Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY!

SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY!

Mighty Mike

Posted:
4/17/00 at
2:28:36 PM

just came back from a trip to SFMM over the weekend. I noticed that the midcourse brakes were on considerably when compared to last month. the ride is still ok, just not as great. oh well, what else can you expect from SFMM. it's not like they take special care of their coasters (unlike KBF). they just race to build the fastest, tallest, first ofit's kind coaster, then slap on the brakes and restraints. Too bad.

I wonder if they are going to put OTSR on Goliath. That would just ice the cake.

Re: SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY! by Bruce Jensen at 4/17/00 5:05:27 PM

Mike - you wrote:

> just came back from a trip to SFMM over the
> weekend. I noticed that the midcourse brakes
> were on considerably when compared to last
> month. the ride is still ok, just not as
> great.

I will respectfully disagree. I rode it last Monday, and found the block brakes to be roughly as they were in February, that is, just enough to make the helix tolerable and to effectively run 3 trains, which greatly accelerated the line. I did notice that the brakes became slightly tighter during the warmth of the PM compared to the cool AM - is this what you noticed? Overall, I thought Goliath was very much the ride it was in February, except for a couple of minor points unrelated to the braking.

In any case, it easily remains my No. 1 steel coaster.

Bruce Jensen

Re: SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY! by EBL at 4/17/00 7:46:41 PM

And yet I rode it last Saturday and it was just like when I rode it on Media Day in February.

Eric

Re: SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY! by ps1 at 4/17/00 8:50:14 PM

Lets say that the brakes, have been programed to see a slower speed out of the brakes. Does this surprise you? If so, maybe you need to think a liitle about that particular ride. Lets see, it has had a considerable amount of downtime, a "first of its kind" from its manufacturer. Did you ever think that its speed was creating a problem with structure? Its is quite possible. Especially from a new ride. Or maybe it was going TOO fast into the other brakes, making it a VERY uncomfortable stop? Just a thought. Before you verbally abuse any park, get ALL the facts!!!!

Re: SFMM tones down Goliath ALREADY! by Flare at 4/17/00 9:22:09 PM

I wonder if
> they are going to put OTSR on Goliath. That
> would just ice the cake.

lol...you're silly...and i mean that in the most pleasant way! :-)

Dave