Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long)

Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long)

/\ Blast Coaster

Posted:
4/17/00 at
5:02:37 PM

I arrived in the parking lot around Noon, got in, and got my pass processed. I intended for the first coaster of the day to be Two Face, but seeing as it was temporarily closed, I hopped aboard the Wild One for my first ride since the reprofiling. Let me tell you, it seems a lot faster and smoother with pure airtime on most of the hills (Second and fifth especially) and the helix now is a lateral-g lover’s delight. WO is IMO, the most an out & back woodie can be. Next up was JJ. The Joker’s gone downhill a lot from just last year as the shoulder restraints now don’t really help out any more with preventing headbanging. The launch is still, like any other LIM coaster, one of the ride’s best moments. While at the highest point, some sort of teal structure is visible. I was able to confirm that it is not picnic pavilions on a later ride. It’s sitting back in the area that was formerly used to store S:RoS’ track and support structure and it could just be pieces for a new pavilion, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s for a new ride. Back to JJ, up to the beginning of the helixes, the ride is just slightly jerky, but the last half of the figure eight and the final corkscrew are where the very worst headbanging occurs. After Joker’s Jinx, next up was the Mind Eraser. The two additional rows, even in a single train operation, improved waiting time until, for some unobvious reason, decided to test it for atleast 10 min. When ME finally re-opened, I got the front seat. This is one of Vekoma’s smoothest and even seemed a hair faster with a 10-car train. Not too much headbanging and a fun ride with some great leg-choppers in the final “double spin” even if SLC’s are widely cloned in the US. Decided to cool off with a dip on Renegade Rapids next which turned out to be nearly a walk-on ride. RR is about the wettest and wildest white water rapids ride I’ve ever been on. At one point, the raft was carrying 6 inches of H2O with massive rapids. Completely drenched from RR, I decided to dry off with a ride on my #1 woodie of all time – ROAR! I was relieved to see that the trains weren’t slow or “shuffling” like at SFMW. Same wild, positive-g packed experience as always. Also, if you want a great view of Superman, ride Roar. Up the chain-lift, there’s a spectacular view of the entire course. They haven’t toned down the ride at all since I first rode it and I hopefully never will. After the ride concluded, Two-Face finally opened. I’m glad that SFA didn’t choose to install a Boomerang instead of TF, with it being probably the best operating steelie in the park. Rising 14 stories, you can see a new stone sign with the letters R-O-A-R and old Fright Fest theming signs. Suddenly, you drop with some great negative gs, but the 5 positives really come going through the loop and cobra roll on the return trip. IMHO, best of Vekoma’s work on the East Coast. Next was a trip in Wild One’s 2nd car and then I dropped in for a quick Tower of Doom ride which was a walk-on. Then, headed back over to Gotham not just to ride JJ again but to check more on construction progress. There’s a new gray path leading around JJ to the new expansion with S:RoS and Metropolis Gifts, and Krypton Comet on the path. Looking up at Superman: Ride of Steel is pure eye candy with that steep descent and sweeping turn right over what will soon be a smaller pond. BTW, was that you on the lift hill for S:RoS along with a couple others, SAM? I believe that you were going to take that walk-through of construction on the 16th. Can’t wait for it to open. In other new park attraction news, the new Alpine Bobs dubbed Penguin’s Polar Express, is open, but with the old marquee Alpine Bobs sign still up. Framework is now up for Metropolis Gifts. Krypton Comet is fully in place and looks ready for testing. The ingeniously named Octopus I believe was running part of the day. There’s also a new show in Looney Tunes Movie Town not listed on SFA’s official site listed in the show guide / park map. Overall, a great day at SFA. There was next to no litter all day long and the employees and ride ops seemed much friendlier and quicker than last year. One thing they could use though that would vastly improve the condition and look of the park is many, many more trees. A single tree is hard to come upon especially in Skull Island and Gotham City but I noticed some ready for planting behind WO. If you had a bad experience at Six Flags America last year, you might want to consider re-visiting, this park definitely has a lot of potential.

COASTERnet - America's Best Coasters! (coasternet.danimation.com)

Re: Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long) by Rob at 4/17/00 6:31:39 PM

Blast Coaster wrote:

> WO is IMO, the most an out &
> back woodie can be.

I agreed with all of your comments on Wild One. It is an awesome out and back with strong airtime and a powerful helix finale.

> Next up was JJ. The Joker’s gone
> downhill a lot from just last year
> as the shoulder restraints now don’t
> really help out any more with preventing >headbanging. The launch is still,like any
> other LIM coaster, one of the ride’s best >moments.

It's a Premier LIM,that should be expected.

> While at the highest point, some sort
> of teal structure is visible. I was able
> to confirm that it is not picnic pavilions
> on a later ride. It’s sitting back in the
> area that was formerly used to store S:RoS’
> track and support structure and it could
> just be pieces for a new pavilion, but I’m >keeping my fingers crossed that it’s for a new >ride.

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble bud,but what you saw is structure from what remains of Lighning Loops. The old Arrow Shuttle loop was relocated from SFGAd to SFA several years ago and it was removed to add the new for 99 Two Face.

> Back to JJ, up to the beginning of the
> helixes,the ride is just slightly jerky,
> but the last half of the figure eight and the >final corkscrew are where the very worst >headbanging occurs.

It's a Premier,that's to be expected.

> Two-Face finally opened.
> I’m glad that SFA didn’t choose
> to install a Boomerang instead of TF, with
> it being probably the best operating steelie
> in the park. Rising 14 stories, you can see
> a new stone sign with the letters R-O-A-R
> and old Fright Fest theming signs. Suddenly,
> you drop with some great negative gs, but
> the 5 positives really come going through
> the loop and cobra roll on the return trip.
> IMHO, best of Vekoma’s work on the
> East Coast. .

I agree with all your opinions on Two Face. I too, think it's Vekoma's best work on the East Coast and it is,until S:RoS opens,the park's best steel.

Overall, a
> great day at SFA. There was next to no
> litter all day long and the employees and
> ride ops seemed much friendlier and quicker
> than last year. One thing they could use
> though that would vastly improve the
> condition and look of the park is many, many
> more trees. A single tree is hard to come
> upon especially in Skull Island and Gotham
> City but I noticed some ready for planting
> behind WO. If you had a bad experience at
> Six Flags America last year, you might want
> to consider re-visiting, this park
> definitely has a lot of potential.

Sounds good. I'll be back there for my third visit in two years as soon as I get the chance.

/rsv

Re: Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long) by /\ Blast Coaster at 4/17/00 6:40:58 PM

The Python had a gray structure, this was definately teal.

COASTERnet - America's Best Coasters! (coasternet.danimation.com)

Re: Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long) by Rob at 4/18/00 2:22:28 AM

Blast Coaster wrote:

> The Python had a gray structure, this was
> definately teal.

Funny,I could've SWORN I saw that track last season when CZ Invaded SFA and we rode the train. I asked and was told it was track from Lighning Loops. Sam,what do you think?

/rsv

Re: Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long) by Sam A. Marks at 4/19/00 6:15:33 PM

> Blast Coaster wrote: Funny,I could've SWORN
> I saw that track last season when CZ Invaded
> SFA and we rode the train. I asked and was
> told it was track from Lighning Loops.
> Sam,what do you think? /rsv

From what I've seen I can assure you that the track in the back is not a new ride, but an old one, I've posted a pic looking thru the lift over to that area on my SFA Superman page.

At: http://members.aol.com/sfamerica/SFA..html

Re: Six Flags America TR 4/16 (Very Long) by Eric at 4/22/00 6:18:13 PM

From what I've seen I can assure you that the
> track in the back is not a new ride, but an
> old one, I've posted a pic looking thru the
> lift over to that area on my SFA Superman
> page. At:
> http://members.aol.com/sfamerica/SFA..html

WEell the trakc you see is the python track if it's teal. That's the colour of it, beacuse I remember it. Here's something cool though. My mom has a whole bunch of 10 dollar off coupons that are like season memberships. All you need is 1 that you can keep using over and over again all season. And it's good for up to 6 poeple too. I got like probbaly 200 of em'

Eric