Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Fate of the Suspended Coaster?

The Fate of the Suspended Coaster?

swOHman

Posted:
4/17/00 at
1:35:10 AM

What do you think will become of the suspended coaster. With the inverts, Suspendeds have become less popular and no new ones have been built in a few years. I discuss this with Chuck and Rob Nungester on Friday at PKI and we thought they were pretty much dead. What are your thoughts? Do you think any new ones will be built? Can you think of an addition to them that could make them more popular?

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: The Fate of the Suspended Coaster? by joe(PCW) at 4/17/00 1:48:58 AM

> What do you think will become of the
> suspended coaster. With the inverts,
> Suspendeds have become less popular and no
> new ones have been built in a few years. I
> discuss this with Chuck and Rob Nungester on
> Friday at PKI and we thought they were
> pretty much dead. What are your thoughts? Do
> you think any new ones will be built? Can
> you think of an addition to them that could
> make them more popular? swOHman a.k.a.
> Brian

I wouldn't say they are less popular, people love these rides and lines are pretty long for them. I know the vortex at PCW and topgun at PKI are rides that people really enjoy. And lets not forget the speed they pack in is pretty cool at 100km/hr. Although I heard iron dragon is really bad at cedar point. I Hope to see a really big suspended coaster open somewhere, maybe at a smaller size park where attention is really needed. I dont think there is much you can do to change the design though. Maybe build it on a mountain like DM @Marineland Canada, and make them much much longer because they are way too short.

joe(PCW)

Re: The Fate of the Suspended Coaster? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/17/00 2:46:26 AM

IMHO the Iron Lung at CP is bad and the SFAW DCLR8 version are scraming to tear me down. Yet, Big Bad Wolf is a constant personal favorite, and I think half of this is the themeing at the start of the ride, followed byt he absolute best drop by a suspended I have ever rode. PKI Top Gun is too short to even think about, just like to know what they were thinking?

There is a place for the Suspended, if they present and design it right. Can they do it is then will they do it?

ED

Re: The Fate of the Suspended Coaster? by Coasterr at 4/17/00 9:19:35 AM

> IMHO the Iron Lung at CP is bad and the SFAW
> DCLR8 version are scraming to tear me down.
> Yet, Big Bad Wolf is a constant personal
> favorite, and I think half of this is the
> themeing at the start of the ride, followed
> byt he absolute best drop by a suspended I
> have ever rode. PKI Top Gun is too short to
> even think about, just like to know what
> they were thinking? There is a place for
> the Suspended, if they present and design it
> right. Can they do it is then will they do
> it? ED

I agree, also. Iron Dragon is for little kids in my opinion. Its just too boring for someone thats a little older. I think the best one that Ive been on was the Ninja@MM. Its short, but its fast and fun.

My two cents on suspendeds by Alpengeist Alpengeist Profile at 4/17/00 9:48:50 AM

I have to agree that with the introduction of the invert, suspendeds are pretty much useless. Although, Big Bad Wolf is one of my all time favorites. I think with the correct theming and a killer drop (ie the second drop into the Rhine on BBW) it can be a good coaster. But then again, if I had to decide between an invert (preferably B&M) and a suspended, I'd go invert. There's not much a suspended can do while there's numerous possiblities for an invert.

Re: My two cents on suspendeds by Coasterr at 4/17/00 9:53:56 AM

> I have to agree that with the introduction
> of the invert, suspendeds are pretty much
> useless. Although, Big Bad Wolf is one of my
> all time favorites. I think with the correct
> theming and a killer drop (ie the second
> drop into the Rhine on BBW) it can be a good
> coaster. But then again, if I had to decide
> between an invert (preferably B&M) and a
> suspended, I'd go invert. There's not much a
> suspended can do while there's numerous
> possiblities for an invert.

Yeah, I guess they are dead. I guess when Arrow first implemented the suspended coaster they thought they had something going, intil B&M perfected it one step further and introduce something far more superior. I would also prefer a invert coaster, heck, who wouldnt..: )

Suspended wild mice. by Capler at 4/17/00 10:36:50 AM

> Brian

SetPoint Inc. Swingthings are suspended coasters. They have taken the old idea and put new life back into it. They built Pteradon Flyers at IOA and Flying Super Saturator at PCarowinds. They are able to theme the coasters anyway a park desires. In the case of Super Saturator, it is quite innovative. I would expect to see various versions of Swingthings pop up around the country. I think of them as suspended wild mice.

Re: The Fate of the Suspended Coaster? by spaz at 4/17/00 11:10:36 AM

> Brian

The suspended is dead even arrow's moved on, to the arrowbatic.. Top Gun at Pki and the Wolf at BGW are awesome , however I don't see anymore being built.

Re: What is the difference? by Todd at 4/17/00 12:08:56 PM

What is the difference between an invert and a suspended? I know that Top Gun at PKI is a suspended but what is an invert?

No! Don't let them die! by Buckeye Brad at 4/17/00 12:36:37 PM

I would love to see the “return” of the suspended coaster. One of the best things about these coasters is that they can deliver a fast, furious, out of control ride but at the same time they are smooth (not “jerky”). I also find that the nausea factor is quite low (anyone agree?). The features that suspended coasters need (IMHO) to make a comeback are these:

1. 150” drop (this seems to be the standard for most new non-hyper coasters) 2. Track length of at least 3500’ 3. More swinging! They should take advantage of what they do best! 4. Speed! Speed! Speed! If you’re not going fast, you won’t swing. 5. Sideless, floorless trains (like on inverted coasters) to enhance the flying experience and that “We’re gonna crash into the trees!” feeling. And stick with two-across seating for better views of those trees. 6. Of course, a layout with lots of trees (like Iron Dragon and BBWolf) and other sadistic obstructions. Tunnels would be nice too. 7. No inversions. If we want inversions, we can ride Inverted coasters. Instead, lots of 90+degree banking (like the second hills on PKI Top Gun and Millennium Force). Plus, it’s likely that inversions will never be practical on suspended coasters anyway. Many have heard about the problems Arrow had with this. But then again, someone figured out a way to stick a loop into a wooden coaster, so you never know. 8. New track elements (any ideas?). 9. Pivoting wing rudders (like on PKI’s Flying Eagles) letting the riders steer. Just kidding. 10. Better theming. I was too young to ride the Bat at PKI, but those trains looked awesome! 11. Most importantly, suspended coasters need a craving by the public for a comeback. Most types of coasters have made big comebacks recently (Mega-Woodies, mega-loopers, stand-up, boomerang, etc.) With a few new twists, I see no reason why suspended coasters can’t do the same. Also, IMHO the only parks that have really good suspended coasters are PKI, PCW, SFMM, and BGW (but even those are debatable, and sorry if I missed anyone’s favorite). But that leaves just about every other park in the country as a potential customer. I guess the bigger question is this: can the suspended coaster compete with the awesome new types of coasters coming out in the next decade: Flying (Stealth), LIM-launched, Thrust air 2000, B&M dive coasters, 300’ giga-coasters, the rumored bullet coasters, and even Arrow’s own “Arrobatic”. That’s some pretty serious competition. Who knows, maybe someone will try to out-do Vekoma with a “swinging Stealth”lay-down type ride. Oh baby, THAT would be intense.

One feature Suspended coasters will probably never have is airtime, but I think they more than make up for it with arguably the most unique coaster riding experience out there.

Don’t forget that its been almost 20 years since the opening of the Bat. Hopefully somebody will step up and resurrect this legend!

Re: Inverted vs Suspended by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/18/00 9:31:47 AM

Suspended coasters have a car suspended from the overhead track. The riders are enclosed within the car like on a traditional coaster. An invert just has seats, no car, so your feet dangle freely. PKI's Face/Off is inverted.

> What is the difference between an invert and
> a suspended? I know that Top Gun at PKI is a
> suspended but what is an invert?

Re: Inverted vs Suspended by Capler at 4/18/00 10:44:52 AM

> Suspended coasters have a car suspended from
> the overhead track. The riders are enclosed
> within the car like on a traditional
> coaster. An invert just has seats, no car,
> so your feet dangle freely. PKI's Face/Off
> is inverted.

Riders are not always enclosed in a car. Your feet dangle on Swingthings. The big difference between suspended and inverted coasters is in the design and function. In a nut shell, inverts are able to do corkscrews and loops while suspended only swing and bank from side to side.