Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Goliath opinions

Goliath opinions

Raptor Timmy

Posted:
4/14/00 at
3:53:35 PM

Is the new millennium off to a good start with Goliath? Anyone who has been on it please give your opinion on the ride.

Re: Goliath opinions by Chainrider at 4/14/00 4:54:39 PM

> Is the new millennium off to a good start
> with Goliath? Anyone who has been on it
> please give your opinion on the ride.

The ride is awesome-It has a powerful and positive start and a powerful positive end. Although on the "short side," it still boasts an awesome first drop, and one of the best helixes of any coaster I know of. Definetly not a ride to miss!

Mike

Re: Goliath opinions by Jim Disney at 4/14/00 5:07:04 PM

Well, I'm not going to compare it with MF at all since it'd be like comparing apples and oranges. So with that in mind, here's my review.

It's a great ride, with wonderful airtime down the first drop and bunny hill. But the real draw of this ride is the second half of the ride which can be best described as a twister from hell. It's wicked!! The helix is being refered to as "The Centrifuge" by some because of it's amazing G-forces and near blackout conditions. The ride in general is a little bit short, about 500-1000 feet shorter than the average hyper coaster. But it's a non-stop ride, no real lulls in the track and hardly a strait section after the bunny hill.

As for MF, I think it will be a great coaster, but it shouldn't be compared to Goliath, they're entirely different rides so, there's really no comparison. MF will be a great ride just as Goliath's a great ride.

JD

The Southern California Coaster Club

Re: Goliath opinions by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/14/00 5:21:04 PM

Well, I'm not going to compare it with MF at all
> since it'd be like comparing apples and
> oranges. So with that in mind, here's my
> review. It's a great ride, with wonderful
> airtime down the first drop and bunny hill.
> But the real draw of this ride is the second
> half of the ride which can be best described
> as a twister from hell. It's wicked!! The
> helix is being refered to as "The
> Centrifuge" by some because of it's
> amazing G-forces and near blackout
> conditions. The ride in general is a little
> bit short, about 500-1000 feet shorter than
> the average hyper coaster. But it's a
> non-stop ride, no real lulls in the track
> and hardly a strait section after the bunny
> hill. As for MF, I think it will be a great
> coaster, but it shouldn't be compared to
> Goliath, they're entirely different rides
> so, there's really no comparison. MF will be
> a great ride just as Goliath's a great ride.
> JD

I agree Jim, MF and SFNE Superman look to be my must rides of the year. But in the meantime, Goliath is my favorite steel coaster thus far. The first drop didn't do much for me, but after that this coaster is close to perfection, and just flat out fun.

Anyone got on THE Legened?? is it open? by OhioMike at 4/14/00 5:51:51 PM

Speaking of new ones, as we wait hear for SOB, and MF and BMKF, ect, ive herd about Goliath, But what about The Legened. Another new one, that looked cool ripping threw the woods. I like that barried in the woods look. AS ANYONE GOT ON THIS, i DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE ITS AT! But is it good??? Bad?? Whatever?? Just want to know what its like, I thought it might be a sleeper, this year along with The Villan, From looking just at pics.

They got a few things in common, by OhioMike at 4/14/00 6:10:03 PM

For one I just saw the on opening day pics of it in action. And it looks really cool. So the one thing I saw that Goliath and MF have in common, the wierdest but coolest looking cars for the train. They both seem to have great open viewed trains. Am I right? to anyone who had ridden "Well I got to think of a nickname for it" The Big G. The Trains are high on MF. And seem to be On the big G. Are they? And for a couple of weeks you guys have the fastest highest "i think" working roller coaster for now. Tthats a guess?? But I havent read the specs yet.

Re: Anyone got on THE Legened?? is it open? by acer at 4/14/00 6:14:32 PM

The Legend is located at Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana (about an hour and a half West of Louisville KY. I have been on the Legend, last December during a construction tour we were allowed to stand on the track, hehehe!

Actually the Legend will debut on May 5th to coaster enthusiasts and on May 6th to the GP. I agree with you that the Legend just may be the sleeper of the year. The park president is a coaster enthusiast and asked for ideas on the track layout from other enthusiasts> The Legend should be a wild ride full of airtime and I can hardly wait ti ride it.

acer

Re: Anyone got on THE Legened?? is it open? by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/14/00 6:39:21 PM

> The Legend is located at Holiday World in
> Santa Claus Indiana (about an hour and a
> half West of Louisville KY. I have been on
> the Legend, last December during a
> construction tour we were allowed to stand
> on the track, hehehe! Actually the Legend
> will debut on May 5th to coaster enthusiasts
> and on May 6th to the GP. I agree with you
> that the Legend just may be the sleeper of
> the year. The park president is a coaster
> enthusiast and asked for ideas on the track
> layout from other enthusiasts> The Legend
> should be a wild ride full of airtime and I
> can hardly wait ti ride it. acer

Yeah, I hardly hear much about it anymore. SOB, The Boss and Boulder Dash have gotten more of recent attention, so it looks like Legend may be the sleeper after all.

Re: Goliath opinions by Matthew Nelson at 4/15/00 12:15:38 AM

It is an AWESOME ride, far more fun and exciting than I had anticipated. It just seems to be getting better too, with the new wheels, the cars have an almost eerie quiet to them as they cycle the track. Front left seat is great, with ejector air as the train goes up to the first turnaround. Gotta love the big G and the high G finale that'll turn your legs to jelly :-)

Matt

Re: Goliath opinions by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 4/15/00 12:19:08 AM

The ride is awesome-It has a powerful and
> positive start and a powerful positive end.
> Although on the "short side," it
> still boasts an awesome first drop, and one
> of the best helixes of any coaster I know
> of. Definetly not a ride to miss! Mike

I will always give a thumbs up to Goliath. Thus far it is my #1 steel coaster. Any coaster that brings me to the point of losing conciousness (the helix at the end) is a ride to be reckoned with. Suffice to say that I am just itching for another visit to SFMM to experience that wonderful rush from this killer coaster. 'Nuff said!

Re: Goliath opinions by JAL at 4/15/00 5:08:51 PM

A great coaster, or was a great coaster ride. I been hearing alot of reports lately that they have turned the Block Brakes up pretty high just recently.

That being the case, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Jim

Re: Goliath opinions - brakes are no problem (yet) by Bruce Jensen at 4/17/00 2:40:48 PM

Hi - you wrote:

> A great coaster, or was a great coaster
> ride. I been hearing alot of reports lately
> that they have turned the Block Brakes up
> pretty high just recently. That being the
> case, I wouldn't expect too much from it.
> Jim

I was on the big "G" last week, and the block brakes were about the same as, or at worst just slightly above, the point where they were in February - and frankly, this could have been a function of ambient temperature and humidity, because in the PM they were on slightly harder than in the AM. Last Monday was a lot warmer than two months ago! The helix was as vicious as ever, and the drop off the brakes was as surprising as before.

The more significant effect I noticed was that the "magic" in a few key spots seemed to have diminished. One spot is when you just top the second hill - there used to be an amazing light airy feel to this location, the most frightening spot on the ride (to me) and truly a fine feeling. This time around, the ride had aged enough so that one merely felt a good lateral at this location. The second point of diminished magic is coming onto the final brake run. Formerly much like the top of the second hill, it now was merely a very good combo of lateral and air.

Overall, though, the ride was substantially the same as before. The first half had air aplenty and the second half was still a kicker.

Bruce Jensen