Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Camden Park 2000

Camden Park 2000

Raptor Timmy

Posted:
4/15/00 at
4:37:19 PM

I have thought about heading to Camden after going to PKI this summer. Is the park adding anything new? Is the Thunderbolt Express going to reopen? I thought it would be neat to go to Kings Island and the next day go on a coaster that I once rode at Kings Island. BTW- The Screaming Demon {which is now TE} was the NEW ride when I first visited Kings Island nearly 23 years ago. Can't believe it has been that long.

Re: Camden Park 2000 by sparky sparky Profile at 4/15/00 6:39:57 PM

> I have thought about heading to Camden after
> going to PKI this summer. Is the park adding
> anything new? Is the Thunderbolt Express
> going to reopen? I thought it would be neat
> to go to Kings Island and the next day go on
> a coaster that I once rode at Kings Island.
> BTW- The Screaming Demon {which is now TE}
> was the NEW ride when I first visited Kings
> Island nearly 23 years ago. Can't believe it
> has been that long.

The reopening of the Thunderbolt Express could easily happen, except management found it pointless to keep replacing snapped launch cables at $1500 a piece (they had to do this three times last season before ceasing its operation in mid August).

Either way, YES, please do drive the two hour drive to the east of PKI and visit Camden. At absolute worst, you will experience two classic (but unfortunatly neglected) woodies in the NAD duo of the Big and Little Dipper. Last Sept, Sean Flaharty, John Cline and I had a great day at Camden riding over and over on these, their odd and very Americana Parkesque Barr Engineering Log Flume, and their neat little dark ride which I count as a coaster because it is all gravity propelled after the small chain lift.

All you need to take in Camden is a few hours, but you'll probably want to stay longer just to really soak in the shame the park has gone through due to poor business. Two years ago, their main office burned to the ground. They didn't even have the funds to rebuild their office, hence their files, etc are now in the back of a storage shed- pretty sad. Visit Camden, and take your camera because I'm afraid its days are numbered.

On a bright note, they are doing something they never have in the past- offering season passes for $45 a piece. A one day POP costs about $15, or you can pay the $3 gen admission fee and pay $1.50-$2.00 per ride.

-sparky

Re: Camden Park 2000 by Rob at 4/17/00 6:52:50 PM

Sparky wrote:

> Their days are numbered.On a bright note,they
> doing something they never have in the past-
> offering season passes for $45 a piece. A
> one day POP costs about $15, or you can pay
> the $3 gen admission fee and pay $1.50-$2.00
> per ride. -sparky

If you wanted to "help" the park,you'd PAY the admission each visit,instead of buying a season pass which only hurts the park.

/rsv