Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A question about B&M...

A question about B&M...

Johnny Mnemonic

Posted:
4/12/00 at
3:41:01 PM

i'm just wondering why B&M standups get so much rougher as they age than their other types of coasters?

Re: A question about B&M... by gerber at 4/12/00 3:52:53 PM

> i'm just wondering why B&M standups get so
> much rougher as they age than their other
> types of coasters?

try standing in one of the two middle seats to ease roughness, but i have no idea why they seem to get rougher

Re: A question about B&M... by Jim Disney at 4/12/00 4:31:20 PM

> i'm just wondering why B&M standups get so
> much rougher as they age than their other
> types of coasters?

They get rougher? That's what I'd love to know. Last year when I went on Mantis, it wasn't too horrible. Riddler's Revenge is still pretty much the same as when I first rode it, just a little nudge when you pop up to the block brakes. I know that Iron Wolf is a little rough, but it's not too bad. Then again, we have to remember that was B&M's first coaster on their own. I still can't honestly think of a truly rough B&M other than Iron Wolf. Seriously, can you really even compare the other "rough" B&M's to... let's say Arrow's Shockwave, Drachen Fire or Steel Phantom? I doubt it. They may be rough by B&M standards, but they're still way smooth compared to anything anyone else is building. At least for me.

JD

The Southern California Coaster Club

Re: A question about B&M... by Superbatboy at 4/12/00 5:04:57 PM

The trains are a lot heavier than most other B&M coasters. RR is not that rough, but it's not as smooth as it used to be.

Re: A question about B&M... by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/12/00 5:49:06 PM

They get rougher? That's what I'd love to know.
> Last year when I went on Mantis, it wasn't
> too horrible. Riddler's Revenge is still
> pretty much the same as when I first rode
> it, just a little nudge when you pop up to
> the block brakes. I know that Iron Wolf is a
> little rough, but it's not too bad. Then
> again, we have to remember that was B&M's
> first coaster on their own. I still can't
> honestly think of a truly rough B&M other
> than Iron Wolf. Seriously, can you really
> even compare the other "rough"
> B&M's to... let's say Arrow's Shockwave,
> Drachen Fire or Steel Phantom? I doubt it.
> They may be rough by B&M standards, but
> they're still way smooth compared to
> anything anyone else is building. At least
> for me. JD

Well, a rough B&M is still smoother than most, But RR has gotten rougher in just 2 years. Vortex at PGA was rough from the beginning and now is almost unridable in certain spots.

Re: A question about B&M... by glu at 4/12/00 8:33:29 PM

> Vortex at PGA was rough from the
> beginning and now is almost unridable in
> certain spots.

What the... Last time I went to PGA (1 year ago), I thought Vortex was still relatively smooth compared to the other coasters in the park (Invertigo, Demon, *Grizzl*). I would NEVER venture to say that its unrideable at any spot of the ride. Of course, its not Top Gun smooth, but still, its not as bad as you make it out to be.

-glu

FYI - coasters getting rougher by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 4/12/00 11:34:51 PM

try standing in one of the two middle seats to
> ease roughness, but i have no idea why they
> seem to get rougher

According to what was explained to me recently by a maintenance man at SFMM, B&M coasters really shouldn't get rougher. I had asked why Arrow coasters often go to pot as far as deterioration of smoothness, and I was told that there is no way for the distance between the wheels to be adjusted, and therefore the trains cannot be made to hug the track precisely as when they were new. According to this person, coaster train types that can be adjusted are B&M and (good news for Goliath fans) Giovanola. I didn't ask about Intamin and Premier or others. I know this really doesn't answer the question at hand, but I thought it might shed some light on why many aging steel coasters in general are so afflicted.

Re: A question about B&M... by MrDan at 4/13/00 4:30:35 AM

> I still can't
> honestly think of a truly rough B&M other
> than Iron Wolf. Seriously, can you really
> even compare the other "rough"
> B&M's to... let's say Arrow's Shockwave,
> Drachen Fire or Steel Phantom? I doubt it.
> They may be rough by B&M standards, but
> they're still way smooth compared to
> anything anyone else is building. At least
> for me. JD

When did you last ride Iron Wolf? It was surprisingly horrid last year, so bad that there were days I swear Shockwave ran much smoother then it.

Hopefully, if the rumors about the new trains ring true, we'll have the good old beast back.

dan

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.