Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (Are you for real Jeff?)

Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (Are you for real Jeff?)

Cool Coaster

Posted:
4/13/00 at
9:00:11 PM

No, dont get me wrong. Your ratings are fine Jeff, except I have one small problem that I thought you were crazy. Now I have only been on 9 coasters total. Counting all of BGT and all of IOA and hopefully I will get a chance to go to Ohio and SFGA this summer, but thats besides the point. Now I want to know how you could put an Incredible coaster like the Incredible Hulk at IOA as one of your 60% favored coasters and put Scorpion at BGT at 70%. Either you have forgot that Scorpion has too high of a rating or you must really see something about that coaster that you like. May I ask what it is because I dont think that Scorpion should get that high of a rating. BTW, Fire Dragon is good, but in my opinion, Montu at BGT is better because FD is to short! Alright please answer back Jeff thanks, Matt

Re: Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (Are you for real Jeff? by Coasterdude at 4/13/00 9:47:58 PM

After looking at your ratings, I have to say I agree with you on how the inverted coasters rank. I have never been to IOA (so I have not ridden the top inverted in your list), but besides that I would rank the inverted coasters in a very similar way. So many people make such a big deal out of Alpengeist, but it isn't that good. I would take a ride on one of the smaller inverts like Batman:TR or Great Bear.

-Coasterdude

Re: Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (Are you for real Jeff? by Jeff Tolotti at 4/13/00 10:01:24 PM

> No, dont get me wrong. Your ratings are fine
> Jeff, except I have one small problem that I
> thought you were crazy.

Well you're not the first!

> Now I want to know
> how you could put an Incredible coaster like
> the Incredible Hulk at IOA as one of your
> 60% favored coasters and put Scorpion at BGT
> at 70%. Either you have forgot that Scorpion
> has too high of a rating or you must really
> see something about that coaster that you
> like. May I ask what it is because I dont
> think that Scorpion should get that high of
> a rating.

I don't like Hulk. After the launch and dive roll, I want to get off. The rest of it does nothing for me. I didn't even bother to *ride* it the last time I was in Florida.

I like Scorpion. Schwarzkopf is an absolute genius, and Scorp's ending 2.5-helix is awesome with a powerful finish. I *really* enjoy my rides on it.

> BTW, Fire Dragon is good, but in
> my opinion, Montu at BGT is better because
> FD is to short!

I don't judge rides on their length exactly - just what they do with their potential energy. Montu would still be in my top 5, but after the brakes (and I believe slower wheels) went on in December 98, I have virtually no use for it.

Jeff

Re: Ya gatta go with what YOU like! by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 4/14/00 1:14:27 AM

> No, dont get me wrong. Your ratings are fine
> Jeff, except I have one small problem that I
> thought you were crazy. Now I have only been
> on 9 coasters total. Counting all of BGT and
> all of IOA and hopefully I will get a chance
> to go to Ohio and SFGA this summer, but
> thats besides the point. Now I want to know
> how you could put an Incredible coaster like
> the Incredible Hulk at IOA as one of your
> 60% favored coasters and put Scorpion at BGT
> at 70%. Either you have forgot that Scorpion
> has too high of a rating or you must really
> see something about that coaster that you
> like. May I ask what it is because I dont
> think that Scorpion should get that high of
> a rating. BTW, Fire Dragon is good, but in
> my opinion, Montu at BGT is better because
> FD is to short! Alright please answer back
> Jeff thanks, Matt

I don't have a problem with Jeff's ratings. As far as I am concerned, it's better to go with what you like than being influenced by others. I am finding that my #1 rating for Volcano: The Blast Coaster, isn't very popular. However, I really like the LIM push (esp. up through the top of the volcano) more than most. I even feel like I put that acceleration feeling above most airtime episodes (so call me crazy).

Maybe my #2 woodie rating for SFO's Big Dipper is higher than most would put it, but that doesn't bother me, either.

One of the funnier ones is Two Face at SFA. I think that I would probably rate the experience of that coaster a lot higher than others on this board. It is just so much fun to me, going through an inverted inversion backwards. Many people on the board have stated that they feel that it is okay but not that great.

I even like discussing why a person does or does not like a coaster. It's just great that we have a great many and variety of coasters to choose from.

MarathonRunner

Re: Ya gatta go with what YOU like! by Jersey Joe at 4/14/00 1:29:01 AM

> I don't have a problem with Jeff's ratings. As
> far as I am concerned, it's better to go
> with what you like than being influenced by
> others.

-- You get an AMEN for that one! Jeff is entited to his opinions. After riding that many coasters, I am sure he knows what he likes and dislikes.

> I even like
> discussing why a person does or does not
> like a coaster. It's just great that we have
> a great many and variety of coasters to
> choose from. MarathonRunner

-- You get another AMEN for that one too! Aren't we lucky to have so many quality steel and wooden coasters being built each year all over the map? As enthusiasts, we are living in the 2nd golden era and it's amazing to see how far coasters have come in the past 20 years!!

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (u for real Jeff? by Cool Coaster at 4/14/00 8:32:58 AM

Well you're not the first! I don't like Hulk.
> After the launch and dive roll, I want to
> get off. The rest of it does nothing for me.
> I didn't even bother to *ride* it the last
> time I was in Florida. I like Scorpion.
> Schwarzkopf is an absolute genius, and
> Scorp's ending 2.5-helix is awesome with a
> powerful finish. I *really* enjoy my rides
> on it. I don't judge rides on their length
> exactly - just what they do with their
> potential energy. Montu would still be in my
> top 5, but after the brakes (and I believe
> slower wheels) went on in December 98, I
> have virtually no use for it. Jeff

Ok I see your points but I still think that the Hulk has more than just one element. Yes, Scorpion does have a nice power finish and yes Montu has the brakes and the wheels have been slowed. Alright thanks Jeff

Re: Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (Are you for real Jeff? by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:17:00 AM

>I don't judge rides on their length
> exactly - just what they do with their
> potential energy.

This is a great point that many, many people overlook! What is the use of length, world record statistics, and so on if the coaster fails to deliver any significant forces?

That is why I absolutely love a coaster like Laser at DP. It is small, but after the first drop delivers a relentless assault of positive and lateral g's. Too many coasters waste energy on pointless curves, inversions, etc. that deliver no forces. It's supposed to be a rollercoaster ride, not a Sunday drive. --K

Re: hahahahaha(NM) by SFRULES at 4/14/00 10:52:47 AM

__________ This is a great point that many,
> many people overlook! What is the use of
> length, world record statistics, and so on
> if the coaster fails to deliver any
> significant forces? That is why I
> absolutely love a coaster like Laser at DP.
> It is small, but after the first drop
> delivers a relentless assault of positive
> and lateral g's. Too many coasters waste
> energy on pointless curves, inversions, etc.
> that deliver no forces. It's supposed to be
> a rollercoaster ride, not a Sunday drive.
> --K

Re: Jeff Tolotti's Ratings (u for real Jeff? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/15/00 10:50:14 AM

> Well you're not the first! I don't like
> Hulk. Ok I see your points but I still
> think that the Hulk has more than just one
> element. Yes, Scorpion does have a nice
> power finish and yes Montu has the brakes
> and the wheels have been slowed. Alright
> thanks Jeff

I liked Hulk, but not enough to make my top 3. Fire Dragon is another matter... not sure where I would rank FD, but Montu is still my #1, because I remember how it was its opening year. It may not be the same coaster now that it was then.

It's refreshing that we all have different opinions. Glad to see other lists that do NOT have Magnum at the top, or those that DO have Top Gun rated highly.