Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000??

Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000??

a-mad

Posted:
4/13/00 at
10:23:50 AM

While I was falling asleep last night I realized that other than SFO's S:UE there are no other new inverted coasters in the U.S. for 2000.... including Vekoma SLC's.... Are we seeing the end of the 'Invert Renaissance'?? I do know that there is talk of Dorney getting one next year... anyone else?? Also, where did B&M's inverts go this year, other than 'Katun' at that park in Italy??

a-mad

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by comet3506 at 4/13/00 11:17:11 AM

> While I was falling asleep last night I
> realized that other than SFO's S:UE there
> are no other new inverted coasters in the
> U.S. for 2000.... including Vekoma SLC's....
> Are we seeing the end of the 'Invert
> Renaissance'?? I do know that there is talk
> of Dorney getting one next year... anyone
> else?? Also, where did B&M's inverts go this
> year, other than 'Katun' at that park in
> Italy?? a-mad

Well just about every major park has one now except of course, the cedar fair parks. So yeah I don't think we will see too many more Inverts coming out in the coming years.

comet

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by Jeff Tolotti at 4/13/00 2:28:18 PM

> Also, where did B&M's inverts go this
> year, other than 'Katun' at that park in
> Italy?

They were eaten by the four floorlesses. :) Katun is the only inverted.

Jeff

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by sparky sparky Profile at 4/13/00 2:55:30 PM

They were eaten by the four floorlesses. :)
> Katun is the only inverted. Jeff

Much the same way their stand ups were eaten by the inverted coaster-'93 saw two inverts at SFGADV and PGA and NO new stand ups, while they had done a stand up each of the previous three years (Iron Wolf, PGA Vortex, PCAR Vortex).

Inverts are far from dead, just until the price drops a bit- the the market is saturated right now with them IMO, at least in parks that could afford one. There may be a dozen or so more parks that could afford the 5-6 mil towards an SLC (Iowa's Adventureland and Canobie Lake being two of them), but none of these calibor parks can come close to affording the price of a B&M invert unless they go for an unthemed Batman layout which I believe can be had for around 7-8 mil.

-sparky

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by a-mad at 4/13/00 4:08:56 PM

> There may be a dozen or so more parks that
> could afford the 5-6 mil towards an SLC
> (Iowa's Adventureland and Canobie Lake being
> two of them), but none of these calibor
> parks can come close to affording the price
> of a B&M invert unless they go for an
> unthemed Batman layout which I believe can
> be had for around 7-8 mil. -sparky

I'm hoping Lagoon is in that bunch. I don't think they can afford a hypercoaster (although a smallish Steel Eel size might be possible) They certainly have the space, now, for a hyper. If they go invert, I just hope they pony up the $8 mil for a standard B&M rather than an SLC.

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by Thrill Seeker at 4/13/00 6:23:18 PM

Well just about every major park has one now
> except of course, the cedar fair parks. So
> yeah I don't think we will see too many more
> Inverts coming out in the coming years.
> comet

I think its because of the new B&M floorless models,and also the rumor that TA2K might find a home somewhere out west within the next 2 years--Inverted coasters are some of the best steelies,without a doubt,its just time to move on to a new design,at least in an engineers frame of mind!

coney island could use one by john smith at 4/13/00 9:06:57 PM

> They were eaten by the four floorlesses. :)
> Much the same way their stand ups were eaten
> by the inverted coaster-'93 saw two inverts
> at SFGADV and PGA and NO new stand ups,
> while they had done a stand up each of the
> previous three years (Iron Wolf, PGA Vortex,
> PCAR Vortex). Inverts are far from dead,
> just until the price drops a bit- the the
> market is saturated right now with them IMO,
> at least in parks that could afford one.

coney island does not have any looping coasters. a b&m inverted would fit in perfectly

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by Wendigo at 4/15/00 5:00:16 PM

> They were eaten by the four floorlesses. :)
> Much the same way their stand ups were eaten
> by the inverted coaster-'93 saw two inverts
> at SFGADV and PGA and NO new stand ups,
> while they had done a stand up each of the
> previous three years (Iron Wolf, PGA Vortex,
> PCAR Vortex). Inverts are far from dead,
> just until the price drops a bit- the the
> market is saturated right now with them IMO,
> at least in parks that could afford one.

Perhaps now would be a good time for more B&M inverts to show up at European parks-theres not too many major U.S. parks that don't have one and floorless coasters seem to be all the rage now. Katun sounds like it could could well be Europe's Montu, both coasters are large and have similar theming (Montu's Egypt theme and Katun's Mayan theme, plus both coasters are named after mythological charatchers). Port Aventura sounds like the most likely canidate for an inverted for the future (I remember a rumor some time ago about the park possibly getting a Dueling Dragons type ride since its now owned by Universal), but I'm sure there are other Euro parks that could wind up with a B&M invert within a year or two. -Wendigo

Re: Notice the lack of U.S. Inverts in 2000?? by Masher at 4/18/00 11:56:32 AM

Don't count on Canobie getting a major coaster. When they added the Corkscrew in the mid to late 80's the neighbors fought it tooth an nail and were almost successful in nixing the installation.

I happen to think that this is a good thing. The traditional feel of Canobie nestled in the woods adjacent to the scenic Canobie Lake could be adversly affected by the addition of monster coasters. For my buck I would rather see them add a top notch Wild Mouse as this would fit the feel of the park perfectly.

If I'm looking for a Coaster Centric park with plenty of wood and steel SFNE fits the bill nicely.