Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > KBF versus SFMM

KBF versus SFMM

roller_ryder

Posted:
4/13/00 at
11:45:24 PM

I will be in LA this summer and am going to everything I can to get to an amusment park while I am there. I will probably only get the chance for one park, and having never been to either one, I need some help deciding. Im leaning HEAVILY toward Six Flags, with Goliath and the higher coaster count, but Ghostrider looks tempting enough to make the decision tough. Anybody have suggestions? Heck, maybe I'll be able to go to both parks and not have to wory about deciding.

Im a new poster, but still looking forward to the PKI day. Gonna try to make it all the way from Oklahoma!

-roller_ryder

Re: KBF versus SFMM by Dustijn Hollon at 4/14/00 12:52:11 AM

Well if you are in it for coasters go to SFMM If you are in it for atmosphere go to KBF

Both are good parks and I'd recommend both. However the better woodie is at KBF :)

Dustijn

Re: KBF versus SFMM by Flare at 4/14/00 1:20:55 AM

> I will be in LA this summer and am going to
> everything I can to get to an amusment park
> while I am there. I will probably only get
> the chance for one park, and having never
> been to either one, I need some help
> deciding. Im leaning HEAVILY toward Six
> Flags, with Goliath and the higher coaster
> count, but Ghostrider looks tempting enough
> to make the decision tough. Anybody have
> suggestions? Heck, maybe I'll be able to go
> to both parks and not have to wory about
> deciding. Im a new poster, but still
> looking forward to the PKI day. Gonna try to
> make it all the way from Oklahoma!
> -roller_ryder

Both parks cater a different experience, imo; SFMM obviously offers a more definitive roster, and the addition of Goliath give the park one of the best all round steel variety out there. Goliath, Batman:TR, Riddler's, Ninja, Viper, and S:TE are all great rides. Not to mention they're doing some significant rehab on *Snoreclone* which, as bad as people say it is, isn't THAT bad...lol...and Colossus is running better than it has in a while.

Knott's Ghostrider is easily one of the best design's in wood i've ever experience; and the park is a really wonderfully *themed* experience; a decent roster of interesting flat rides, and a few really fun dark ride rides.

I'd say do both...

Bottom line, Knott's has the world class wood you SHOULD NOT miss if your just visiting, and theming; SFMM is the real *steel* for coaster count inflating! :-)

Dave

Re: KBF versus SFMM by Ken Williams at 4/14/00 3:55:09 AM

This may seem odd, but if you are traveling past any other Six Flags parks or you have been to several, they have a pretty good assortment in all their parks. If you have been to Cedar Fair's parks more than SF's then you would probably like Magic Mountain. Expect crowds there because of Goliath. KBF has a really great woodie. The thrills offered by their other coasters are about on par with some of Magic Mountain's older crop. It really depends on what you want in a park. Here is my estimate of both. 1.) Knott's Berry Farm. Flat park in the city with alot of attractions outside the gates(shops,shopping mall,themed areas). Inside the park, showy events astride the patrons, Ghostrider(woodie) and Bommerang(vekoma 6-element)coasters stand out. Hammerhead and Wipeout flat rides. Water Flume is famous as a built-up attraction. Dinosaur dark ride and Native American lodge show are unique features. This park is so close to Disneyland but it offers a slightly more thrill oriented experience. 2.) Magic Mountain. Hilly and out of the city(North 30 miles from dowtown LA.) This park is located in a soon to be extensively developed area called Santa Clarita. Rides center around enormous coasters. Lots of trees and such. Games of chance in one area of park. Batman, Goliath, and Riddler attract the biggest crowds. Go here if you are trying to get the most coaster experience. There are more flat rides here in the main section of the park than KBF has in theirs. But with the coasters, you don't notice them. They replaced their Trabant with the moved-from-the-Goliath-queue Tilt-A-Whirl. BOTH parks have a kiddieland and a smattering of themed shops and food stalls. I can smell the funnel cakes now!

Re: KBF versus SFMM by Chainrider at 4/14/00 11:12:15 AM

> I will be in LA this summer and am going to
> everything I can to get to an amusment park
> while I am there. I will probably only get
> the chance for one park, and having never
> been to either one, I need some help
> deciding. Im leaning HEAVILY toward Six
> Flags, with Goliath and the higher coaster
> count, but Ghostrider looks tempting enough
> to make the decision tough. Anybody have
> suggestions? Heck, maybe I'll be able to go
> to both parks and not have to wory about
> deciding. Im a new poster, but still
> looking forward to the PKI day. Gonna try to
> make it all the way from Oklahoma!
> -roller_ryder

Ghostrider is a one of a king ride that you SHOULDNT miss. Go to SFMM, take off half day and go to Knotts.

Mike

Both! by imaki at 4/14/00 1:47:37 PM

You can hit SFMM from 10:00 to 5:00, travel the hour and half (I think) trip to Knotts, and go after 6:00 when the price drops to $17 a ticket. Then you get both!

Ian

Re: KBF versus SFMM by roller_ryder at 4/15/00 1:26:42 AM

thanks for the suggestions all...