Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI trip report :)~

PKI trip report :)~

CoasterFanatic

Posted:
4/15/00 at
12:37:58 AM

Well here it gose:

Arived at the parking lot at 3:30 and got to enter gate at front gate 4:45 quickly met up with Brian (SWOhMan) and waited a few minutes for anyone else.

Decided at 4:55 to take advantage of the season pass walkback to action zone and was surpised that Brian had never ridden a inverted before.

First off Face Off! He liked it! and of course hes now off on his cross country tour of inverted coasters!

After Face off we decided to head for Top Gun and found it temperarely closed so we headed for Adventure Express to get a good look and some pics of Sonny!

One word folks, Awsome Baby!!, ok thats two words but you cant cuss on here. SON of Beast will be simply the most outstanding wooden coaster ever built and just looking at it up close gives you a Thill! sn The Box that rattled and shook last year has now been chewed through!

Next up forward racer smooth as ever and even got some air on the way back.

Outer limits, Brians comment, " I never got banged once!!!) and I agree.

Vortex was simply vortex and good as ever.

Beast was CLOSED! WHAAA, told to return later.

Kings mill log flume is now a wall of lumber :( .

Phantom theater supports kidnapping as you must have a child with you if your an adult.

Back to Action Zone and another ride on Face off, We got Brian in the front car this time and he really felt the 5gs.

Me and Rob tried to ride Drop Zone! Bad news for larger folks, If you could ride it last year, you probably won't be able to this year as the seatbelts require the OTSR to come down about 4 inches farther to latch the belt. :(

Top Gun was running great and smaking into that wall of lumber (SOB LIFT HILL) was extreamly neat! Also got some pics of Sonny from lifthil of Top gun.

Backward Racer! :) :) :) The best its ever ran!! Got airtime hops on ever hump on the return trip even!!!

Beast again! Still CLosed :(

Eat lunch at tuckers :)

Beast Again, Jackpot Night Ride! Well first drop and second drop into valley were about par for the course but the block area barely slowed the train so the tunnels and fan curves were extreamly fast, and the DID NOT use any brakes on the second drop at all!! :):):)"):):);) Brians quote " I think thats the fastest ive ever ridden it!"

Fireworks :) ohh, aww

I was pleased to meet and spend the evening with Brian and share coaster experinces with him, Rob Lec also spotted us and we chatted with him a bit, I was pleased to meet him and put a face to the name, Just wish we could have hooked up at park opening but with the park droping the gate only 10 minutes to ride time we just didnt get together.

The Park was as clean as ive seen it for preseason. and we had a generally good time.

Other notes, there is a simulater ride of sometype by Zepher and a Virtual Reality game near the Rock Shop, also the back side of the old fashion car ride no longer exist :(

I look to have my pictures up probably tuesday sometime and will post back when they are avalible.

Chuck

Re: PKI trip report :)~ by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/15/00 8:40:05 AM

It was a great evening wasn't it?

> sn The Box that rattled
> and shook last year has now been chewed
> through!

That crate, as I understand it, will be the sign for Son of Beast.

> Next up forward racer smooth as
> ever and even got some air on the way back.

Backwards Racer was giving terrific airtime. Probably because it was completely re-tracked in the off season.

> Kings
> mill log flume is now a wall of lumber :( .

See!

> Phantom theater supports kidnapping as you
> must have a child with you if your an adult.

PKI is already catching a lot of flack about this. I saw the head of rides getting the 3rd degree by a few attendees. They now have to staff the entrance to the que to thwart any non child bearing adults.

> Bad news for larger
> folks, If you could ride it last year, you
> probably won't be able to this year as the
> seatbelts require the OTSR to come down
> about 4 inches farther to latch the belt.

Last year they used a block of wood to measure how for down the restraints come. Many were allowed to ride last year with their restraints not down as far as the park wanted because of kind ride ops. That is not possible now.

Shaggy

Re: PKI trip report :)~ by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/15/00 10:28:42 AM

> Top Gun was running great and smaking into
> that wall of lumber (SOB LIFT HILL) was
> extreamly neat!

It's neat how you just miss it once, then yet another part of the structure sticks out. So you say "whew, we made it ... Whoa!!". And you get a whiff of wood, too! Love that smell of fresh lumber.

> Rob Lec also spotted us and we chatted
> with him a bit, I was pleased to meet him
> and put a face to the name,

It was a pleasure to meet you too. Fortunately you had mentioned the hat you'd be wearing so I could recognize you, as I had only seen your on-ride photo on your website. It would have been nice to chat longer... maybe another time, but my entire family was with me.

> Just wish we could have hooked up at park opening but
> with the park droping the gate only 10
> minutes to ride time we just didnt get
> together.

Yea, well that opening was a bit crazy. Little did we know how empty the place would be. I remember you said in an earlier post that it would fill up slowly.

The Park was as clean as ive seen
> it for preseason. and we had a generally
> good time.

Yes the place was looking good. Refreshing after a long winter.

> Fireworks :) ohh, aww

That was a surprise, as they usually don't have fireworks in the spring or fall. It was great having the park open until 10PM. Looking over the msg board this morning, I see that you, me, and brian all got our TR's posted within mere minutes of each other.

> I look to have my
> pictures up probably tuesday sometime and
> will post back when they are avalible.

Looking forward to your pics.

NOTE TO SHAGGY AND OTHERS........ by Iceman at 4/15/00 2:33:54 PM

Last year a block of wood was only used for about 2 weeks. We then recieved gauges on the back of the seats which told us how far down the bar needed to come. So it was not really kind ride ops letting people ride, we would never jeopordize safety like that. The bars went down exactly as far as the park wanted them to at that point. Plus this year the park miniumized the amount of space that was needed. Not just because of the seat belts but because of the incident last year. It just so happens this year that the seat belts are a judge for that. I am not sure why I took offense about this but I just dont like kind of being labled as jeopordizing safety in anyway...even if it is just to be nice.

Iceman

Re: NOTE TO SHAGGY AND OTHERS........ by CoasterFanatic at 4/16/00 1:47:28 AM

> Last year a block of wood was only used for
> about 2 weeks. We then recieved gauges on
> the back of the seats which told us how far
> down the bar needed to come. So it was not
> really kind ride ops letting people ride, we
> would never jeopordize safety like that. The
> bars went down exactly as far as the park
> wanted them to at that point. Plus this year
> the park miniumized the amount of space that
> was needed. Not just because of the seat
> belts but because of the incident last year.
> It just so happens this year that the seat
> belts are a judge for that. I am not sure
> why I took offense about this but I just
> dont like kind of being labled as
> jeopordizing safety in anyway...even if it
> is just to be nice. Iceman

I dont think anyone meant that saftey was being jepordized but if the space was ok last year and the seatbelts provide a extra protection, the why dose are the seatbelts shorter than what was safe last year? Heck I lost 15 pds since my last ride on Drop Zone and the seat belt wasnt even close to latching!

If you Can ride face off, then you should be able to ride Drop Zone, but thats just my humble point of view.

Chuck

Re: NOTE TO SHAGGY AND OTHERS........ by Rob Lec at 4/16/00 9:17:58 AM

> If you Can ride face off, then
> you should be able to ride Drop Zone, but
> thats just my humble point of view.

Chuck - I don't dispute anything you are saying, but just FYI, I am almost too tall to ride Drop Zone. I have friends who are too tall for it. (Even King Cobra is a tight fit, and we're skinny as a rail). I have to sit in only the front seats on Vortex, TG, and OL:FOF, and you should see my wife and I trying to fit on Beastie. Its Hilarious!

The seats have to be designed to fit the very small as well as the fairly large. But I do feel sorry for those who, like you, cannot fit into the restraints of any ride, (OL:FOF seems to be another) especially if you used to be able to before they changed something. I also understand why park management must make such unpopular decisions at times.