply won't allow it by their lousy management.

> Traditional parks and theme parks are
> completely different experiences and trying
> to compare them is like comparing die hard
> to lawrence of arabia. It just doesn't work.

Sure it works! Theme parks can be just as exhilarting and intoxicating as traditional parks, and vice versa. It all depends on how well the parks handle what they want to do. Look at Islands of Adventure (a park I have yet to go to). Everyone is raving about it because the park went to great, great lengths to theme every one of its rides at a top notch level. It looks as if they did not cut any corners.

On the traditional side, look at Kennywood. The tradition of this park lies in its ability to preserve the great rides of the past and combine them with the new rides of today. They take great pride its history and traditions. Some parks can be considered both THEME and TRADITIONAL park. The best example is Knott's Berry Farm--a park that is rich in history, tradition, and themeing. SO you can easily compare theme and traditional parks.

I might add that SFEG seems to be the only park that is neither a traditional park, nor a theme park. The tradition was completely trashed at the original park's abandonment. The park today simply has NO THEME. Unless you say that the parks theme is an urban wasteland with bad times abound.

On that note... Lakeside is a true gem of
> a traditional park with one of the finest
> classic woodies around. The front seat gives
> you gobs of air time and a smooth ride with
> the laterals not as painful as the backseat.
> The backseat has NO airtime. Wild chipmunk
> is a great mouse coaster with an intense
> helix at the end. A fun ride.

TOTAL AGREED! I might add that the Cyclone first drop and turn are among the most intense openings on a coaster.

Food at this
> park is tasty and inexpensive, unlike the
> mass produced icky food at elitch. Oops,
> there I go comparing the two. Here, slap my
> hand (SLAP) thank you.

You see, what's wrong with that comparison??! NOTHING! That's exactly the type of things that SHOULD be pointed out! Why is the food at Lakeside (which has a higher limit of funds than SFEG) better than the food at a park which seems to have all the money in the world (OK so Premier doesn't but you get what I mean)? Don't you find that a bit ironic? For the outrageous prices SFEG charges for food, they (and all parks that serve crappy food) should be damn sure they serve quality food. The guests deserve it!

To answer Coaster Steve's question about whether I have contacted the park, the answer is YES! After they annouced that they were becoming a Six Flags park and that superior guest service would their #1 priority, my blood was boiling! That was a total crock! I wrote a nasty letter telling them about my awful experience there the first time I visited. A nice woman responded to my letter attempted to give me some answers. I did not accept about half of them, but apparently she did not seem to understand that it is wrong to run one train when there is an hour wait.

After corresponding twice with her, I gave up. After two months, I wrote back again with a very long letter citing example of parks I have been to that ran two or more trains on their coasters when there was no wait (namely BGT, Hersheypark, Cedar Point, SFMM--before the Premier buyout, PKI, Lagoon, and Kennywood. I also mentioned that it was wrong them to advertise less wait in their brochures and then not provide it, especially since very few park advertise such a thing, but instead provide as part of the package. I finally mentioned that with the SF name, people will be expecting much more including "less wait" and if they don't meet expectations, not only will they greatly damage the park's reputation, but the entire Six Flags chain as well.

She then FINALLY agreed with what I was trying to say and forwarded the letter to other managers in the park, all of whom just blew it off and threw it back at her. She basically confirmed my belief that the park doesn't care about their guests. I honestly believe she does care, but can't do anything about improvements if no one backs her up.

She eventually offered me an internship at the park for the summer. I turned it down becuase I felt I could not live on $6/ hr and work for a place that was doing more of a disservice to the public than anything else.

Yeah, Coaster Steve if you been to as many parks as I have, you will come to hate a small handful of them. The only parks I intensely dislike are SFEG and SFKK. I'm going to Stark Raven Mad and have total opportunity to go to SFKK but I refuse to support that place. I also disliked Geauga Lake when I went, but I'm now giving them the benefit of the doubt for this year. I'm looking forward to going to SFO in June. I do LOVE many, many parks like Knotts, Knoebels, Hershey, Kennywood, SFOT, BGT, BGW, Disneyland, CP to name a few.

Hopefully, we will see each other at Lagoon this summer! That would be great. BTW, if you happen to go to the Mayan this summer, keep your eye for me. I just started working there. In case you don't know what I'm talking about its that new restaurant in Sandy.

FRED

Re: What Elitch Gardens needs (long) by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/19/00 12:30:51 AM

>an excellent hands in the air coaster.
> Not a frightener, but just intense enough
> and very playful. Thank you, Ed Vettel.

Aren't they all excellent hands in the air coasters, LOL!

Anyhoo, I love the jarring laterals in the back on LC and in general. I love getting either thrown into or having a friend come crashing into me during turns with good laterals. Watch out though - I've been known to slap on a momentary headlock to anyone sliding to my side of the train! :) --K