Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI TR 4/14/99 (long)

PKI TR 4/14/99 (long)

swOHman

Posted:
4/15/00 at
12:38:43 AM

Ther are two words to desribe my night at PKI "walk on". It was great. The park was running at full capacity with only about 1/4 of the capacity there. When I first went in I met with Chuck (Chuck Nungester) and his brother Rob (CoasterRob). We went to Face Off first. One train wait. This was my first ride on Face Off because of last year's lines. We then rode AE which nobody was in line for, and then forwards Racer which also didn't have a line. We then went to OL:FLF which had no line either. It is much more smooth this year. I don't know what they did to it, but there was no head banging. BTW SOB IS HUGE!!!!!! You can see it from almost the whole park. The banking on the top of the second hill is insane! We then went to Vortex which was also a walk on. We hit KCKC, BTW KMLF is shut down. There is a fence around it and everything, so thats an end to the argument on that. The Beast was shut down most of the day. Chuck and Rob wanted to go on DZ, and I didn't so I went on TG. It comes to within about 5 or 6 feet from SOB. I met back up with Chuck and Rob and we hit F/O again with about a 15-20 min. wait. We then hit the backwards Racer which was giving more airtime than usual esp. on the return. I still prefer the forwards to the backwards (More airtime). We then went back to the Beast and it was open! We waited about 30 min. because they were running only 2 trains. When we got on it was almost 10 pm. The Beast was a little slow through the first half, but it was flying through the helix. The mid-course tunnel was pitch black and you could't see anything. You could hear the brakes squeeling which is something I have never heard before on the Beast. After that I left the park. BTW the side of les Taxis closest to the Beast is shut down and a perment gate was put up blocking the entrance. Rob and Chuck might post some pics, but thats up to them.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

I mean 00 sorry Guess the headache messed me up nm by swOHman at 4/15/00 12:47:58 AM

=0

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by O-High-O at 4/15/00 12:48:31 AM

I'm jealous! Wanna go next Saturday, the 22nd?

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by swOHman at 4/15/00 1:05:25 AM

> I'm jealous! Wanna go next Saturday, the
> 22nd?

It would have been nice if you could have gone tomorrow, but your stupid tennis match, now I can't go (I wasn't going to go anyway). I was planning on going next Sat. so why not. BTW my school is going to kill your school at the tennis match Monday. I'll be there (maybe).

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/15/00 8:50:37 AM

I agree, it was a fantastic night.

> We then
> went to OL:FLF which had no line either. It
> is much more smooth this year. I don't know
> what they did to it, but there was no head
> banging.

New padding, complete stop in the block brake.

> There is a fence around it and everything,
> so thats an end to the argument on that.

I always thought the debate on it's closure was silly. I had been told by the park folks I knwo that it was closing last year, so I believed them. Obviously, they told the truth.

> Chuck
> and Rob wanted to go on DZ, and I didn't so
> I went on TG.

May I ask why? DZ is IMO the best thrill at the park right now. Terrific....and addicting!

> We then hit the backwards
> Racer which was giving more airtime than
> usual esp. on the return. I still prefer the
> forwards to the backwards (More airtime).

Although I didn't ride Forward last evening, I prefer backwards for airtime. Mostly because you cannot predict when it will pull you out of your seat. Backwards was completely re-tracked. Airtime was unbelievable. Notice the new height restrictions? 44" on Racer and AE. Up from 42" last year I believe.

> You could hear the brakes squeeling which is
> something I have never heard before on the
> Beast.

The squeal was actually pruduced by the wheels. The metal on metal sound was ear-piercing. Graphite please!!!!

Shaggy

Re: Drop Zone .. YES!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/15/00 9:11:09 AM

> DZ is IMO the best
> thrill at the park right now.
> Terrific....and addicting!

Addicting! Curious but that's exactly how I described to my wife last night, following her first ride ever on DZ. She had that gigantic smile that you see on 99% of the DZ's riders, but was not entirely taken with the ride. Meanwhile, my elder son and I were both constantly asking to go on it again for the rest of the night.

I think some folks psych themselves out of enjoying it. My younger son is that way too. They're willing to ride once, but get scared and that's what they remember and don't want to repeat it. Admittedly, the slow lift and the wait at the top is frightening.

But the REST of us become addicted to that adreneline rush from the actual drop itself. It's that brief animal instinct "I'm gonna die" feeling. Probably how people get hooked on speed or whatever. I love watching people as they get off of DZ ... they all have that gigantic grin on their faces, and that feeling stays with you for a couple minutes afterwards. Addicting, yes!

Re: Drop Zone, NEVER HAVE, but hope to tomorrow! by TigerBeast at 4/15/00 3:24:38 PM

Addicting! Curious but that's exactly how I
> described to my wife last night, following
> her first ride ever on DZ. She had that
> gigantic smile that you see on 99% of the
> DZ's riders, but was not entirely taken with
> the ride. Meanwhile, my elder son and I were
> both constantly asking to go on it again
> for the rest of the night. I think some
> folks psych themselves out of enjoying it.
> My younger son is that way too. They're
> willing to ride once, but get scared and
> that's what they remember and don't want to
> repeat it. Admittedly, the slow lift and the
> wait at the top is frightening. But the
> REST of us become addicted to that
> adreneline rush from the actual drop itself.
> It's that brief animal instinct "I'm
> gonna die" feeling. Probably how people
> get hooked on speed or whatever. I love
> watching people as they get off of DZ ...
> they all have that gigantic grin on their
> faces, and that feeling stays with you for a
> couple minutes afterwards. Addicting, yes!

I love your description, I hope to become an addict tomorrow! I never got a chance to ride it last year, since it was shutdown alot, but I saw it drop for the first time on my lunch break the other day when I caught them testing or training I guess.

Also, it was great to hear from everyone about the first day for PKI in 2000. I wqs thinking about all of the URC'ers there while I was working last night. Yes, Unfortunately, right down the road I was helping my company move offices while wishing to be riding THE BEAST!!

It was great to hear that OL:FOF has improved on the head-banging, I have had trouble getting anyone to ride it with me anymore because of the roughness. Well, tomorrow I should get a chance to ride OL:FOF, DZ and THE BEAST, but to tell the truth, I really going to get a closer look at Sonny!

Tony, Who Is Soooo Glad that Winter is finally over and the Coastering Season has arrived!

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by swOHman at 4/15/00 4:29:17 PM

May I ask why? DZ is IMO the best
> thrill at the park right now.

The reason I didn't go on it was because I promised my best friend Chris (O-High-O) that I would ride it for the first time with him. I have never been on a freefall. I also have a slight case of vertigo and I don't like to be very high. (I even feel it in the line for Top Gun when it is over the road for workers).

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by TickledMartha at 4/15/00 6:31:46 PM

> I was wondering.. for Son of Beast.... is there shoulder restraints or just a lap bar.. please tell me! I am confused... also, how does wood hold up the wood.. would I trust that>

~Tickledmartha

Ther are two words to desribe my night at
> PKI "walk on". It was great. The
> park was running at full capacity with only
> about 1/4 of the capacity there. When I
> first went in I met with Chuck (Chuck
> Nungester) and his brother Rob (CoasterRob).
> We went to Face Off first. One train wait.
> This was my first ride on Face Off because
> of last year's lines. We then rode AE which
> nobody was in line for, and then forwards
> Racer which also didn't have a line. We then
> went to OL:FLF which had no line either. It
> is much more smooth this year. I don't know
> what they did to it, but there was no head
> banging. BTW SOB IS HUGE!!!!!! You can see
> it from almost the whole park. The banking
> on the top of the second hill is insane! We
> then went to Vortex which was also a walk
> on. We hit KCKC, BTW KMLF is shut down.
> There is a fence around it and everything,
> so thats an end to the argument on that. The
> Beast was shut down most of the day. Chuck
> and Rob wanted to go on DZ, and I didn't so
> I went on TG. It comes to within about 5 or
> 6 feet from SOB. I met back up with Chuck
> and Rob and we hit F/O again with about a
> 15-20 min. wait. We then hit the backwards
> Racer which was giving more airtime than
> usual esp. on the return. I still prefer the
> forwards to the backwards (More airtime). We
> then went back to the Beast and it was open!
> We waited about 30 min. because they were
> running only 2 trains. When we got on it was
> almost 10 pm. The Beast was a little slow
> through the first half, but it was flying
> through the helix. The mid-course tunnel was
> pitch black and you could't see anything.
> You could hear the brakes squeeling which is
> something I have never heard before on the
> Beast. After that I left the park. BTW the
> side of les Taxis closest to the Beast is
> shut down and a perment gate was put up
> blocking the entrance. Rob and Chuck might
> post some pics, but thats up to them.
> swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: PKI TR 4/14/99 (long) by swOHman at 4/15/00 6:50:04 PM

SOB will have lap bars. To answer your other question, the loop is made entirely of steel. It is just the track that is a wood style track on it.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: Drop Zone, but hope to tomorrow! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/15/00 9:28:45 PM

> Addicting! Curious but that's exactly how I
> I love your description, I hope to become an
> addict tomorrow! I never got a chance to
> ride it last year, since it was shutdown
> alot

Yea, it's great to have it back again, after such a long absence. I gotta tell you, practically everyone starts to have "second thoughts" about halfway up... like maybe I shouldn't have gotten on this thing after all. It is incredibly high, and you can't see ANYTHING around you or below you. It's totally different from a space shot or any other freefall ride. Of course, at that point it's too late to change your mind.

Also, there's nothing quite like the first time. You will always remember that first drop. Hope you have a great time tomorrow.