Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SoB after the 2nd helix and dive??

SoB after the 2nd helix and dive??

Beast at Night

Posted:
4/12/00 at
9:00:09 PM

Ok first of all....WOW!!! the pictures from saturday are amazing...can't wait to see it in person on Friday night. My son and I will make the journey to get our family season's passes that night and won't arrive til about 7:30...coming from mansfield. My question is...there were not many pictures I saw that showed the ride after the second helix and from bits and pieces I have heard and the layout, that final scenerio of hills and curves and banking will be quite intense, Am I right?? Why are there no pics of this and no one is talking...are you Acers sworn to secrecy!!! hahaha. Well I gotta get my ace membership in so I don't miss the cedar point outing on the 2nd and of course I need to get my money for URC day at PKI in to Eric. Hope to maybe see some of you Friday...we will again be late and will prob only be able to get a ride on the Beast and hopefully drop zone and of course stare at Sonnny for a while. Sincerely, Chris Trease

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by Ripples at 4/12/00 9:15:59 PM

> Ok first of all....WOW!!! the pictures from
> saturday are amazing...can't wait to see it
> in person on Friday night. My son and I will
> make the journey to get our family season's
> passes that night and won't arrive til about
> 7:30...coming from mansfield. My question
> is...there were not many pictures I saw that
> showed the ride after the second helix and
> from bits and pieces I have heard and the
> layout, that final scenerio of hills and
> curves and banking will be quite intense, Am
> I right?? Why are there no pics of this and
> no one is talking...are you Acers sworn to
> secrecy!!! hahaha. Well I gotta get my ace
> membership in so I don't miss the cedar
> point outing on the 2nd and of course I need
> to get my money for URC day at PKI in to
> Eric. Hope to maybe see some of you
> Friday...we will again be late and will prob
> only be able to get a ride on the Beast and
> hopefully drop zone and of course stare at
> Sonnny for a while. Sincerely, Chris Trease

Good point, so far not many pics have been shown of the last section of SOB. I guess I/we will have to wait until June URC thingy to see it. By the way you mentioned "Acer's" in your post, as far as I know not many here on this board are Ace members, well let me just say there maybe now but I know in the past there wasnt many. Sparky noway same with Rocketmover, Ripples and Tripman not on you life, Jersey Joe, who knows what he is today tomorrow or the next day. Chillforce he lives for that glory. I guess there are others but we tend to stray away from that title. Patripman

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by CoasterFanatic at 4/12/00 11:28:52 PM

> Ok first of all....WOW!!! the pictures from
> saturday are amazing...can't wait to see it
> in person on Friday night. My son and I will
> make the journey to get our family season's
> passes that night and won't arrive til about
> 7:30...coming from mansfield. My question
> is...there were not many pictures I saw that
> showed the ride after the second helix and
> from bits and pieces I have heard and the
> layout, that final scenerio of hills and
> curves and banking will be quite intense, Am
> I right?? Why are there no pics of this and
> no one is talking...are you Acers sworn to
> secrecy!!! hahaha. Well I gotta get my ace
> membership in so I don't miss the cedar
> point outing on the 2nd and of course I need
> to get my money for URC day at PKI in to
> Eric. Hope to maybe see some of you
> Friday...we will again be late and will prob
> only be able to get a ride on the Beast and
> hopefully drop zone and of course stare at
> Sonnny for a while. Sincerely, Chris Trease

I'll be there friday, I'll probably be the only person there wearing a Black STAMPIDA hat

Chuck, who thinks the dive out of the second helix, under the station and over the air hump into a dive into a U-turn and over another air hump will probably be as fun as the rest of the coaster!

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by Jersey Joe at 4/12/00 11:53:58 PM

> Jersey Joe, who knows what he is today tomorrow or the next
> day. Patripman

This coming from the man who posted as Ripples and signed the post Patripman. He says I'M confused? HA! I believe you can find some photos of the 2nd half of SOB at the link I've provided below.

Jersey Joe

SOB Construction Pix

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by acer at 4/13/00 12:08:08 AM

...are you Acers sworn to secrecy!!! hahaha.

Yes we are, lol! Actually, we didn't get to tour that section of Sonny. Maybe, it was because of the mud? Maybe they were working over there? Maybe PKI wants to keep that section a surprise? Who knows? Since we were guests of the park, we toured where the park rep took us and didn't ask for more.

Actually, I was so in awe of what we did see, I could only manage to take photos and stare!

acer (who is a member of ACE and proud of it)

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by Rocket Roger at 4/13/00 10:04:44 AM

Following the dive out of the 2nd helix is a large hill that looks to provide some good airtime if taken at a high rate of speed. On the other side of the hill is a drop into a severely banked 270 degree curve to the right that rises into another hill. Another way to think of that element is as a "half-helix". After that last hill is a nice steep looking drop, that has great airtime potential, followed by a rise into the very short brake run. The crest of that rise looks promising for a little pop of air as well. So, there you have it. SOB is essentially two-and-a-half insane looking helices, with a huge drop and a loop thrown in for good measure.

Rocket Roger

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by Rob Lec at 4/13/00 11:54:34 AM

I've been examining drawings of SOB's layout and trying to figure out where they will probably try to time the trains so they pass each other, just as on Papa Beast when more often than not they have a train dropping into the helix from the second lift just at the same time as the next train is taking the first drop, so the riders can see each other's train (also an incoming train on the final brake run just as another train starts up the lift).

On SOB I can envision a train dropping into the loop just as another is taking the first drop, as is shown in the quicktime animation. But I'm also wondering about a train coming out of this final 3/4 mini-helix passing over a train on the first 60' drop after leaving the station, where the tracks cross over each other right before the curve into the lift. I suspect they may have a surprise awaiting us there, as the animation skips the beginning and end of the ride.

With two brake runs and the lift as zone breaks they could probably pull both of these off with the three trains, but to be honest I can't figure out the timing right now (perhaps the result of too much head banging : )

Re: SoB after the 2nd helix and dive?? by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/13/00 12:45:26 PM

From what I have seen, heard and gathered, I believe while one train is moving into the station from the final brake run, another will be climbing the lift.

About the time that train on the lift makes the turn toward the drop, I expect the third train will be leaving the loop and entering the second helix.

Actually, the coolest effect (if it could be managed) would be having a train going through the loop just as another train leaves the station. When a train leaves the station, it proceeds through the lift structure and directly in front of it is the loop. It is the first element people will see once on-board. Since the loop will catch peoples eyes, the first drop out of the station will be a real suprise.

I cannot express how well layed out this coaster is. The simple fact that the most unique element on this coaster is the first thing you see when taking off is a sign of terrific visual design.

Wait until you see how close Top Gun is to Son of Beast! It is a new "element" to Top Gun. Big Bad Wolf's near misses cannot even compare to this.

Shaggy

Thank you...counting the days by Beast at Night at 4/13/00 1:22:23 PM

>
> I have been counting the days since I first saw construction last summer...especially at the last part of October. As months turned to weeks and then days...and now the wait...I am becoming quite anxious!!! I am driving my wife nuts!!! I have a good feeling though that the wait will be quite worth it and I am hopeful that in years to come this coaster continues its speed and intensity! After seeing what came of Mean Streak I feel the technology is in this coaster to keep it alive without being overbraked. I still love pappa Beast today and always look forward to that near brakeless run you get once in awhile...and I still think it kicks butt 20years later. Oh man I can't wait to see this coaster Friday Night!!!and of course can't wait to ride it on pass holder's day. Sincerely, Chris Trease

Re: Thank you...counting the days by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/13/00 3:01:48 PM

You missed a rare treat last Saturday...Beast was running nearly brakeless. The trims in the brake shed were on, but not nearly as heavy as usual. The descent into the final helix is usually slowed by the lenghty trims on the drop. On 4/8 those trims were not even raised. The helix was running fierce that day. It was a great ride! And hopefully it will continue.

Hey, I can dream can't I?

Shaggy

Re: Brakeless Beast by Rocket Roger at 4/13/00 3:25:12 PM

That was indeed a treat, Shaggy. The lateral slam going into the helix really took me by surprise. I didn't pull my arms down in time and I think I might have pummelled you a bit!

Rocket Roger

Re: Brakeless Beast by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/13/00 4:29:25 PM

No pummeling.

Although I did notice your arms up. Notice mine were not?

Shaggy