Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New England trip questions

New England trip questions

KMAN KMAN Profile

Posted:
4/13/00 at
8:46:23 AM

Well it's official! S:ROS at SFNE has already got my attention, but it is Boulder Dash that is probably going to screw up my travel plans! Now, I'm trying to squeeze in a 4 day New England tour and may have to cancel out a midwest run at SFGAm and SFStL.

Anyways, on the map it looks like Lake Compounce and SFNE are not that far apart. How far of a drive is it?

Secondly, will my Six Flags season pass be accepted at the Great Escape?

As of now this is my tentative New England schedule. Day 1 - drive Day 2 - Great Escape. My second trip to ride the GE Comet! Day 3(split) Early morning to 4 or 4:30pm at SFNE and then take the after 5pm rate at Lake Compounce to close the day with nighttime rides on BD. Day 4 - Astroland and CI Cyclone and then drive home.

Thanks for any help. I really hope I can pull this trip off. I forgot to mention how excited I am for the PTC trains on Riverside Cyclone. This should improve what I already thought was a remarkable coaster! --K

Re: New England trip questions by Chris at 4/13/00 9:06:53 AM

> Well it's official! S:ROS at SFNE has
> already got my attention, but it is Boulder
> Dash that is probably going to screw up my
> travel plans! Now, I'm trying to squeeze in
> a 4 day New England tour and may have to
> cancel out a midwest run at SFGAm and SFStL.
> Anyways, on the map it looks like Lake
> Compounce and SFNE are not that far apart.
> How far of a drive is it? Secondly, will my
> Six Flags season pass be accepted at the
> Great Escape? As of now this is my
> tentative New England schedule. Day 1 -
> drive Day 2 - Great Escape. My second trip
> to ride the GE Comet! Day 3(split) Early
> morning to 4 or 4:30pm at SFNE and then take
> the after 5pm rate at Lake Compounce to
> close the day with nighttime rides on BD.
> Day 4 - Astroland and CI Cyclone and then
> drive home. Thanks for any help. I really
> hope I can pull this trip off. I forgot to
> mention how excited I am for the PTC trains
> on Riverside Cyclone. This should improve
> what I already thought was a remarkable
> coaster! --K

KMAN, SFNE and Compounce are about 1 hour apart. It's a shame you don't have more time because you will be missing out on some great traditional parks in New England. Whalom and Canobie are about an hour from each other and Funtown isn't too much further from Canobie. Chris.

Re: New England trip questions by Flare at 4/13/00 9:28:21 AM

> Well it's official! S:ROS at SFNE has
> already got my attention, but it is Boulder
> Dash that is probably going to screw up my
> travel plans! Now, I'm trying to squeeze in
> a 4 day New England tour and may have to
> cancel out a midwest run at SFGAm and SFStL.
> Anyways, on the map it looks like Lake
> Compounce and SFNE are not that far apart.
> How far of a drive is it? Secondly, will my
> Six Flags season pass be accepted at the
> Great Escape? As of now this is my
> tentative New England schedule. Day 1 -
> drive Day 2 - Great Escape. My second trip
> to ride the GE Comet! Day 3(split) Early
> morning to 4 or 4:30pm at SFNE and then take
> the after 5pm rate at Lake Compounce to
> close the day with nighttime rides on BD.
> Day 4 - Astroland and CI Cyclone and then
> drive home. Thanks for any help. I really
> hope I can pull this trip off. I forgot to
> mention how excited I am for the PTC trains
> on Riverside Cyclone. This should improve
> what I already thought was a remarkable
> coaster! --K

Hey K,

Good call...though SFStL will is a tough one to pass with Boss opening... but somehow i think you'll do just fine. The one steel on everyone's *hit* list seems to be S:RoS.

GE will, from what i understand accepts the SF passes. Not positive, but i think that is the case! But i'd suggest driving down after the day there to stay close to Agawam, MA so as to get an early start the next day... *Of course niterides on Comet RULE!!!!*

Regarding the split day between SFNE and Lake Compounce, you're liable to run into rush hour traffic through Springfield and Hartford, which could make your arrival time a bit later, but i think it's certainly doable... If you're going on a weekday, you'll be in good shape, crowdwise. Even with ALL the hype of the new *Riverside* ala SFNE, weekdays at that park have never been, and i believe, will still be quite tolerable. I was there when Minderaser opened, and it was promoted non-stop on TV forever it seemed, and i walked on for 3 straight hours...erased my whole memory in fact!...lol

Not much to say about Astroland, other than as out of the way as it is, if you've not ridden the Cylone, you'd be riding it at a VERY good time, as some of the rough spots of the tricky double down into the surf ave turn have been cleaned up. Steve said she's running beautifully!

Sounds like a great trip! Hopefully i'll be able to meet up with you at some point on it and apologize in person for wreaking havoc on your travel plans! :-)

Cheers, Dave

Re: New England trip questions by rocketmover at 4/13/00 11:26:26 AM

Rye Playland is also worth a stop, just outside of New York City in Westchester County, N.Y. Last I heard it was either free admission or nominal. Derby Racer itself is worth the stop, not to mention Dragon Coaster and bowing and genuflecting over the site of the once-mighty Rye Airplane. Architecture is neat, too.

Re: New England trip questions by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:38:38 AM

> Rye Playland is also worth a stop, just
> outside of New York City in Westchester
> County, N.Y. Last I heard it was either free
> admission or nominal. Derby Racer itself is
> worth the stop, not to mention Dragon
> Coaster and bowing and genuflecting over the
> site of the once-mighty Rye Airplane.
> Architecture is neat, too.

_________

Wow, I forgot about Rye completely! Thanks for the reminder. And yes, no trip containing so many great woodies would be complete without paying homage to the site of one of the greats. A-la-Airplane-Coaster! --K

Re: New England trip questions by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:40:00 AM

Hey K, Good call...though SFStL will is a tough
> one to pass with Boss opening... but somehow
> i think you'll do just fine. The one steel
> on everyone's *hit* list seems to be S:RoS.
> GE will, from what i understand accepts the
> SF passes. Not positive, but i think that is
> the case! But i'd suggest driving down after
> the day there to stay close to Agawam, MA so
> as to get an early start the next day... *Of
> course niterides on Comet RULE!!!!*
> Regarding the split day between SFNE and
> Lake Compounce, you're liable to run into
> rush hour traffic through Springfield and
> Hartford, which could make your arrival time
> a bit later, but i think it's certainly
> doable... If you're going on a weekday,
> you'll be in good shape, crowdwise. Even
> with ALL the hype of the new *Riverside* ala
> SFNE, weekdays at that park have never been,
> and i believe, will still be quite
> tolerable. I was there when Minderaser
> opened, and it was promoted non-stop on TV
> forever it seemed, and i walked on for 3
> straight hours...erased my whole memory in
> fact!...lol Not much to say about
> Astroland, other than as out of the way as
> it is, if you've not ridden the Cylone,
> you'd be riding it at a VERY good time, as
> some of the rough spots of the tricky double
> down into the surf ave turn have been
> cleaned up. Steve said she's running
> beautifully! Sounds like a great trip!
> Hopefully i'll be able to meet up with you
> at some point on it and apologize in person
> for wreaking havoc on your travel plans! :-)
> Cheers, Dave

_______

Hey Dave, thanks for the tips. The good thing about all of these SF parks is that a season pass can be used at so many places! --K

Re: New England trip questions by KMAN KMAN Profile at 4/14/00 9:41:29 AM

KMAN, SFNE and Compounce are about 1 hour apart.
> It's a shame you don't have more time
> because you will be missing out on some
> great traditional parks in New England.
> Whalom and Canobie are about an hour from
> each other and Funtown isn't too much
> further from Canobie. Chris.

_____

I know, I know! I wish I had more time. I'd really like to get a chance to ride Excaliber one day. Have you been on it? Thanks for answering the post. :) --K

Re: New England trip questions (my old TR) by Chris at 4/14/00 12:22:52 PM

> KMAN, SFNE and Compounce are about 1 hour
> apart. _____ I know, I know! I wish I had
> more time. I'd really like to get a chance
> to ride Excaliber one day. Have you been on
> it? Thanks for answering the post. :) --K

KMAN, I've posted my New England TR from last year to give you my opinions on the parks there. As you will see, I was able to cover a lot of ground in only five days. I've also been to Lake George Great Escape, Coney Island, and Rye Playland.

New England Trip 99

My significant other and I spent five days in New England to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday. We visited amusement parks in MA, NH, ME, and CT.

July 1st we visited Riverside Park in MA. After hearing so many bad things about Riverside, I wasnít expecting much but it ended up being my second favorite park of the trip. Although the building facades suggest themed areas and the Six Flags convergence is evident for next year, the park had a very traditional feel. The overcast skies kept crowds away so the longest wait was about 15 minutes for the Mind Eraser. I found the employees to be efficient and polite. The first coaster we rode was the Riverside Cyclone. The track is a twisted heap of swoop curves with airtime filled drops between them. Off the lift, the steep first drop heads right into a sharp left turn that throws you right into a lapbar slamming drop. In the back seat, this equates to slammer air off the lift right into slamming laterals in the turn then super slamming ejector air on the next drop. The rest of the ride is a series of airtime filled drops and hard lateral G turns all taken at break neck speed. It is one of the most intense rides Iíve ever been on and the first ride in a while that actually scared me Unfortunately, the Morgan cars make for a very painful ride that left bruises on my back and arm. They track fine but the unpadded fiberglass seats, especially the seat dividers, and unpadded lap bars just kill you. If they switched to 2 bench PTCs or maybe even the new open front GCIs, this would probably be my #1 woodie. Next up was the Black Widow. Itís a standard Arrow shuttle loop except that there are brakes just before the drops that eliminated the airtime usually felt on this kind of ride. Then it was off to the Mind Eraser, a standard Vekoma SLC with an average amount of head smacking courtesy of the OTSR pads. The last coaster ride in the park was the Thunderbolt, a wonderful three-level figure eight running three bench PTC cars. The layout features a double-down, speedy flat turns, and a few pops of airtime. Itís a special ride to me as it was my 150th coaster. Other unique rides we tried were the classic carousel, the very wet Log Flume, and the very neat Von Roll sky ride where you sit in spheres that we referred to as hamster wheels. We passed on Blizzard River since it wasnít very hot but we did try the free media day ice cream courtesy of Dairy Queen. Riverside also has a good selection of flat rides, some of which we tried, as well as a nice looking water park which we didnít try.

July 2nd we spent the morning at the Yankee Candle factory and then headed to Whalom Park. The skies were a little cloudy and only a few people were in the park. The park is rather small and the rides looked and ran like they could use some maintenance. The Flyer Comet is the sole coaster in the park. It is a figure eight layout featuring a large tunnel called the Black Hole midway through the ride. The cars are three bench PTCs. The ride ops let us reride a few times for free which was nice. In addition to the coaster, Whalom has quite a few classic flat rides. We rode the tumble bug, ferris wheel, and the rock n roll. I could have flipped the rock n roll over but it was in such bad shape, I was afraid to do it. If you wish to visit Whalom, do it soon as I donít think the park is going to be around much longer especially after Riverside becomes a Six Flags.

With time on our hands, we decided to head to Canobie Lake Park which is less than an hour from Whalom. This was a good move as Canobie ended up being our favorite park of the trip with our favorite coaster of the trip. The morning rain kept people away making the visit even more enjoyable. Canobie is a beautiful traditional park set on a lake with a wonderful selection of rides. The Yankee Cannonball is an L-shaped out and back woodie with fabulous airtime and a great fall away turn around. The cars are three bench PTCs. It was our favorite coaster of the trip. The park also has the Canobie Corkscrew which is a standard Arrow corkscrew coaster(drop, turn, two corkscrews) and a Galaxi compact steelie which wasnít open. Canobie has a great dark ride called the Mine of Lost Souls which isnít very scary but it is first rate and a lot of fun. Other rides of note are the Log Flume and the Caterpillar with canvas cover. We enjoyed Canobie so much, we returned to spend the Fourth of July there and they put on a great fireworks display.

July 3rd we stopped at two small parks on our way to Funtown USA in Maine. Yorkís Wild Kingdom was listed on WOC as having a Flitzer but it is no longer there and has been replaced with a lame fun house. We also went in the Haunted House which turned out to be the lamest walk-through Iíd ever been in. The only other thing we rode there was the ferris wheel. They had a few other rides including a scrambler and bumper cars but we passed on them. The zoo was pretty good considering its location.

Next we stopped at Palace Playland in Old Orchard Beach which is a shore vacation area in Maine. They had a few rides including a Tri-Star and a Yo-Yo and one coaster, a Galaxi compact steelie that we rode once.

Finally, we reached our target destination, Funtown USA. Funtown is a small but pleasant traditional park. There is an extra charge water park next door which kept most people away from the rides during the day. The main attraction at the park is Excalibur, a wonderful wooden twister coaster. It is a lateral G loversí dream come true. Excalibur twists under and over itself at a fast pace with some moments of airtime thrown in for good measure. The park also boasts a Galaxi compact steel coaster running single cars, a fun Log Flume, and the best indoor scrambler with light show that Iíve come across.

July 4th on our way back to Canobie, we stopped at Pirates Fun Park in Salisbury, MA which is a run down seaside vacation spot. The place was rumored to have a Galaxi coaster but it is no longer there. The only other ride of interest there was a short but good haunted ride-through called Frankensteinís Castle.

July 5th we stopped at Lake Compounce on our way home. The park is rather small but very nice set against a mountain. The main coaster in the park is a double out & back woodie called the Wildcat. The Wildcat is a medium sized coaster with very little airtime but it does have some nice directional changes. The cars are three bench PTCs. The other coaster in the park is Zoomerang, a standard Vekoma boomerang. The parkís new ride is Ghost Hunt, a dark ride shoot Ďem up that is a lot of fun although the line moves very slowly. The Log Flume drops down the mountain and gets you very wet. The waterpark area looked pretty good and some of the slides dump out into the lake. The rapids ride and the sky ride are located away from the park proper and you can take a trolley to get there. The sky ride climbs up the side of the mountain really high. I couldnít help but think how cool it would be to have a hyper hurtle down the mountainside and dive bomb the lake. My only complaint with the park was the $4 parking charge to leave my car on the grass.

Chris.