Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFOG 4/16 TR - Addition To Ga Scorcher

SFOG 4/16 TR - Addition To Ga Scorcher

AtlantaCoaster

Posted:
4/16/00 at
1:37:43 PM

Hi all...

I just got back from a GLORIOUS morning of coasting at SFOG...Clear blue skies, no humidity, a light breeze and a temp of about 65...which climbed to about 70 by the time I left - BEAUTIFUL! It had all the makings of a light crowd day...and it was...only drawback was one-train operation on all coasters except Georgia Cyclone...including Batman and Scorcher. As usual, I started the morning off with a ride on the Georgia Scorcher...

The Georgia Scorcher now has seatbelts...they were just installed this week, according to the ride operator. They do not affect the ride experience one bit - they are the same as the seatbelts that you find on most of the inverted coasters...they are attached to the "seat" and buckle into the center of the OTSR. One ride in the back seat on the left....flawless and smooth as always.

I then headed over to Batman: The Ride (Gotham City seems to be opening at 10 AM this year, instead of the very UNpopular 11 AM opening that we had to endure last year). No line...walked right on the next train...back row, left. Flew through the motions and then rode it a second time...waited about three trains for the second ride.

Now that I had had my dose of B&M steel for the morning, I headed over to the classic - the Mindbender...When Anton designed this ride, he had a day like today in mind...and the leaves are on the trees, so you now get the full effect of cruising through the treetops....had a great backseat ride...

By this time, it was about 11 AM, so i headed for the back of the park. Wheelie was beckoning to me...it may have actually spoken...so i rode it..so now I know for sure that the rumors of its demise did not come true...rode Wheelie and headed over to Great American Scream Machine..and got three consecutive rides in the back without having to leave the train...this is MY WAY of coasting... I cast an eye towards Viper when I left GASM, and it had a sign up that it would not be opening until Noon...so I bypassed it.

I headed over to Ninja, and took one ride...Keep in mind that I am a Ninja supporter...but boy has it gotten rough...rougher than it was...there seems to be a fair amount of vibration/shimmy as you ride it. I've ridden it enough to know that something is very different since last year...but can't quite pinpoint what it is...it may have to do with the train...if it was refurbished over the winter, it may still be a little stiff and needing to break in before it smooths out...only rode Ninja once...and headed back to Wheelie for one more spin...literally.

At this point, I hopped on the Sky Buckets (no line) and travelled back to the front of the park...I wanted to ride Georgia Cyclone, but the line was about a 20 minute wait - even with both trains running, so I skipped it for today...

A couple of other notes - Air Racer was running. Splashwater Falls was closed...and I was included in a survey that the park was doing as I stood in line...they asked the usual stuff...what's your zip code (30329)...how many times have you visited so far this year (3)...so Premier is trying to figure out some way of squeezing more money out of us, I'm sure... And NO, I am NOT interested in upgrading my Season Pass to include SFWW!!!

Best Regards, Bill M. / AtlantaCoaster

Re: B&M stand-ups by Confused at 4/16/00 2:36:00 PM

With the seatbelts now being added to Scorcher, do all B&M stand-ups have the seatbelts? I belive I have heard Iron Wolf at SFGAM has them to, does RR have it also?

Re: B&M stand-ups by Magnum Allan at 4/16/00 2:41:54 PM

> With the seatbelts now being added to
> Scorcher, do all B&M stand-ups have the
> seatbelts? I belive I have heard Iron Wolf
> at SFGAM has them to, does RR have it also?

*Yes, RR has seatbelts too. Most B&M stand ups have seatbelts now even though none opened with them. They all might have them now, I am not sure about Vortex at PC and PGA. Other than that they all do. Most seemed to have been added over this off-season, with the exception of Mantis which were put on in the off season one year ago. Personally, even though B&M's have a different restraining system than Togo's stand ups, I think it all has to do with the accident last year on Shockwave at PKD. It seems odd that after that they all received seat belts after years of operation without them. Just my 2 cents. -Allan

Re: B&M stand-ups by Jeff Tolotti at 4/16/00 3:12:01 PM

> They all might have them now, I
> am not sure about Vortex at PC and PGA.

They do. All seven B&M standups do now. I don't think the Giovanolas do though... or Skyrider, but I bet that will as well.

Jeff

Re: B&M stand-ups by Allen at 4/16/00 3:18:21 PM

Riddlers Revenge now has seat belts. These belts have slowen the loading time down a lot, plus most people took there belts off on the lift hill. I left my on, since I really did not care about it all that much. Also, I took the same survey at SFMM. They asked me the same questions they asked you.

Rollercoasterz

Here's Why You Should Use The Seatbelts by AtlantaCoaster at 4/16/00 4:18:02 PM

Hi Allen...

Unbuckling the seatbelts on the lifthill is foolish..what does it accomplish?

The seatbelts make NOT ONE bit of difference to the ride experience...to have that metal buckle swinging freely poses a greater risk of injury than if it is fastened properly. Additionally, why set a bad example? It's best not to give the kids (and some of the immature adults) any bright ideas.

Best Regards... Bill M. / AtlantaCoaster

Re: B&M stand-ups by MrDan at 4/16/00 6:14:09 PM

> I belive I have heard Iron Wolf
> at SFGAM has them to, does RR have it also?

Well, Iron Wolf didn't last year. This year it's supposed to have new trains and I haven't heard any first hand reports about them. I figure if they get the whole trains new, they'll have the seatbelts.

I don't understand why Iron Wolf didn't have them before. I know that if I ever wanted to, I could've hopped out on the lift hill just by squatting. Then again, I value my life.

dan

Re: Here's Why They Have The Seatbelts ... by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/16/00 6:46:11 PM

> ... Unbuckling the seatbelts on the
> lifthill is foolish..what does it
> accomplish? The seatbelts make NOT ONE bit
> of difference to the ride experience...

Exactly! I've had to explain this to my kids when they say "But the seatbelts don't do anything; I could just unbuckle it."

The seatbelt is just evidence that the restraint was closed. If a ride returns to the station without a passenger and the seatbelt is unbuckled, then obviously the rider let himself/herself out (though I suppose it's remotely possible that the buckle failed, but thats very remote). So when the ride op tugs on the belt, you and everyone else know for sure that the harness is closed.

Re: B&M stand-ups by Confused at 4/16/00 10:58:44 PM

Well, Iron Wolf didn't last year. This year it's
> supposed to have new trains and I haven't
> heard any first hand reports about them.

I don't think they are new trains. From what I have heard, it is just new harnesses with the seatbelts.

Confused

Re: Here's Why You Should Use The Seatbelts by Bruce Jensen at 4/17/00 2:26:50 PM

You wrote:

> Hi Allen... Unbuckling the seatbelts on the
> lifthill is foolish..what does it
> accomplish? The seatbelts make NOT ONE bit
> of difference to the ride experience...

...and this is precisely why they are of no value in general. They serve no purpose except to make the loading and unloading longer. Unbuckling foolish? Buckling unnecessary.

I was on RR last in February. At that time, there were no seatbelts on it, and it sure as heck didn't need them. I went to SFMM last week, and did not have the chance to ride RR (I was with my little boy), but if I had gotten on it and found that it had seatbelts, I would have shrieked. Thank God Goliath doesn't have them (yet). Talk about a way to ruin a great ride, especially if you have some Nazi ride op there with the electroshock paddles at ready.

FWIW, Ghostrider and Roar both have 'em, but at neither place do the ride ops care much about them.

Bruce Jensen

re:seatbelts by Bullrider at 4/17/00 3:11:37 PM

> Riddlers Revenge now has seat belts. These
> belts have slowen the loading time down a
> lot, plus most people took there belts off
> on the lift hill. I left my on, since I
> really did not care about it all that much.
> Also, I took the same survey at SFMM. They
> asked me the same questions they asked you.

Can you take off the belts???

I was waiting in line for Raptor in '98 and a train stalled right at the beginning of the lift. A ride op walked up and was checking the belts, found one that wasn't buckled (I'm assuming ) and the ride was started back up immediately after the belt had been fixed.

IMO, just wear 'em. They are virtually unnoticable during the ride.

Dave

Re: Here's Why You Should Use The Seatbelts by Jeff Tolotti at 4/17/00 4:06:17 PM

> ...and this is precisely why
> they are of no value in general. They serve
> no purpose except to make the loading and
> unloading longer.

As others have said in the thread, it's proof that the restraint was closed. Mantis had them put on because B&M restraints have a tendency to ratchet up a notch after leaving the station - it happens when the ratchet is not fully engaged. But that's why B&M restraints require TWO clicks, so if one isn't fully engaged, the other is still guaranteed by four locks. It was just a precaution, albeit unnecessary.

> Unbuckling foolish?
> Buckling unnecessary. I was on RR last in
> February. At that time, there were no
> seatbelts on it, and it sure as heck didn't
> need them. I went to SFMM last week, and did
> not have the chance to ride RR (I was with
> my little boy), but if I had gotten on it
> and found that it had seatbelts, I would
> have shrieked. Thank God Goliath doesn't
> have them (yet). Talk about a way to ruin a
> great ride, especially if you have some Nazi
> ride op there with the electroshock paddles
> at ready.

How exactly does it ruin a ride? Most seatbelts are extendable. If they were auto-retracting like Morgan hypers then yes, it could ruin a ride. But if they can be extended, then it doesn't affect it at all (apart from load time, which I agree is a very negative effect).

Jeff

Re: Here's Why You Should Use The Seatbelts by Bruce Jensen at 4/17/00 5:41:31 PM

Jeff wrote:

> How exactly does it ruin a ride? Most seatbelts are
> extendable. If they were auto-retracting
> like Morgan hypers then yes, it could ruin a
> ride. But if they can be extended, then it
> doesn't affect it at all (apart from load
> time, which I agree is a very negative
> effect). Jeff

Now, I am talking about actual seatbelts, the ones that wrap around one's waist...Well, as with any other vertically-oriented restraint, they have the potential to greatly reduce air floatage. I admit that on most rides (as, for example, Roar and Ghostrider, where the ride ops are *usually* reasonably good guys), they are treated as an afterthought and may be left loose and thus inconsequential. However, recalling the first days of Goliath for example, as well as one of the ride ops on Ghostrider (she's blond - you may know who I mean), and occasionally a Roar West ride op, the seat restraints in general are treated as essential and unequivocal items for passenger torture and joy mitigation. A seat belt yanked tightly across one's waist (as some lapbars are occasionally used) can eliminate air, and I'd hate to see them in the hands of a sadistic ride op (I have once or twice, and it ain't pretty).

In short, the potential is there for a seatbelt to ruin a ride, and when they are not used in this way, they serve no purpose on the rides I mentioned...they are essentially useless on the two woodies, and simply do not exist on Goliath, or on Colossus for example. Perhaps on rides with OTSRs, where the "seatbelt" is mounted on the OTSR rather than on the seat itself (like B&M inverts and the PGA Drop Zone ride), they serve the purpose you mention, and there I have no qualms since they do not affect the restraint (in some of those cases, however, I question the need for an OTSR at all!). As I mentioned, I have not yet noticed one of these things on Riddler, although PGA has been retrofitting almost all their suitable rides with belt fail-safe devices since last year's Drop Zone tragedy - including Grizzly ;-) and for this effort I have no regrets yet.

I have to admit, I have not yet been on a Morgan Hyper, and therefore have no experience with Morgan restraints - knowing of the hideous restraint accoutrements on their woodie rolling stock, however, I am not surprised to hear that their steel vehicles have similarly questionable restraint characteristics. Morgan have been masters at the art of ruining good rides with lousy vehicles.

Bruce Jensen

Re: Here's Why You Should Use The Seatbelts by Jeff Tolotti at 4/17/00 5:50:36 PM

> A seat belt yanked tightly across one's waist (as
> some lapbars are occasionally used) can
> eliminate air

But like I said, there's nothing to stop you from extending the belt on the lift hill to allow for airtime. You still have the seatbelt on in case of an accident, and loose belts don't get in your way at all.

>In short,
> the potential is there for a seatbelt to
> ruin a ride, and when they are not used in
> this way, they serve no purpose on the rides
> I mentioned...

They're there in case of lap bar failure. If the lap bar fails (for whatever reason, including collision - think Edmonton) then you have nothing. If something else were to go wrong, you're gone from that train. But if you have the seatbelt on (even LOOSE), you've got that extra security. This all boils down to insurance purposes...

Jeff