Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 1999 Best list, what will 2000 be? Will CP stay n1

1999 Best list, what will 2000 be? Will CP stay n1

OhioMike

Posted:
4/17/00 at
6:16:36 PM

Tooken from Thrill Ride page, poll from real people not, wierd 3 piece suite people.

Favorite Wood-Tracked Rollercoaster

This first question was pretty straightforward: you were asked to tell us which laminated-wood-tracked coaster is closest to your heart. The top ten responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it.

10. Six Flags America's Roar - 16 9. Six Flags Great America's Viper - 19 8. Paramount's Kings Dominion's Grizzly - 25 7. Six Flags Over Texas' Texas Giant - 26 6. Michigan's Adventures' Shivering Timbers - 27 5. Hersheypark's Wildcat - 39 4. Cedar Point's Mean Streak - 43 3. Knott's Berry Farm's GhostRider - 50 2. Busch Gardens Tampa's Gwazi - 52 1. Paramount's Kings Island's The Beast - 135 Just like last year, the beloved Beast was far and away the most popular choice. Yes, a solid two decades since this mightest of woodies began its career, there seems to be no end to its enduring popularity. But both Great Coasters and Custom Coasters should be proud of the high rankings their two most recent creations earned. I'll tell ya, The Son has a lot to live up to.

Favorite Steel-Tracked Rollercoaster Question No. 2 was also easy to qualify: you were asked to reveal that one steel-tracked coaster (be it a hypercoaster, a swinging inverted coaster, a "fixed-train" looping inverted coaster, etc.) that most especially made your day. The top ten responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it. 10. Busch Gardens Tampa's Kumba - 19 9. Tie: Islands of Adventure's Dueling Dragons, Six Flags Darien Lake's Superman: Ride of Steel - 20 8. Six Flags Magic Mountain's Riddler's Revenge - 25 7. Busch Gardens Tampa's Montu - 26 6. Tie: Six Flags Great America's Raging Bull, Cedar Point's Raptor - 35 5. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Alpengeist - 43 4. Six Flags Great Adventure's Medusa - 47 3. Islands of Adventure's Incredible Hulk - 60 2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Apollo's Chariot - 65 1. Cedar Point's Magnum XL-200 - 88 Another long-time favorite, also celebrating a major anniversary this year, walked away with this category. Will Arrow's Magnum ever be deposed? Don't know for sure, but if anybody is gonna come up with a coaster to do it, it'll be Bolliger & Mabillard. With the exception of Magnum and the Intamin-engineered Superman: Ride of Steel, every other coaster on this list is a B&M machine. Impressive.

Favorite Freefall Ride Freefall rides were defined to include any attraction that involves a vertical fall, SkyCoasters included. The top nine responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it. 9. Three-Way Tie: "Any SkyCoaster," Dorney Park's Dominator, Six Flags Great America's Giant Drop - 13 8. Six Flags Magic Mountain's Superman: The Escape - 26 7. Kennywood's Pitt Fall - 27 6. The Stratosphere Tower's Big Shot - 28 5. IOA's Dr. Doom's FearFall - 31 4. Knott's Berry Farm's Supreme Scream - 37 3. Paramount's Kings Island's Drop Zone Stunt Tower - 60 2. Disney-MGM Studios' Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror - 104 1. Cedar Point's Power Tower - 134 Both the Power Tower and the Tower of Terror held onto their 1998 positions, but a bunch of newbies muscled into the action this year, knocking some old favorites down several notches.

Favorite Flume/Rapids Ride If at some point during the trip, H2O does the job of pushing you along (including any of the new flume/coaster hybrids), voters were able to lavish praise upon it here. The top ten responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it.

10. Tie: Cedar Point's Thunder Canyon, Hersheypark's Tidal Force - 15 9. Universal Studios Hollywood's Jurassic Park River Adventure - 18 8. IOA's Jurassic Park River Adventure - 20 7. IOA's Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges - 23 6. Cedar Point's Snake River Falls - 24 5. Disneyland's Splash Mountain - 32 4. SeaWorld Orlando's Journey To Atlantis - 44 3. IOA's Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls - 47 2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Escape From Pompeii - 48 1. Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain - 100 Per usual, WDW's "Song of the South"-inspired flumer was a clear winner, just like the year before. However, the Islands certainly made their mark in this category, with all three of that new park's aquatically-motivated rides making the top ten.

Favorite Thrill Ride The grand finale - Question 9 asked: Out of all the scream machines you've ever experienced, which one satisfies deep down like no other? A lot of folks confessed that it was difficult to narrow it all down to a single choice and I'm sure one voter spoke for many when he wrote: "My favorite ride is : THE RIDE I AM ON RIGHT NOW AND AM HAVING A BALL BEING THERE." But just about every single ballot included a specific answer. (And to the generous soul who replied with "www.thrillride.com," thanks from the bottom of my heart :) The top ten responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it. 10.Tie: Six Flags Great America's Raging Bull, Disney-MGM's Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror - 18 9. Six Flags Magic Mountain's Superman: The Escape - 21 8. Cedar Point's Raptor - 22 7. Paramount's Kings Island's Beast - 23 6. Six Flags Great Adventure's Medusa - 27 5. IOA's Incredible Hulk - 29 4. IOA's Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - 31 3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Alpengeist - 35 2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Apollo's Chariot - 37 And the most stupendous thrill ride out there, as chosen by the readers of ThrillRide!, is

65 Votes It may have taken a back seat to Alpengeist last year, but in a fitting tribute to the end of the century and to Arrow Dynamics, the company that created the modern steel coaster, Cedar Point's Magnum XL-200 raced to the head of the pack this year. It's an honor justly deserved. Sure, it may not be your favorite thrill ride, or even your favorite coaster. But scream machine historians will continuously look back and recognize that this single attraction, the world's first rollercoaster to break the 200 foot height barrier, the ride that spawned the term "hypercoaster," was a monumental stepping stone towards everything that has followed. Though it will soon be overshadowed by a coaster that is another 100 feet taller, Magnum is now and shall always be one of the most extraordinary thrill rides ever created. Long may it run. Once again, congratulations to The Point, and, of course, Arrow Dynamics. Magnum-XL 200 logo artwork courtesy Cedar Fair, L.P. All rights reserved.

Favorite Amusement/Theme Park Before you scroll down, see if you can guess which park won... ;)

The top ten responses appear below in ascending order, with the total number of votes each ride received alongside it.

10. Six Flags Great America - 14 9. Kennywood - 15 8. Walt Disney World - 16 7. Paramount's Kings Island - 25 6. Disneyland - 26 5. Six Flags Great Adventure - 32 4. Six Flags Magic Mountain - 44 3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg - 73 2. Islands of Adventure - 98 and, Number One:

175 Votes

In its inaugural year, Islands of Adventure blasted all the way to Number Two, a phenomenal achievement. But just as it did in 1997 and 1998, The Point secured highest honors by a commanding margin. As one voter explained,

"...A great ride selection, both traditional & thrilling, great ride-ops, great food, amazing coasters (all kinds), a beautiful midway with great retro decorations, and an atmosphere which does what Disneyland did for me as a kid. At the Point you see adults and kids alike having the time of their lives. I don't know anyplace closer to heaven-on-earth than a little place up North called Cedar Point."

Congratulations to Cedar Point for a stunning three-peat! Will they do it again in 2000?

Cedar Point logo artwork courtesy Cedar Fair, L.P. All rights reserved.

Wierd thought and predictions for 2000 by OhioMike at 4/17/00 6:36:29 PM

So in the peoples mind in wood the beast rains number one threw 20 years. But Will the Son, be a shoe in for 2000? It proably will, just on its noririety alone. But if it stays there for years will be the only proving point. And will some after ridding it think? The father is still better???? Another is that "as this poll goes", there will be a big change in Best Steel. Goliath has already proven, it is a great ride to many. The question is now will the MF, be able to compete with it. Hight and speed dont necisarilly give you a win, So the two should be close. And all the talk about the amazing Hilex on Goliath. May be enuff, to override the hieght, of MF. Then Where will that leave out the Magnum. Will it fall most proably to 3. Or mabey even further????? I know some thik poll's are bias, but like any compotition. There fun. It brings together conversation, competivness, and a sense for parks to try and go further and beyond.

Okay here's my Top 10 prediction for 2000 by Superbatboy at 4/18/00 12:39:09 PM

Just for new coasters:

1. Millennium Force 2. Stealth 3. Medusa West 4. Goliath 5. Batman Knight Flight 6. Kraken 7. Son Of Beast 8. Superman Krypton Coaster 9. Superman UE 10.The New Coaster at Disneyland's new park...

What do you guys think it will be???

Re: Okay here's my Top 10 prediction for 2000 by CoastaPlaya at 4/18/00 1:52:23 PM

> Just for new coasters: 1. Millennium Force
> 2. Stealth 3. Medusa West 4. Goliath 5.
> Batman Knight Flight 6. Kraken 7. Son Of
> Beast 8. Superman Krypton Coaster 9.
> Superman UE 10.The New Coaster at
> Disneyland's new park... What do you guys
> think it will be???

I'd have to say 1-2-3 would be a photo finish between MF, Stealth and SOB, between which the debate will never end! MF is the first coaster or thrill ride to actually *scare* the 'Playa since the Gemini in '79 (when it was the world's 2nd tallest) but SOB makes me ITCH to ride it like nothing else does.

I don't think SUE or DCA's new coaster will make the top ten; they'd be squeezed out by The Legend and Boulder Dash, if not the Boss, too. I could be way, way, WAY wrong....but IMHO thus far, the Villian looks like more fun than SUE.

-CPlaya