Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI Info (SOB)

PKI Info (SOB)

Jason

Posted:
4/12/00 at
6:15:14 PM

Interesting news about Son of Beast:

I called today to PKI about Friday. (Just to confirm they were open and to see what time they were processing passes) I asked about Son of Beast and she said they would get official word about its opening on Thursday. She stated it was possible it would open on Friday! I know this sounds far-fetched, but after thinking about some things she said it made sense. She said they didn't want a big hype about opening because if something did happen and they had to close it after say 3 trains, a large amount of people wouldn't be there complaining because they promised it would be open and then it broke down. This, she explained, eliminates a considerable portion of bad publicity for the park. I just thought I would share, even though I don't really think it is possible for it to open this soon.

She did confirm they are testing now.

Jason

Not going to happen because crew isn't trained.... by Iceman at 4/12/00 6:47:15 PM

As much as I wish it could open this Friday, as of right now the operating crew has not even been trained yet. Granted they could have Area Managers run the ride, but they to my knowledge have never done that except for certain Associates events. But I am heading up there tommorow for training on Drop Zone and I will let you know whats up. Happy Coastering!!!

Iceman

Re: PKI Info (SOB) by swOHman at 4/12/00 7:12:32 PM

> Interesting news about Son of Beast: I
> called today to PKI about Friday. (Just to
> confirm they were open and to see what time
> they were processing passes) I asked about
> Son of Beast and she said they would get
> official word about its opening on Thursday.
> She stated it was possible it would open on
> Friday! I know this sounds far-fetched, but
> after thinking about some things she said it
> made sense. She said they didn't want a big
> hype about opening because if something did
> happen and they had to close it after say 3
> trains, a large amount of people wouldn't be
> there complaining because they promised it
> would be open and then it broke down. This,
> she explained, eliminates a considerable
> portion of bad publicity for the park. I
> just thought I would share, even though I
> don't really think it is possible for it to
> open this soon. She did confirm they are
> testing now. Jason

Let me get this straight. The track was not even completed on Saturday, and with the testing and safety procedures they have to go through, there is no way it can be open on Friday. It would be nice if it was though, but it most likely won't(I'm about 99.9% sure it won't be).

swOHman a.k.a. Brian (PKI in 2 days)

Re:PKI SOB Info by Jason at 4/12/00 8:41:06 PM

Yea, I agree 100% with you guys. I was just passing along what I was told because I found it interesting.

Re:PKI SOB Info by Jason at 4/12/00 8:41:34 PM

Yea, I agree 100% with you guys. I was just passing along what I was told because I found it interesting.

Re: PKI Info (SOB) Not Testing! by CoasterFanatic at 4/12/00 11:42:27 PM

> Interesting news about Son of Beast: I
> called today to PKI about Friday. (Just to
> confirm they were open and to see what time
> they were processing passes) I asked about
> Son of Beast and she said they would get
> official word about its opening on Thursday.
> She stated it was possible it would open on
> Friday! I know this sounds far-fetched, but
> after thinking about some things she said it
> made sense. She said they didn't want a big
> hype about opening because if something did
> happen and they had to close it after say 3
> trains, a large amount of people wouldn't be
> there complaining because they promised it
> would be open and then it broke down. This,
> she explained, eliminates a considerable
> portion of bad publicity for the park. I
> just thought I would share, even though I
> don't really think it is possible for it to
> open this soon. She did confirm they are
> testing now. Jason

My source being my eyes says they are not testing the coaster now as they are still laying and bending track!

Also channel 9 stated that SoB would not be open for this weekend( www.cincinow.com ) and probably not next weekend either, but the park is pretty sure it can make the final weekend of april. Including the season pass nights prior.

So this means they start testing next week and have aproxamatly 5 days to get it approved!

I have no concern over weather the ride is safe, the test are just to determine any track flaws and unusual forces not anticipated, The ride will be inspected several times and has been so since construction started.

The test they may have implied may have been test of the electrical systems, air brakes, booster tires,Station controls and maybe even the lifhill chain, and other stuff they can gauge while the ride is being finished up!

Chuck who has 4 rolls of film and two cameras ready for friday.

Re: SOB info in the news ... by Rob Lec at 4/13/00 9:05:23 AM

> they are still laying and bending track! Also channel 9
> stated that SoB would not be open for this
> weekend( www.cincinow.com ) and probably not
> next weekend either

Fox 19 said last night that PKI is behind on laying track due to the rainy weather (it's April, isn't it?). Also said its opening has been delayed "again"; first scheduled to open last weejend (8th), then postponed to next weekend (15th) but now they think it will not open until the 22nd. They also mentioned the passholder preview in the 26th.

I guess the only "news" I hadn't heard before was about the 15th and certainly not any possibility of the 22nd. Of course you can't believe everything you hear on the news. Earlier in the week channel 5 stated that SOB is the tallest coaster in the world, and as we know it is the tallest *wooden* coaster.