Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI Question?

PKI Question?

Eric

Posted:
4/15/00 at
6:59:08 PM

I have read a couple of the trip reports about PKI and so far I have to say that it sounds like the management of the park has focused too much on SOB and AZ and not enouph on the rest of the park.ie. Festhause being dethemed, Adventure Express haveing most of its effects not working or broken, OLFOF although having new pading not having it's sounds effects work, The Beast sounding bad, The vortex not receiving the work that it needed two years ago, & KML just being borded up. While it sounds like SOB will be a great coaster, I have to wonder about the rest of the park and the condition that it is in.

Re: PKI Question? by swOHman at 4/15/00 7:11:12 PM

Other than AE PKI is in pretty good shape. Octoberfest lost its theming many years ago and I think Shaggy is trying to give us a hint about coming improvemnts (correct me if I'm wrong Shaggy). OL:FLF was missing the music during the ride, but the effects in the queue were still working. The fence around KMLF is a good quality fence and it isn't really unsightly, but I wish they would have kept KMLF. The Beast was squeling through the entire ride, but it was closed all day until 8:30, and I think it had something to do with that. Vortex needs a new paint job, but it is still running good. Racer got a new paint job and the backwards side was retracked and running great.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: PKI Question? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/15/00 8:40:10 PM

Good points Brian, and as I posted earlier, there are rides which have been well maintained and there are a few that need some work. After all, it is just the beginning of the season and they're probably just getting caught-up. Shaggy says things like the lights and music were probably just an oversight. All in all, the park appears to be clean and well cared for. Several of the spin&spews that we rode last night wore a fresh coat of paint and had all the lights working (now that's something). Several old eye-sores showed signs of being worked on as well. I'm sure that those repairmen get run ragged around there .... there's always something that needs to get fixed. I think they're doing a good job and there's nothing to worry about.

Re: PKI Question? They need major Changes by Concerned at 4/16/00 1:31:14 AM

> Good points Brian, and as I posted earlier,
> there are rides which have been well
> maintained and there are a few that need
> some work. After all, it is just the
> beginning of the season and they're probably
> just getting caught-up. Shaggy says things
> like the lights and music were probably just
> an oversight. All in all, the park appears
> to be clean and well cared for. Several of
> the spin&spews that we rode last night wore
> a fresh coat of paint and had all the lights
> working (now that's something). Several old
> eye-sores showed signs of being worked on as
> well. I'm sure that those repairmen get run
> ragged around there .... there's always
> something that needs to get fixed. I think
> they're doing a good job and there's nothing
> to worry about.

Sorry Rob but I disagree If you are old enuff to remember Kings Island used to have about 25-30 more rides that it has now, They have been removing rides at a two to one ratio since about 1977!

Yes they have built some excellent coasters and the park is still fun and great for a family but I and it seems most other posters are upset that there hasnt been a new adult flatride since Shake Rattle and Roll was installed and Viking fury.

Lets see, adult rides removed and i'll probably miss a couple, Tumble Bug, Flying Shoes, Spining Hat ride, Cauldren ride, Screemin Demon, Bat, Sky Ride, Rotor, Bobsled ride, Feris Wheel, Double Feris Wheel, Flight Comander, Skylab, Old Dogem, Speedway, Enchanted Theater,Smurf Ride, Wild Mouse coaster,Comet,KINGS MILL LOG FLUME, One side of Les Taxis antique car ride, Dolphin show. Trabant,a great ice show, Theming on train and a few others i missed, Most of this dosn't include Hanna barbara land, that section is much improved for the most part.

Rides built since '77 and i'll probably miss a couple, Skylab since removed, Double Feris Wheel since removed, Flight Comander since removed, Screemin Deamon since removed,The Bat since removed, The Bat since removed, Beast, Vortex, Adventure Express,Phantom Theater, King Cobra, Top Gun, OLFOF, Drop Zone, Face off, Scoobies Ghoster coaster, Taxi Jam, and a excellent water park, 007

Dont get me wrong, Im not bad mouthing PKI as I love this park, My love for the park is why I wish it would regain its former glory, The Coasters are great but there is little other reason to visit unless your going for a family affair that includes about half a day in Hanna Barbara land or the water park.

I see other parks durring this great economy expanding and adding GReat Adventure,SFO, Cedar Point, BGW, SFKK and some others I know of and im just thinking the second most visited seasonal park should be able to do the same.

Yes Action Zone is a great addition and I thank PKI for doing this but there are two more sections of the park that need TLC and additions not subtractions.

Re: PKI Question? They need major Changes by Eric at 4/16/00 2:30:59 AM

I agree with concerned. PKI is a great a park, and the coasters that they have added are some of the best in the world. but PKI seems to forget obout keeping some of the less popular rides that make a good park a great park. PKI also seems to foget about mantaining rides shows and buildings, untill they are in desperate need of attention. I love PKI, but I feel that they need to now focus on the overall park and rides then on individual rides and sections of the park. I hope that Shaggy is right and that PKI spends next year's off season on improving the rest of the park(ie, restrooms, theming, buildings, flat rides etc.), for if they do this I feel that PKI will again be the #1 seasonal park in the country.

Re: They need major Changes? by Rob Lec at 4/16/00 10:27:24 AM

Thank you for keeping this polite, but I was under the impression that Eric's concern was about park maintainance, not about the addition or removal of flat rides. I agree that there very few of them, but I can think of several parks that have even fewer, or even none at all. I was responding to the maintainance issue, and while I realize that Vortex badly needs paint and AE always needs work, I was trying to give credit to the workers who keep the place running.

> Sorry Rob but I disagree If you are old enuff to
> remember Kings Island used to have about
> 25-30 more rides that it has now, They have
> been removing rides at a two to one ratio
> since about 1977!

Many of my fond childhood memories are from Cinci's Coney Island. In fact I avoided Kings Island during its early years out of resentment for them having moved my home park to Mason! And when I did finally go there, they only had about half of my favorite rides. Of course, nearly ten years had passed, from '68 to around '77.

> Yes they have built some
> excellent coasters and the park is still fun
> and great for a family but I and it seems
> most other posters are upset that there
> hasnt been a new adult flatride since Shake
> Rattle and Roll was installed and Viking
> fury.

I remember seeing Viking Fury go up (I had just mentioned a "remember-when" about that to my wife the other night). And I watched Skylab go up, sit idle, and eventually disappear. And of course I remember Screamin Demon et al. But any park has to make business decisions, especially regarding old rides with high maintainance demands and which may require special parts which are difficult to procure.

> Lets see, adult rides removed and
> i'll probably miss a couple, Tumble Bug,
> Flying Shoes, Spining Hat ride, Cauldren
> ride, Screemin Demon, Bat, Sky Ride, Rotor,
> Bobsled ride, Feris Wheel, Double Feris
> Wheel, Flight Comander, Skylab, Old Dogem,
> Speedway, Enchanted Theater,Smurf Ride, Wild
> Mouse coaster,Comet,KINGS MILL LOG FLUME,
> One side of Les Taxis antique car ride,
> Dolphin show. Trabant,a great ice show,
> Theming on train and a few others i missed,

Personally I'd rather have rides like F/O, DZ, and SOB than having ANY of those others back again. They were fun in their day, but that's progress. The park must remain competitive. I'd love to have a ferris wheel, but that just means going somewhere else ... typically somewhere without big coasters.

> Most of this dosn't include Hanna barbara
> land, that section is much improved for the
> most part. Rides built since '77 and i'll
> probably miss a couple, Skylab since
> removed, Double Feris Wheel since removed,
> Flight Comander since removed, Screemin
> Deamon since removed,The Bat since removed,
> The Bat since removed, Beast, Vortex,
> Adventure Express,Phantom Theater, King
> Cobra, Top Gun, OLFOF, Drop Zone, Face off,
> Scoobies Ghoster coaster, Taxi Jam, and a
> excellent water park, 007

I love pratically everything mentioned here, except of course 007 (grin). Especially have come to enjoy the water park in recent years.

> Dont get me
> wrong, Im not bad mouthing PKI as I love
> this park, My love for the park is why I
> wish it would regain its former glory, The
> Coasters are great but there is little other
> reason to visit unless your going for a
> family affair that includes about half a day
> in Hanna Barbara land or the water park.

They have the picnic area and lots of carnival booths, none of which I like, but the place seems to be popular for company outings etc.

> I see other parks durring this great economy
> expanding and adding GReat Adventure,SFO,
> Cedar Point, BGW, SFKK and some others I
> know of and im just thinking the second most
> visited seasonal park should be able to do
> the same.

I would call $40 million in two years "expansion" also.

> Yes Action Zone is a great
> addition and I thank PKI for doing this but
> there are two more sections of the park that
> need TLC and additions not subtractions.

Indeed. There are areas that need attention, e.g. Rivertown is neraly dead, especially now without KMLF. And that is why we speculate that in a couple years we'll probably see a Stealth go in that spot. And some of their additions have clearly been a mistake (007).

I too have concern about too much focus on SOB, but everything takes time. "Rome wasn't built in a day". And if they want to draw larger crowds, it requires attractions like DZ and SOB. No one is going to travel cross-country for something like the Giant Wheel.

They could have added a lot of flat rides for $40M, but who would find that impressive? PKI would simply be a gigantic carnival. SFO adds four moderately sized coasters and everyone is impressed. PKI has just added three great rides. I'm glad they kept the bumper cars, zephyr, flying eagles, and scrambler.

Sean Flaherty recently posted an article confirming that Paramount intends to rebuild some of the neglected infrastructure of the park during the 2000-01 off season. These things just take time and money ... resources which they only have a limited amount of.

Again, thank you for keeping this polite. I hope that I have done so as well.

Re: PKI Question? by PKI TJ at 4/16/00 6:56:06 PM

Hey, I went to PKI yesterday and I have to say that the park was very well maintaned especially in the early hours. Now refering to Adventure Express, it did have many problems with itz special effects includin the last cheesy ending. OLFLOF was just fine effects wise in the queue-UFO area but during the ride a huge light was on during the whole entire ride and I did not seem to hear the music one bit! The Beast was spueeling an awful lot when I went on it night and they had many lights on during the ride but I have to say it was running very thrillingly fast with very few noticable(in my opinion)!! Other than that PKI thank you for a great Saturday and that's pretty much all I have to say about that!

-Tj