Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Smoother's vrs the Bangers Old men vrs young

Smoother's vrs the Bangers Old men vrs young

OhioMike

Posted:
4/14/00 at
1:33:29 PM

Its so wierd the age diffrental, and how the old guys really get so hyped on this smooth topic. While some of us younger rider's get all hiped on the bounceing around aspect. As A young gun, but getting older. I remember going to Six Flags Georgia, and rideing there Cyclone early in the day. And it kicked us around a little, and we were all excited about it. A tad bruised up and sweaty, but were like ya, that was awsome! When we got off. Then we road it at night right as it was closeing, and it seemed slower and smoother. And we were actually bumbed out. About it. I remember actually everyone saying, man that was diffent than the first time, sorta boreing. I know there are some extreme's that are to much. But like I said before its a coaster, It has signs warning you of back trouble etc etc. Its not going to be a cruise threw on the beach. Now I feel some steels should be smooth. But there are just certain coasters that arnt what they are unless they bang some. Big Dipper Ohio, Is air time banging. And its awsome. I cant even imagin how boreing that ride would be smooth. But in the same tooken I coudn't imagin how bad, lets say Magnum, or Serial Thriller, would be rough. So it goes both ways. But this came all about on the post on the SOB being smooth. Well I dont want it to cruise like ice. I want some roar in it.

Re: "Old Men" like it rough by Rocket Roger at 4/14/00 2:30:32 PM

I have to disagree with your observations, Mike. It seems to me that among enthusiasts the "old men" prefer the rough wooden coasters whereas the younger guys extol the virtues of the glass-smooth B&M's.

But I do agree with your take on SOB. Please, don't let it be toooooo smooth!

Rocket Roger

Re: "Old Men" like it rough by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 4/14/00 3:15:33 PM

> I have to disagree with your observations,
> Mike. It seems to me that among enthusiasts
> the "old men" prefer the rough
> wooden coasters whereas the younger guys
> extol the virtues of the glass-smooth B&M's.
> But I do agree with your take on SOB.
> Please, don't let it be toooooo smooth!
> Rocket Roger

For me it depends on the type of coaster. Wooden coasters seem to come off much better with a little roughness than steel. Rough steel seems to be worse because many steel coasters have OTSH restraints which can really box one's ears and head. I don't consider myself old at 30, and I have never minded picking up a few bruises from ERT on the likes of Ghostrider, but I do prefer that steel be smooth.

Smooth vs. Rough by PKI Buckeye at 4/14/00 4:49:31 PM

Ive gotta put my 2 cents in and say that I dont mind coasters being rough-- which I actually prefer. The first time I saw someone post Outer Limits: Flight of Pain, I did have to laugh, but I LOVE that! Last summer riding OL:FOF with my friend, he was saying OUCH! a lot during the circuit, and I was laughing so hard b/c of the banging that I started coughing! Gimme The Beast in the back seat being shaked apart flying into the helix, or gimme OL:FOF smashing through the inversions... its all good!

Wishing at was going to PKI tonight,

PKI Buckeye

Re: "Old Men" like it rough by OhioMike at 4/14/00 5:28:43 PM

> seems to be worse because many steel
> coasters have OTSH restraints which can
> really box one's ears and head.

I agree on the over the soulder harness bouncing. Thats why some steels have to be smooth, But wood, and steel. Are to difrent animals. I take steel as more of a flying exspirance. So it has to be smoother. But woods are more like a wild calvery run on a wild horse. So it has to buck a little. But the OTSH's make a diffrence in my point. They are sometimes a bothersome. Im glad both MF and SOB wont have them.