Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Are there any steeplechases left?

Are there any steeplechases left?

swOHman

Posted:
4/12/00 at
9:47:54 PM

This is something I have been wondering for a while. They are included in Rollercoaster Tycoon as Single Rail Rollercoasters. I have seen pics of the on shows on TLC, but they were very old and they said they were very dangerous. Thanks.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian (PKI in 2 days!!!!)

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by Michael at 4/12/00 9:58:44 PM

> This is something I have been wondering for
> a while. They are included in Rollercoaster
> Tycoon as Single Rail Rollercoasters. I have
> seen pics of the on shows on TLC, but they
> were very old and they said they were very
> dangerous. Thanks. swOHman a.k.a. Brian
> (PKI in 2 days!!!!)

I believe the last one still operating at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in England. I think they could make a good comeback as a family ride.

Michael

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by Al W. at 4/12/00 10:13:28 PM

Last I heard, KBF still has a disassembled Arrow version they removed to put in the horrid Togo Windjammer. It started as a 4-track motorcycle race instead of horses, but was changed to "Soapbox Racers," presumably for "safety" reasons (being in an enclosed car instead of straddling a bike). T'would be nice if CF or someone brought it back! Al W.

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by Nagashima at 4/13/00 12:36:34 AM

> This is something I have been wondering for
> a while. They are included in Rollercoaster
> Tycoon as Single Rail Rollercoasters. I have
> seen pics of the on shows on TLC, but they
> were very old and they said they were very
> dangerous. Thanks. swOHman a.k.a. Brian
> (PKI in 2 days!!!!)

My father rode on the one in New York Coney Island (astro park?) to this day he remembers holding on for dear life!! I doubt they will be back..

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by Jersey Joe at 4/13/00 2:48:43 AM

My father rode on the one in New York Coney
> Island (astro park?) to this day he
> remembers holding on for dear life!! I doubt
> they will be back..

That would have been Steeplechase Park in Coney Island that your father rode the old steeplechase ride.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/13/00 3:38:55 AM

You know when you are 8 you do not think about diaster. I do remember that you had a strap to hang onto and nothing else. I was not scared to death but you never do at that age. I don t know that I would have the same feeling about it, oh hell yes I would. I would take my chances and siogn a diclaimer, but the insurance companies would never go for it.

Ed

Blackpool's Steeplechase by Cal at 4/13/00 5:48:06 AM

The Blackpool Steeplechase was built by Arrow and opened in 1977. It has three lanes, although they don't operate all of them except when the park is really busy. Each horse can take two riders who are secured by a seatbelt. Drops are gentle but you do feel exposed, especially when the horses lean around the corners. There are some nice leg-chopped effects as you go over the steeplechase fences, including a water jump.

Cal

Re: Are there any steeplechases left? by EBL at 4/13/00 1:20:55 PM

The one at Blackpool is the only one left that I know of, and it's only one of two modern day versions built by Arrow.

The other one, the Motorcycle Chase/Wacky Soap Box Racers, was at Knott's Berry Farm. While the Blackpool version has three tracks, the Knott's version had four. They ran motorcycles on it from its opening in 1976 till 1980, when the cycles were replaced by soapbox derby-themed cars. As at Blackpool, the only time that all four tracks ran was when it was busy, but they always ran at least two so there would be a race.

The Wacky Soap Box Racers closed in 1996 to make way for *cough* Windjammer, which, in case anyone hasn't yet heard, is no longer operating, though it's still there.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, the Soap Box Racer track and most cars were scrapped (they had a car on display at the Winter Coaster Solace), so it will never be rebuilt anywhere. Too bad--it made a nice, mild family ride and a small park would have benefited from installing it.

Eric