Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question about the removal of Morgan trains

Question about the removal of Morgan trains

Carly G.

Posted:
4/16/00 at
6:09:23 PM

Is it really true that Premier is planning to discontinue the use of the D.H. Morgan fiberglass trains, on all of their wooden coasters? I know for a fact that the Riverside Cyclone has had its Morgans replaced with PTC rolling stock. I've heard a rumor from somebody who was present at a SFMM meeting this past winter, a few months prior to the park's opening, that management made a brief discussion of replacing the Colossus trains, so that the forward/backward riding configuration could be put into use more often. According to this informant, a disicion was not reached. PGA has been getting some complaints (and, reportedly, law suit threats) regarding the trains on the Grizzly. Apparently, several guests have come of the coaster with minor injuries to the legs and back. They've blamed this on the trains, and by some accounts, their removal is immenant. The Texas Cyclone at SFAW, had a refurbishment done to its Morgans recently, but people seem to be getting really tired of the enclosed headrests, and have made complaints. Plans have supposedly been discussed by park management, for a replacement next year. Does anybody have any solid information on these incidents. If so I would appreciate some feedback on this subject. Thank you.

Re: Question about the removal of Morgan trains by KAZ at 4/17/00 11:56:49 AM

> Is it really true that Premier is planning
> to discontinue the use of the D.H. Morgan
> fiberglass trains, on all of their wooden
> coasters? I know for a fact that the
> Riverside Cyclone has had its Morgans
> replaced with PTC rolling stock. I've heard
> a rumor from somebody who was present at a
> SFMM meeting this past winter, a few months
> prior to the park's opening, that management
> made a brief discussion of replacing the
> Colossus trains, so that the
> forward/backward riding configuration could
> be put into use more often. According to
> this informant, a disicion was not reached.
> PGA has been getting some complaints (and,
> reportedly, law suit threats) regarding the
> trains on the Grizzly. Apparently, several
> guests have come of the coaster with minor
> injuries to the legs and back. They've
> blamed this on the trains, and by some
> accounts, their removal is immenant. The
> Texas Cyclone at SFAW, had a refurbishment
> done to its Morgans recently, but people
> seem to be getting really tired of the
> enclosed headrests, and have made
> complaints. Plans have supposedly been
> discussed by park management, for a
> replacement next year. Does anybody have any
> solid information on these incidents. If so
> I would appreciate some feedback on this
> subject. Thank you.

All I know is that Morgan has stopped building wooden coaster trains. I was told this by a mechanic for the SCBB Giant Dipper. He also told me that they now have go to PTC for spare parts, or manufacture them in their own machine shop. This may be the reason parks will be replacing their Morgans with PTCs.

What Really Happened to the Morgan Trains by EBL at 4/17/00 8:13:52 PM

Some years back, in the early '90s, PTC bought the Morgan coaster train business. For awhile (and maybe still), they marketed them as the PTC "California Cars." To my knowledge, no new ones have appeared on any coasters since then.

About the spare parts--it makes sense to order them from PTC since they now own the rights to the former Morgan trains.

Hope that cleared everything up.

Eric

Re: What Really Happened to the Morgan Trains by KAZ at 4/17/00 11:21:51 PM

> Some years back, in the early '90s, PTC
> bought the Morgan coaster train business.
> For awhile (and maybe still), they marketed
> them as the PTC "California Cars."
> To my knowledge, no new ones have appeared
> on any coasters since then. About the spare
> parts--it makes sense to order them from PTC
> since they now own the rights to the former
> Morgan trains. Hope that cleared everything
> up. Eric

This explains a lot. I was also told by the same mechanic that PTC charges nearly double for the same spare parts that Morgan did, and that is why they try to machine as many of their own spare parts as they can.