Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Magic Springs

Magic Springs

sparky sparky Profile

Posted:
4/13/00 at
12:03:38 PM

Although I'm sure most of you have heard of Magic Springs and its THIRD reopening this year, I bet very few of you have actually ventured to Hot Springs, AR to visit it for yourself.

I was lucky enough last May to tour the grounds, and can tell you the location and scenery is on par with any park I have visited. Combine the hilly terrain of Silver Dollar City with the "middle of nowhere in the woods" feel of Knoebel's, and you have Magic Springs.

The park will be reopening three rides from its last days of glory- the Arkansas Twister (Cobb O&B circa '78 moved from Fla's Boardwalk and Baseball), their Whitewater Wet Dry Slides, and their Bradley and Kaye Log Flume that has been completely overhauled by O.D. Hopkins.

The Arkansas Twister is receiving a new computer controlled fin brake system to allow for two train operation. The trains are going to be Gerstauler. I rode this ride at the age of 7 in Florida and don't remember much of how it is, but most who rode it in both locations say it got better upon moving to Arkansas.

A total of 25 brand new rides will be installed, with most of them coming from Zamperla- the lineup will include a Hawk 24 (single arm model of Kennywood's new ride), and the first park model Power Surge.

Also, a small, but nice waterpark (larger than Visionland's LOL) will include a wave pool, family pool, and two slide towers. I believe Proslide are doing the water slides.

The Two Parks for One is their slogan, but for about $22, the POP is a great deal. The management team responsible for Kentucky Kingdom's expansion in the early '90s (including Thunder Run, Giant Wheel, Mile High Falls, and T2) is the same team doing this project.

For those of you traveling through the midwest, I'd make it a point to stop off and see this beautiful park. It's about 5 hours from SFSTL, 3 hours from Libertyland, and 2.5 hours from Silver Dollar City. Also within a days drive are parks like SFoT, Jazzland, and WOF.

-sparky

Re: Magic Springs by Jeff King at 4/13/00 12:38:58 PM

Thanks for the info Sparky :)

I'm very glad that this park is re-opening, and I'm ALSO glad that it's the team that originally had KK. This park is in a *very* beautiful setting, and with the new life put into the park, should do very well. The old part of town is beautiful as well.

Did they remove the old Sky Hook thingy? It was barely working when I went in '93.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Magic Springs by rcfanatic at 4/13/00 12:57:24 PM

> Thanks for the info Sparky :) I'm very glad
> that this park is re-opening, and I'm ALSO
> glad that it's the team that originally had
> KK. This park is in a *very* beautiful
> setting, and with the new life put into the
> park, should do very well. The old part of
> town is beautiful as well. Did they remove
> the old Sky Hook thingy? It was barely
> working when I went in '93. Thanks, Jeff

I visited the park the last year it was in operation. My home park is SFOT, so Magic Springs had almost more of the feel of a "gussied up" carnival. I love the Hot Springs area and thought the setting and scenery of the park were great. The Arkansas Twister was alot of fun. My thoughts were oh this is just an out and back, good for a couple of rides. I wound up riding this thing all day long. It was different from a city park (or at least for SFOT which is right on the interstate). The ride on this coaster into the woods was a different experience for me. When I was there, they were still running the Sky Hook. This was nostalgic for me since I remember the days as a mere child (how long ago was that!??) when this was origianlly at SFOT during the 60's. I am very excited to see this park open again as I have relatives in the Hot Springs area and I too highly recommend everyone to visit.

Re: Magic Springs by Steven Wilson at 4/15/00 2:08:09 AM

> For those of you traveling
> through the midwest, I'd make it a point to
> stop off and see this beautiful park. It's
> about 5 hours from SFSTL, 3 hours from
> Libertyland, and 2.5 hours from Silver
> Dollar City. Also within a days drive are
> parks like SFoT, Jazzland, and WOF. -sparky

I was really disappointed that they chose not to retain the Sky Hook, a vintage Six Flags ride. It was the ride I was most interested to ride once again. But, yet another piece of amusement park history is discarded. Originally installed at the 1958 World's Fair in Brussels, Belgium, the Sky Hook was relocated to Six Flags Over Texas. It was the first Six Flags ride that early visitors saw as they neared the Arlington, TX park. Removed from Six Flags Over Texas and replaced with the taller Oil Derrick observation tower, the Sky Hook moved to Six Flags Over Georgia. As a child, I rode the Sky Hook at both SFOT and SFOG.

I know a lot of long-time Six Flags buffs were savoring the thought of taking another ride on the Sky Hook, but Magic Springs had other plans. I heard that the ride is being or already has been junked. Sadly, I never got to ride the Sky Hook at Magic Springs. Because of a project at work, a planned trip to OK and AR got postponed -- beyond the end of Magic Springs' short fall operating schedule. The park did not reopen the following and subsequent years.

You made some good suggestions for visiting other parks in the region. One you left out is Bell's in Tulsa.

Steven