Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SOB: Rough or Smooth?

SOB: Rough or Smooth?

MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile

Posted:
4/13/00 at
4:24:41 PM

My prediction here is rough. I am going on reputation of the manufacturers. RCCA -- builders of The Rattler -- a fairly rough rollercoaster (beautiful but rough and a bit overbraked). Premier Rides (manufacturers of the cars) -- hasn't built a smooth coaster that I've been on.

Therefore, I would be really surprised if SOB is smooth like a CCI or GCI. However, the topic of if it will be fun is different. I think that it could be really fun if it works well.

Good luck to PKI, RCCA, and Premier Rides with this one. I am really looking forward to taking it for a spin this summer!!!

MarathonRunner

Re: SOB: Rough or Smooth? by TheBeastAaron at 4/13/00 4:47:51 PM

Well all woodies are a little rough and bumpy but thats what makes them soooooooo much more fun than steels!

-Aaron

Aaron's Coaster Mania!

Re: SOB: Rough or Smooth? by swOHman at 4/13/00 4:54:25 PM

It would be a big dissapointment if it wasn't rough. I think woodies need to have that certain roughness to them to make them good. If I want smooth I'll go on a B&M. It also needs to be rough to live up to daddies name. I can't wait to see it up close tomorrow! Well thats my $.02.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian (PKI in 1 Day!!!)

Re: SOB: Rough, but only interestingly so... by CoastaPlaya at 4/13/00 5:32:15 PM

> My prediction here is rough. I am going on
> reputation of the manufacturers. RCCA --
> builders of The Rattler -- a fairly rough
> rollercoaster (beautiful but rough and a bit
> overbraked). Premier Rides (manufacturers of
> the cars) -- hasn't built a smooth coaster
> that I've been on. Therefore, I would be
> really surprised if SOB is smooth like a CCI
> or GCI. However, the topic of if it will be
> fun is different. I think that it could be
> really fun if it works well. Good luck to
> PKI, RCCA, and Premier Rides with this one.
> I am really looking forward to taking it for
> a spin this summer!!! MarathonRunner

...at least during Year 1. After all, even Mean Streak was rideable in its first year!

-CPlaya

Re: SOB: Rough or Smooth? by mr acer at 4/13/00 8:00:26 PM

The polymer ring in the wheels should smooth out the ride somewhat, but I think that the designer will have more effect. Werner Stengel has quite the background in steel coaster design and this should help with the transitions between the different elements. I think we all are forgetting the incredible speed the train will carry. I am hoping that it inherited the overwhelming roar that I love from its dad.

mr acer

Smooooooth by Rocket Roger at 4/14/00 9:49:12 AM

Many enthusiasts forget that SOB is not just another oversized woodie. It was designed with full knowledge of the history of such coasters as Rattler, Mean Streak and Beast. SOB was not built with the standard track guage and will not use standard coaster trains. It is really not comparable to anything built before. My only concern is that it might be too smooth.

Rocket Roger

Hope not to smooth, you need some kick. by OhioMike at 4/14/00 1:12:54 PM

I hope its not to smooth. I like a little kick in my coasters still, I guess im still one of the young gun riders. Wilder the better. x in xtream etc etc. When kick is good. I know all the old guys look for that smooth thing. But if all you old guys can remember the past when it was all about the kick in the butt it gave ya. Now everyone wants to just cruise around. But thers still some of us Young Guns Around.

Re: SOB: Rough or Smooth? by Pete at 4/16/00 6:54:02 PM

> My prediction here is rough. I am going on
> reputation of the manufacturers. RCCA --
> builders of The Rattler -- a fairly rough
> rollercoaster (beautiful but rough and a bit
> overbraked). Premier Rides (manufacturers of
> the cars) -- hasn't built a smooth coaster
> that I've been on. Therefore, I would be
> really surprised if SOB is smooth like a CCI
> or GCI. However, the topic of if it will be
> fun is different. I think that it could be
> really fun if it works well. Good luck to
> PKI, RCCA, and Premier Rides with this one.
> I am really looking forward to taking it for
> a spin this summer!!! MarathonRunner

Hi there I also think its gonna be rough after ridin Wild Wild West at Wrner Bros Movie World last week it was not a pleasurable experierience. It shook bounced everywhere and just hurt so I would not be to keen on riding it. Pete

Coaster Crazy World

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.