Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Delayed PKD review for 2000.

Delayed PKD review for 2000.

Danny Biggerstaff (CoAsTeRDaN)

Posted:
4/13/00 at
7:07:22 PM

Well, I wanted to give it another week before I posted. I have been to BGW 4 times this year so far, and PKD twice. PKD is not up to par this year so far and I am not very happy with it. Maybe things will turn around this year, I certainly hope so.

First off, most food and all drinks have increased in price dramatically. Last year a large drink was under two bucks, now its just about three. Food is in the same situation, went up about a buck.

Operation, some of it has been wonderful, some has been really poor. Volcano just cant decide if it can work or not and its really getting old. I think its only operated one out of the 4 days of operation, maybe one and a half days so far.

I will say that even on the slowest of days they were running max trains on everything that was running, that was good.

They closed early last Sunday due to weather conditions, it was windy, BUT when I got there at 4pm there was hardly any wind and they still closed. So I was more than a bit dissapointed.

I guess all in all things are not that bad, but they need to get some things straightened out. I will say this, I am spending as little money there as possible this year. I will eat before or after instead of there. I refuse to pay these high prices. BGWs food and beverages are cheaper.

Grizzly got some new catwalks and handrail, I didnt see any track work done to it. It also got an anti roll back on the last runaround (just before the turn). It was running better than avg, but not its best.

Hurler got some new catwalk and no new track work and was running very poorly.

Rebel Yell was itself, typical out and back, no new suprises there either.

Anaconda was SOS DD.

OL FOF now stops to a dead stop on the midcourse. I was in the back seat and we stopped on our side because we were not fully in the brake. I didnt like it at the time, but the last half of the ride was much smoother and the corkscrew didnt bang us around at all.

Scooby Doo got SEAT BELTS... I dont know if they are making adults wear them or not, I am hoping they are for the little ones. I will have to find that out. But they are rather short...

Shockwave got its odd paint job and got a new lap bar, its about 6 inches longer and the shoulder harnesses got a seat belt. I think its bogus and its tight.... TOO TIGHT... It takes forever to load it now (much more so than before). And its only had one train ready so far this year.

The new kiddie turnpike is cute, but have to be very short to ride it.

Danny

CoAsTeRDaN's PaRk

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Jeff Tolotti at 4/13/00 7:51:10 PM

> I will say that even on the slowest of days
> they were running max trains on everything
> that was running, that was good.

Not RY on opening, at least not at first. And Grizzly had problems apparently, but that doesn't count.

> Rebel Yell was itself, typical out and back,
> no new suprises there either.

Retracked first drop forwards :)

Jeff

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Danny Biggerstaff (CoAsTeRDaN) at 4/13/00 9:53:57 PM

Not RY on opening, at least not at first. And
> Grizzly had problems apparently, but that
> doesn't count. Retracked first drop
> forwards :) Jeff

But it was still its typical self, no new suprises while riding. A yawner.

Danny

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by sparky sparky Profile at 4/13/00 11:15:47 PM

> Not RY on opening, at least not at first.
> And But it was still its typical self, no
> new suprises while riding. A yawner. Danny

Man you and Jeff are really spoiled by the woodies at PKD. If you had a SFGADV for a home themer, maybe you'd appreciate what you have more. I haven't been to PKD since April of '98, and remember Rebel Yell being its insane self airtimewise- PKI Racer and Thunder Road don't even come close to Rebel Yell. The last row going backwards takes my stomach everytime on the first drop and the drop off the turnaround. Maybe from working, and visitng PKD (I'd venture to guess) at least a few hundred times in your lifetime, Rebel Yell may be a bland ride, but it is still head and shoulders better than all out and backers I've ridden besides SFOG's GASM and Shivering Timbers.

As for seatbelts on Scooby, I doubt they will effect anything- PKD's Scooby is the sickest jr wood coaster I've done- slightly better than Carowinds but tons better than Zach's Zoomer and PKI Beastie. The back row air is almost Phoenix Like.

I'd take seatbelts over what the Dominion's Ohio sister park does to ever woodie- trim then to death with brakes. Even Beastie has a trim brake.

SOB's first drop may beat out Valleyfair Excalibur and Hercules for number of trims on first drop come 2001, we'll just have to see.

-sparky

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Jeff Tolotti at 4/14/00 12:25:57 AM

> The last row going backwards takes my
> stomach everytime on the first drop and the
> drop off the turnaround.

But two drops don't make a ride, and when the other nine hills offer no force at all, that doesn't leave me with much. Throw in the lack of curves and I'd say it's a mediocre ride at best. Thunder Road, while being a lot rougher, has MUCH more air.

Jeff

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Flare at 4/14/00 1:29:14 AM

First off,
> most food and all drinks have increased in
> price dramatically. Last year a large drink
> was under two bucks, now its just about
> three. Food is in the same situation, went
> up about a buck.

That shouldn't be a critique...Just because the park revamps it's price schedule for the 2000 season doesn't warrant a complaint. Perhaps you should be more informational in your criticism, as *overpriced* food is something i don't really concern myself with, as i don't go to parks to stuff up on the food so much. I'm more into the snack items *snocones etc*...

Dave

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:24:04 AM

Well, IMO the best thing to do is pack a small cooler with food and make a *quick* trip to the car to eat. It ends up being cheaper, healthier, and the food I make for myself is always MUCH tastier than anything I have run across at a theme park. Also, I think the food at BGW is lame. All the food in the Festhaus has been "Americanized" and has none of the flavor and kick of real German sausages and sanwiches. (Not to mention the terrible beer)

As far as V:TBC, it better be working when I go to PKD. It has only been working 2 out of the last 10 times I have been there. That's 20%. A great ride, but I like it best because it ties up most of the people in it's queue line while I'm getting massive amounts of rides on the other coasters! :) --K

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:26:15 AM

But two drops don't make a ride, and when the
> other nine hills offer no force at all, that
> doesn't leave me with much. Throw in the
> lack of curves and I'd say it's a mediocre
> ride at best. Thunder Road, while being a
> lot rougher, has MUCH more air. Jeff

________

If memory serves me right, the RY used to have a little more airtime on the return trip home. The out portion has always lacked airtime. --K

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Rocket Roger at 4/14/00 10:11:29 AM

Interesting, I heard quite a bit of grumbling about PKD last Saturday from the attendees at the SOB preview day. Mostly about uninspired personnel. Hopefully, things will improve as the season progresses.

Rocket Roger

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Danny Biggerstaff (CoAsTeRDaN) at 4/14/00 4:25:26 PM

> First off, That shouldn't be a
> critique...Just because the park revamps
> it's price schedule for the 2000 season
> doesn't warrant a complaint. Perhaps you
> should be more informational in your
> criticism, as *overpriced* food is something
> i don't really concern myself with, as i
> don't go to parks to stuff up on the food so
> much. I'm more into the snack items
> *snocones etc*... Dave

In your opinion is shouldn't be a critique... In my opinion, it should, why? First off I go to the park at least 30 times a year. In that time I have to buy a great deal of drink or soda. (I say have to because its hot around here ya know). And increasing the price DOES affect me and the locals who attend a great deal of times. Yes, it most certainly should go in there.

Danny

CoAsTeRDaNs PaRk

Re: Delayed PKD review for 2000. by Sam A. Marks at 4/17/00 7:28:09 AM

But two drops don't make a ride, and when the
> other nine hills offer no force at all, that
> doesn't leave me with much. Throw in the
> lack of curves and I'd say it's a mediocre
> ride at best. Thunder Road, while being a
> lot rougher, has MUCH more air. Jeff

I like the positive g's coming up into the turn too! RY is what it is, a signature ride. I remember when it was described as glass smooth, what ever happened to those days? the ride is bumpy now, and it's just straight track with no major forces on it. hopefully PKD will do the work during the off weeks before daily operation begins, that's their usual style.

I don't know, but I Love this ride simply for the history, and allure (is that a Ray U term or what?:) It's like travelling back in time. On the outbound forward side (if you focus to the right of the far turn), you can imagine being at PKD (or KD) when it was new. There's not many places in the park that seem to allow a little looking back. Maybe a ride on the antique cars, or a stroll thru the ivy tunnel between candy apple grove and old virginia. (I STILL MISS THE TRAIN) or gazing straight out to the exits from the tower.

SAM