Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: PKD 4/15 (and more)

TR: PKD 4/15 (and more)

Coaster 3:16

Posted:
4/16/00 at
9:19:24 PM

I read the thread below about PKD opening day (and other days thus far this year) from CoasterDan. I can say as a huge PKD fan, going to the park on April 1 was not easy. As Dan said, the park was quite simply not up to its typical levels. I didn't read the replies until I got back from this trip, but I have a few topics I want to discuss:

Rebel Yell: I am biased as to this ride. It could go 5 mph and they could have an employee standing at the turnaround punching you in the face as you go by and I would still love this ride. Trying to be unbiased, I still believe that the first drop and the turnaround drop are fantastic. I never thought much of the return trip and have noticed that the out portion can still deliver from time to time. It was decent or better on Saturday. Jeff said that two drops does not a ride make, and that's a good point, but for me two drops is enough to make a good ride.

Employees: Well below PKD standards on opening day, but absolutely spectacular on Saturday. I was so worried about this after April 1 that I was going to count how many "extraordinary" things employees did on Saturday to see if any of them were trying. I defined "extraordinary" as anything that an employee would do to be nice that they didn't have to do and you wouldn't typically see at other corporate parks. I quit counting at 11:45 when the count reached 12 and I was satisfied that the typically awesome PKD employee attitude had returned. I only saw stacking at Anaconda the entire day, and I don't know why it was being stacked because the kids were really working hard. Its not that they weren't trying I just think they needed more practice.

Volcano: Still closed. A note to PKD from one of your biggest fans - You Owe Us.

Grizzly: Saturday was the exact reason I love the Grizzly. With the rains, it was running extremely well. I mean it. And the crew on the Grizzly was just fantastic. Not only were they fast, but they were extremly friendly. With smaller crowds, they were talking to the guests, joking with us. They were more than just reading their spiel over the microphones, which really can add to an experience imo. In fact, with riders high-fiving the crew as the train pulled out of the station and the drivers carrying on coversations with guests over the microphones I swore I was at Knoebels. I went back to the park for a few hours on Sunday morning and one of the girls was working Grizzly again and recognized me from the previous day, continuing conversations where they left off. This is not the first time this has happened at PKD and it was great to see the employees back to previous PKD standards and beyond.

The Crowds: Awesome! Light crowds but it was the annual cheerleading competition and it was raining. Cheerleading competition and rain. Cheerleaders and rain...excuse me, I was having flashbacks (see, there were a lot of cheerleaders there who had spent the day in the rain).

Overall: Saturday simply supported the reason PKD is my favorite thing in the world. Well-run rides, kids having a blast at Nickelodeon Central and Kidzville, and the best corporate employees I have ever seen. Hopefully, this is a sign of what we can expect this season and we can chalk up April 1 to Opening Day Jitters. Did I mention the cheerleaders in the rain?

A better written Trip Report is now available in the April 17 issue of View From The Back, which includes news on potential future attractions at Paramount Parks!! Now online at msnhomepages.talkcity.com/ResortRd/coaster316

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

View From The Back

Re: TR: PKD 4/15 (and more) by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/16/00 10:42:36 PM

> Rebel Yell: I am biased as to this ride. It
> could go 5 mph and they could have an
> employee standing at the turnaround punching
> you in the face as you go by and I would
> still love this ride. Trying to be unbiased,
> I still believe that the first drop and the
> turnaround drop are fantastic.

_______

LOL!!!!!I agree wholeheartedly! I would not rate the RY as a great coaster by ANY means, but it is definitely a fun coaster IMO and still makes me laugh. Many memories from early childhood may have something to do with this, but your right - the first drop and turnaround drop(especially) are VERY good. This is not bias talking - it is a fact. The rest is lacking, but those two drops are great. ________________

>With smaller crowds, they were
> talking to the guests, joking with us. They
> were more than just reading their spiel over
> the microphones, which really can add to an
> experience imo. In fact, with riders
> high-fiving the crew as the train pulled out
> of the station and the drivers carrying on
> coversations with guests over the
> microphones I swore I was at Knoebels.

Jeff, I can't count the times I have experienced this atmosphere at PKD - especially on Grizzly late at night. I have had many good natured conversations w/ ride crews at Grizzly(and all crews at PKD)and at night the atmosphere in the Grizzly station is anything but coorporate. I've also had lots of high fives from ride crews as the train departs from the station and heard lots of ad lib over the microphone -- MANY times. Any PKD scanners reading this and getting mad should commend these employees! This kind of atmosphere adds to the customers experience and is one of the main reasons that I am always excited to spend a day at PKD as the years go by. Good TR Jeff! --K

Re: TR: PKD 4/15 (and more) by Ride Ridder at 4/16/00 10:52:06 PM

> Volcano: Still closed. A note to PKD from
> one of your biggest fans - You Owe Us.

Has this been closed all year thus far in the season, or is it a day-to-day open/closed with tech difficulties? I hope it's open tommorrow. Thanks

Ride Ridder (Tommy Priestley)

Re: TR: PKD 4/15 (and more) by Coaster 3:16 at 4/17/00 6:10:48 AM

Has this been closed all year thus far in the
> season, or is it a day-to-day open/closed
> with tech difficulties? I hope it's open
> tommorrow. Thanks Ride Ridder (Tommy
> Priestley)

It has been a day-to-day thing. I've been to the park 3 times thus far this year and it has been opened for a total of 1/2 day. I left early Sunday and they were saying maybe it would open later that day and testing Saturday and Sunday looked ok. I hope it is open for you.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: TR: PKD 4/15 (and more) by Capler at 4/17/00 11:17:20 AM

>
> Volcano: Still closed. A note to PKD from
> one of your biggest fans - You Owe Us.

Volcano is killing PKD and they are not going to let their big star attraction do this for much longer. I expect PKD to get a big "monkey off our backs, egg out of our faces" attraction next year. I was leaning towards Stealth for the longest but now I'm changing. PKD may get their first B&M in the form of a floorless while Carowinds get Stealth. I say this because Stealth would benefit Carowinds more in terms of getting droves to the park. PKD need a big long coaster. And they need to get a floorless before SFA or BGW gets one.

Re: Cool attendants by MrDan at 4/18/00 3:12:41 AM

> ____________ Jeff, I can't count the times
> I have experienced this atmosphere at PKD -
> especially on Grizzly late at night. I have
> had many good natured conversations w/ ride
> crews at Grizzly(and all crews at PKD)and at
> night the atmosphere in the Grizzly station
> is anything but coorporate. I've also had
> lots of high fives from ride crews as the
> train departs from the station and heard
> lots of ad lib over the microphone -- MANY
> times.

I know what you mean by how much you love to hear new ad lib and have employee's talk to you. The only park I've ever been to where people took time out to talk to me was SFGAm (out of about 12 parks I've been too) and that's very rare, but it's great! I can still remember last year when there was a guy on Raging Bull making up different speils every time. He was hilarious!

Another time one of Viper's attendents personally welcomed me andmy friend onto the ride via the microphone... "Just to let everybody know, Dan and Max are riding in the front this time, so if anybody doesn't like the ride -- they're steering."

Attitudes like this are usually the best things in the park, even beating out the roller coasters themselves. I've also had quite a number of other expiarences like this on B:TR and American Eagle...

dan