Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What SFMM really needs right now

What SFMM really needs right now

Fred

Posted:
4/18/00 at
11:03:57 AM

With a lot of recent talk of SFMM's new coaster for 2001, I can't help to think about what that park REALLY needs right now.

A whole new selection of flat rides!! That park has such a POOR selection of flat rides, not to mention so much dead space around the park where those rides could go into and liven up. I would LOVE to see a Frisbee, Top Spin, Breakdance, Areo360(??), Falling Star, Aviator, Chaos, Inverter, and Evolution go into SFMM, just to name a few rides. There are lots of places where they could go to around the park.

As for the coaster, I honestly think it will be a B&M Dive Machine. There simply isn't anything else that the park could logically get that they don't already have. If they want a floorless, the might as well just as floorless train to Riddler's Revenge. A floorless and Stand-up would be too similar to each other. A looping woodie is possible but I don't think they should get one until they take care of Colossus and Psyclone. Plus, they said the new coaster will be bigger than Goliath.

That would have to be a Dive Machine. But PLEASE let's get those flat rides first.

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by SFMM Lover at 4/18/00 6:04:15 PM

Of course the park needs some flat rides but SFMM is all about the coasters! They have such and impressive collection we wouldn't want them to waste money on flat rides.....I think it wouldn't be a dive machine. Possibly a GIGA with inversions. That would be soooo awsome. But, I would really prefrer a floorless. Possibly a floorless that is launched. That would be a nice addition to the mountain.....a woodie is something to think of but they already have 2 of them....another? I dont think so.... at least for a few years if they get rid of one...

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Masher at 4/18/00 6:37:26 PM

Isn't being flat ride poor is a trademark of SFMM? In any case they would indeed be well served to loose this distinction. If they decide to do something about this I would prefer to see them add a section of the park that is dedicated to flat rides instead of basically scattering them throughout the park as they do today. Call it Magic Mountain Faire or something.

Also, "Not to be picky but I fail to see how a stand-up and a floorless are too similar to one another". Is it possible that you havn't yet ridden a floorless?

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Shorty at 4/18/00 8:00:15 PM

> Isn't being flat ride poor is a trademark of
> SFMM? In any case they would indeed be well
> served to loose this distinction. If they
> decide to do something about this I would
> prefer to see them add a section of the park
> that is dedicated to flat rides instead of
> basically scattering them throughout the
> park as they do today. Call it Magic
> Mountain Faire or something. Also,
> "Not to be picky but I fail to see how
> a stand-up and a floorless are too similar
> to one another". Is it possible that
> you havn't yet ridden a floorless?

Well I Haven't Ridden A Floorless Also But Look The Riddler's Revenge is A B&M Stand-Up And The B&M Floorless Uses The Same Track.

Some Examples....

The Raging Bull= Non-Looping Train The Riddler's Revenge= Stand Up Train The Incredible Hulk At 10A= Sit-Down Train Medusa Or New SFMM One= Floorless Train

All Of These Coasters Use The Same Kind Of Track. They All Look the Same Just With Different Colors. So The Floorless Would Way Resemble the Riddler's Revenge. The Inversions On Riddler's Revenge Would Look Exactly The Same If They Were On The Floorless. So I Think They Will Not Add A Floorless For 2000 I Mean They Could Just Add A Floorless Train To The Riddler's Revenge. That Sounds Like A Gould Idea! -Shorty

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Masher at 4/18/00 8:28:59 PM

Sure the tracks are similar, but the ride experiences sure aren't. I have ridden both Riddler's Revenge as well as Medusa West and they are two very, very, distinct ride experiences.

A stand-up is as is says, "standing up" on a floor, where as a Floorless consists of sitting in a floorless train. These configurations provide major differences in how the human body is stabilized while riding. This is backed up by the major differences in the ride experiences, both physically and visually.

To me the comparison is as off base as to compare an inverted to a suspended just because they both hang from the track. This is all of course just MHO:)

As for B&M adding a floorless train to Riddler's Revenge, one must ask why? Then consider the fact that B&M designs track and train as a joint engineering effort tailored to make the ride experience of track and train compliment one another. To think that they would just plop a different train on the track seems a little, IMHO, "OUT THERE".

My hedge is a really choice woodie above 200ft tall. Heck hows about that with a floorless train:-)

Happy Coastering

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Fred at 4/19/00 12:03:19 AM

> Is it possible that you havn't yet ridden a floorless?

NOPE----I have been on Medusa last year. And what I mean is the layout for Riddler's Revenge could easily apply to a floorless coaster. SFMM has enough multilooping coasters with Viper and Riddler, they don't need a third one that has similar element to RR. That's WHAT I mean!

Just becuase I live in Utah, doesn't mean I don't travel to many parks around the country.

FRED

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Fred at 4/19/00 12:09:43 AM

> Of course the park needs some flat rides but
> SFMM is all about the coasters! They have
> such and impressive collection we wouldn't
> want them to waste money on flat rides.....I
> think it wouldn't be a dive machine.

If SFMM is all about coasters, they should make sure that there coasters are running at their best instead of ruining Revolution, Colossus, and Psyclone. Sure the park has Goliath, Riddler, Batman, Superman, Viper, and Ninja. But together they don't justify a $39 admission price.

RIdes like a Frisbee, Top Spin, Etc are not rides that are wasteful. In fact, I find them more thrilling and enjoyable than some the coasters at SFMM. SFMM really needs to have more balance and atmosphere and a whole new set of flat rides would satisfy that.

FRED

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Masher at 4/19/00 12:44:08 AM

NOPE----I have been on Medusa last year. And
> what I mean is the layout for Riddler's
> Revenge could easily apply to a floorless
> coaster. SFMM has enough multilooping
> coasters with Viper and Riddler, they don't
> need a third one that has similar element to
> RR. That's WHAT I mean! Just becuase I live
> in Utah, doesn't mean I don't travel to many
> parks around the country. FRED

Well that sure is comforting since the experience of a floorless compared to a stand-up is a very different ride experience.

You don't actually think SFMM is gonna add a floorless train and the required station changes to RR do you? Just curious.

Lastly, I have made the mistake several times in the past on replying to your messages politely asking for clarification, or God forbid with a different point of view. From the responses I get its clear to me you don't like explaining yourself or care to hear opinions that differ from yours. For the benifit of both of us I'll make this the last time I reply to one of your posts.

Happy Coastering

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Fred at 4/19/00 2:27:28 AM

> NOPE----I have been on Medusa last year. And
> Well that sure is comforting since the
> experience of a floorless compared to a
> stand-up is a very different ride
> experience. You don't actually think SFMM
> is gonna add a floorless train and the
> required station changes to RR do you? Just
> curious. Lastly, I have made the mistake
> several times in the past on replying to
> your messages politely asking for
> clarification, or God forbid with a
> different point of view. From the responses
> I get its clear to me you don't like
> explaining yourself or care to hear opinions
> that differ from yours. For the benifit of
> both of us I'll make this the last time I
> reply to one of your posts. Happy
> Coastering

Sorry! I apologize for that. I don't mean to sound rude. It's just that in the past I've explained myself over and over with some people until I am blue in the face, and they STILL DON'T GET THE POINT. (I'm not saying at all that is you). So that's why I have a hard time explaining myself so much, becuase I found out I have to explain EVERYTHING to get a point across or prevent someone from getting offended. It sometimes gets old and is the main reason why I stopped posting for awhile. :)

I mean look at the sincere post Chillforce made about Gay Day at SFGrAdv and then the unintentional chaos it caused. I THOUGHT he got his point across to avoid further arguement. But No. Someone had to be offended by something that was completely not intended.

I haven't posted on this board for awhile, so I'm sure many people here don't know that I have been to many parks around the country (at least 50) and have been on 223 coasters. If they knew such things, they wouldn't ask certain questions---if that makes sense.

But back to the floorless thing. Here's my point. I know a floorless and Stand-up coaster are very different experiences. However, I honestly don't think SFMM would get a floorless simply because it would be too similar to a stand-up TRACKWISE. I mean look at the elements that are found in a stand-up and floorless. You have a vertical loop, dive loop, and corkscrew. Only the cobra roll and zero-roll aren't on RR, but I don't think SFMM would build an entirely new coaster similar to RR just to include those two elements, despite the fact that Zero-g rolls are awesome!!

Actually, when you think about it, it WOULD actually be cheaper to install a floorless train on RR than build an entire new coaster. BUT DON'T WORRY---I know that ain't going to happen. And that's the main reason why I believe a floorless isn't going to SFMM. Instead, I think they'll be a coaster that will give riders a completely new experience, such as a Vertical Drop coaster.

One last thing. I like to hear different opinions from others just as long as they are well thought out opinions. I can't stand hearing opinions from people (and I'm not saying this is you at all, again) that just make no sense. Once I heard last year a prediction that SF Fiesta Texas was going to get a Batman clone. If that person applied just a little bit of logic to that situation, he/she would know that it would never happen with Sea World having the Great White just 20 minutes away.

If no one expressed their opinions on this board, there would be no need for it. When people express clear cut and well-thought out opinions about something, they start some of the best discussions on this board. Such as the arguement whether or not Superman:TE is a coaster or not. I welcome those thought provoking arguments. SO please do continue to respond to may post if you wish to. I promise to be nicer. :) My bark is much bigger than my bite. Anyone on this board who has met me can tell you I am not the jerk as I apparently appear to be here.

FRED

to start... by SFMMfreak at 4/19/00 2:27:12 PM

FLATRIDES: I like to hear people screaming when I am walking around a park. It makes it feel more like a fun park to hear people screaming, cuz to me, that is that sound of people having fun (call me twisted =0)

as for coasters:

DIVE MACHINE: It would be nice, having the first in the US of A. I am sure it would be fun too.

FLOORLESS: No floor. If they were to build one, it would (have to) be launched, most inversions, new inversions.

GIGA: Tall. fast...Goliath.

ok, I'm done. I just want some flatrides, and more themeing would be great!

~laterz~ jARED. User Submitted Picture

my page

What SFMM Needs--a few observations by EBL at 4/19/00 4:25:42 PM

The park needs:

More and better flat rides. Some of their current flat rides are almost 25 years old! There are a lot of new ones out there that provide some pretty decent thrills.

Better maintenance of facilities. There's way too much gum plastered all over the place, and graffiti painted on, or etched into, ride vehicles and in queue areas.

More extensive theming. If you're going to have themed areas, theme EVERYTHING, including the food. I've said before, for example, why isn't there any Asian food in Samarai Summit? Only a themed pizza place. When did pizza become an Asian dish? What about egg rolls, teriyaki bowls, fried shrimp/vegetables, etc.?

As much as I enjoy coasters, I think the park should make a pit stop in the coaster race so they can fix up what they have. SFMM has earned a reputation as a coaster park, but a variety of activities would please more people (not to mention diverting them from the coaster lines!).

Eric

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by Masher at 4/19/00 6:57:57 PM

Thanks for the apology Fred. Written language is such a tough medium to get ones point across. Be tolerant of this and relish that people take the time to ask questions. Getting too frustrated at this process is of no use for sure.

Trust me when I say that I make NO determination of ANYONES personalty based on what is posted on this board. People are just SOOOO different when they post versus normal age old face to face communication or even the more recent Phone method. Be wary of this and ensure that you clearly state what you mean when you post and take care and effort in replies to ensure frustation and anger don't kick in. This isn't easy! This is one of the main reasons I don't post a lot of originally authored message as it takes time to formulate your thoughts and more time to sincerly answer any question and to respond in a courteous and kind manner.

No for the funny part I broke / got lazy when I posted "is it possible you havn't ridden a Floorless". I even thought about this when I pressed the submit key:) I certainly never meant to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about or that you "Don't get around".

I havn't ridden Medusa East but I sure do LOVE Medusa west and Riddler's Revenge for that matter.

Take care and Happy Coastering

Masher

Re: What SFMM Needs--a few observations by bblade at 4/22/00 5:18:46 PM

> More extensive theming. If you're
> going to have themed areas, theme
> EVERYTHING, including the food. I've said
> before, for example, why isn't there any
> Asian food in Samarai Summit? Only a themed
> pizza place. When did pizza become an Asian
> dish? What about egg rolls, teriyaki bowls,
> fried shrimp/vegetables, etc.? As much as I
> enjoy coasters, I think the park should make
> a pit stop in the coaster race so they can
> fix up what they have. SFMM has earned a
> reputation as a coaster park, but a variety
> of activities would please more people (not
> to mention diverting them from the coaster
> lines!). Eric

I totally agree because I love themed attractions! Everyone does! It would be nice to have a really well themed attraction at SFMM like an Indiana Jones type of jeep ride or a Jurassic Park river Adventure ride. AS MUCH AS I LOVE COASTERS, I WOULD LOVE IT EVEN MORE IF SFMM STEPPED OUT OF THE RACE FOR A WHILE AND IMPROVED EVERYTHING

Re: What SFMM really needs right now by PINK FLOYD FANATIC at 4/23/00 12:31:39 AM

> Sure the tracks are similar, but the ride
> experiences sure aren't. I have ridden both
> Riddler's Revenge as well as Medusa West and
> they are two very, very, distinct ride
> experiences. A stand-up is as is says,
> "standing up" on a floor, where as
> a Floorless consists of sitting in a
> floorless train. These configurations
> provide major differences in how the human
> body is stabilized while riding. This is
> backed up by the major differences in the
> ride experiences, both physically and
> visually. To me the comparison is as off
> base as to compare an inverted to a
> suspended just because they both hang from
> the track. This is all of course just MHO:)
> As for B&M adding a floorless train to
> Riddler's Revenge, one must ask why? Then
> consider the fact that B&M designs track and
> train as a joint engineering effort tailored
> to make the ride experience of track and
> train compliment one another. To think that
> they would just plop a different train on
> the track seems a little, IMHO, "OUT
> THERE". My hedge is a really choice
> woodie above 200ft tall. Heck hows about
> that with a floorless train:-) Happy
> Coastering

Thats what I want too!!! The new woodies need to be at least 220 feet tall, 70 degree with a pullout at least 2/3 the way down to experience the sensation of the big drop! At least 7500 feet(per side) of track with airtime on EVERY hill sitting in ANY seat including the first drop! Tons of crossovers, and lots of laterals plus at least 3 or 4 tunnel and a dual track coaster for greater capacity and must have very good cushy roomy trains that are as good as the Viper(@SFGAm)trains with lapbars that stay in position where they are locked!(What about the new Vekomas woodie trains??) If SFMM can pull this off with all the criterias I have requested than I won't have to win the world's largest Powerball jackpot to achieve my dream since my dream would have been met! PLEASE SFMM YOU CAN DO IT!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

PFF