Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Beast restoration

Beast restoration

Freak

Posted:
4/15/00 at
7:04:02 PM

I have read some postings about the original beast being shut down and having problems. I went to PKI two years ago and it was shut down. Would anyone agree that they ought to dump alot of money into it this winter and do an overhaul on the ride and really get it back to par? You'd think they would have done this during the winter of '98-'99 to commemerate it's 20 year reign. Shoot with technology as good as it is today they could rip that puppy completely out and rebuild it from the ground up all over again exactly as is using the same underground tunnels. What do you guys think?

Re: Beast restoration by bjal at 4/15/00 7:13:11 PM

> I have read some postings about the original
> beast being shut down and having problems. I
> went to PKI two years ago and it was shut
> down. Would anyone agree that they ought to
> dump alot of money into it this winter and
> do an overhaul on the ride and really get it
> back to par? You'd think they would have
> done this during the winter of '98-'99 to
> commemerate it's 20 year reign. Shoot with
> technology as good as it is today they could
> rip that puppy completely out and rebuild it
> from the ground up all over again exactly as
> is using the same underground tunnels. What
> do you guys think?

The Beast is still my favorite wooden roller coaster, even though I haven't been on it since 1997. The first time I went on it, was in 1996. I'm a little worried about what enthusiasts have been saying in regards to it being slowed down too much, since then. Even though I was hearing a lot of guff about it being "tame" before I ever went on it, it was running up to par in my book. I'd never been on coaster with that much speed, until I went on Magnum. I desperately want to get back to King's Island some time in the near future to see if it is still as good as I remember it. I totally agree with you about the advancement of technology, and I can think of a lot of old wooden coasters (excluding The Beast) that could be refitted.

Re: Beast restoration by CoasterFanatic at 4/16/00 12:48:49 AM

> I have read some postings about the original
> beast being shut down and having problems. I
> went to PKI two years ago and it was shut
> down. Would anyone agree that they ought to
> dump alot of money into it this winter and
> do an overhaul on the ride and really get it
> back to par? You'd think they would have
> done this during the winter of '98-'99 to
> commemerate it's 20 year reign. Shoot with
> technology as good as it is today they could
> rip that puppy completely out and rebuild it
> from the ground up all over again exactly as
> is using the same underground tunnels. What
> do you guys think?

First off last winter they did do some major work on The Beast. the retracked the entire helix!

The Beast is running as good as it ever has, just last night they didnt get the grease on the rails and it was squeeling badly.

The problem with the beast is not the structure or the track but the trains!

When the beast was built, the trains have 4 solidly placed wheels on each car, this means the car cannot corner very well and requires greese to slide around a curve, also these trains were not designed to bank, but you can do it at a very slight angle, hence the banks start long before the curve and then slowly roll out of the banking.

Since 1979 newer trains have been designed and can handle corners and banking with ease, There are actually two types of trains that can do this, first off the newer PTC trains and Geurslers have a back axel on each train that can swivel and turn a little like a skate boards axels. The second type is articualated trains like the new GCI trains that have individual bench cars and can bank and corner simular to a B&M type coaster. This is posible because each care except the front has only one set of wheels.

The reason The Beast is not as fast as it could be is, Not enuff banking for speed! and since the trains cant handle anymore banking. Why bother? Its still a great ride and still in many top ten list so why spend millions to change a good thing?

If you notice ever coaster before The Beast had virtually no banked corners and almost all of them used a Non banked turn around element like the racer at PKI, This is because of the straight four solidly mounted wheel arangment! Hence they made the biggest and fastest coaster of the time for the technology avaible.

Several designers and builders had a hand in The Beast, The original idea was to build a replica of the Shooting Star coaster that used to reside in Cincinnatis Coney Island. After reading the topography of the land, Charles Dinn had a Idea for a Terrain coaster, He called upon master designers Bill Cobb and John Allen to help design and Work out some of the problems with the design. After two years of planning and a short 4 month construction schudual The Beast first reigned over Kings Island Friday April, 13th 1979 and i was there.

On my webpage is a picture of the original trains, they were four bench instead of three and had standard fold down lapbar and no high seatbacks.

The first season of the beast the helix and most of the curves were not banked and the trains were replaced after the second season because the Four benchers put to much stress on the track so they opted for the shorter three bench trains.

Chuck

Coaster Fanatics Forum

I agree by rufus at 4/16/00 4:30:10 PM

Since they wont be making any extreme changes to there park, I think they should. They should also give the old vortex a new paint job.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.