Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Any Coaster Lovers From South Carolina ???

Any Coaster Lovers From South Carolina ???

Thrill Seeker

Posted:
4/12/00 at
2:24:55 PM

Is it just me or does the state of South Carolina really need a real roller coaster?-I mean all the coasters are in Myrtle Beach which is 4 1/2 hours away from me.Next year the Pavilion will be getting MB's 2nd woodie,the Hurricane.Im in Greenville,and with it being a big city I think its time we see an amusement park surface in the upstate.The Greenville-Spartanburg Metropolitan Area has over half a million people and yet we still have seen no amusement parks.My idea is tear down the McAlister Square Mall(located in the Pleasantburg-Southeast area)and replace it with a decent sized park,and throw in a few coasters.Or either build a huge park in between G-S-P,that way both cities will grow rapidly and tourists will flock to the upstate.It would be nice to have an amusement park located between the major cities of Atlanta and Charlotte!And if not in the upstate,Columbia,our capital city(2 hours away) is the states largest and needs something to do down there,surely somewhere a smart park investor could find room to squeeze in a coaster or two.<><>A true coaster lover<><>

Re: Any Coaster Lovers From South Carolina ??? by Capler at 4/12/00 3:43:09 PM

>.The
> Greenville-Spartanburg Metropolitan Area has
> over half a million people and yet we still
> have seen no amusement parks.And if not
> in the upstate,Columbia,our capital city(2
> hours away) is the states largest and needs
> something to do down there,surely somewhere
> a smart park investor could find room to
> squeeze in a coaster or two.

That's funny because the people in Washington state feel the same as you. I have a sister in Seattle and guess what was the last park she visited? Carowinds.

Re: Any Coaster Lovers From South Carolina ??? by COASTA KING at 4/13/00 1:13:18 AM

> Is it just me or does the state of South
> Carolina really need a real roller
> coaster?-I mean all the coasters are in
> Myrtle Beach which is 4 1/2 hours away from
> me.Next year the Pavilion will be getting
> MB's 2nd woodie,the Hurricane.Im in
> Greenville,and with it being a big city I
> think its time we see an amusement park
> surface in the upstate.The
> Greenville-Spartanburg Metropolitan Area has
> over half a million people and yet we still
> have seen no amusement parks.My idea is tear
> down the McAlister Square Mall(located in
> the Pleasantburg-Southeast area)and replace
> it with a decent sized park,and throw in a
> few coasters.Or either build a huge park in
> between G-S-P,that way both cities will grow
> rapidly and tourists will flock to the
> upstate.It would be nice to have an
> amusement park located between the major
> cities of Atlanta and Charlotte!And if not
> in the upstate,Columbia,our capital city(2
> hours away) is the states largest and needs
> something to do down there,surely somewhere
> a smart park investor could find room to
> squeeze in a coaster or two. A true coaster
> lover

Yeah man what a killer idea!i cant agree with ya more,SC certainly needs more and better coasters!I like your idea,I must say!I think that a giant amusement park should be built directly between Greenville and Spartanburg,somewhere near the BMW plant and GSP Int'l Airport(since it is SC's largest Metropolitan area)Do you have any idea what kind of population boost it would bring to the area?I mean GSP already carries along the lines of over half million people!Especially if the park had state of the art roller coasters,now that would really bring the tourists away from the coast,where coasters currently reside.Another idea is Gaffney,a small town located 45min-1 hr from G'ville and minutes from Spartanburg.And also it is alot closer to Charlotte,NC,and has plenty of undeveloped land.

If the park were not gonna be placed between the 2 cities,then Greenville(being the largest city in the upstate)would be my # 1 choice.Its located between Charlotte and Atlanta,which is an awesome location.Greenville is also the states fastest growing city,and the largest county(nearly 325,000)I have many locations in Greenville that I suggest: 1.-South East-Pleasantburg Area(Mcalister Square Mall) 2.West Side-West Greenville Shopping Complex 3.Taylors-Greer(East Side)-Off Wade Hampton Blvd. 4.East Side-Off Woodruff Rd. 5.North Side-TR area(Metroplex)or I-26(towards Asheville,NC)& Off Poinsett Hwy 6.South Side-Donaldson Center Industrial Park-Moonville area or The Golden Strip(Mauldin,Simpsonville,Ftn.Inn)

Furthermore: 1.Laurens(a 45min-1hr drive towards Columbia) 2.Anderson-Lake Hartwell area 3.Greenville-Sp-Anderson-Between the 3 largest cities of the upstate,near I-85 4.Clinton or Newberry-(close to an hour or more away from Greenville) 5.Greenwood(a 45min-1hr drive from Greenville,to the South) 6.Columbia-Harbison Blvd-St Andrews area,Fairgrounds,West Cola.-Cayce area,somewhere closer to Santee & Sumpter or outside the city in Lexington 7.Florence(an hour from Myrtle Beach) 8.Charleston-North(near Frankies Fun Park),Citadel Mall-Savannah Hwy area,Between the city & Isle of Palms,Mt.Pleasant area(near Cooper and Ashley rivers bridges)West of The Ashley,or somewhere near Charleston Int'l Airport(off I-26) 9.Summerville-just minutes from Charleston!

Just think bout all the posibilities,some of the smaller towns are located near major cities,and would have the right amount of land required for a big park.hope I could help ya our bro -Later The COASTA KING

Re: Any Coaster Lovers From South Carolina ??? by SixFlagsFanatic at 4/14/00 8:17:48 AM

Yeah man what a killer idea!i cant agree with ya
> more,SC certainly needs more and better
> coasters!I like your idea,I must say!I think
> that a giant amusement park should be built
> directly between Greenville and
> Spartanburg,somewhere near the BMW plant and
> GSP Int'l Airport(since it is SC's largest
> Metropolitan area)Do you have any idea what
> kind of population boost it would bring to
> the area?I mean GSP already carries along
> the lines of over half million
> people!Especially if the park had state of
> the art roller coasters,now that would
> really bring the tourists away from the
> coast,where coasters currently
> reside.Another idea is Gaffney,a small town
> located 45min-1 hr from G'ville and minutes
> from Spartanburg.And also it is alot closer
> to Charlotte,NC,and has plenty of
> undeveloped land. If the park were not
> gonna be placed between the 2 cities,then
> Greenville(being the largest city in the
> upstate)would be my # 1 choice.Its located
> between Charlotte and Atlanta,which is an
> awesome location.Greenville is also the
> states fastest growing city,and the largest
> county(nearly 325,000)I have many locations
> in Greenville that I suggest: 1.-South
> East-Pleasantburg Area(Mcalister Square
> Mall) 2.West Side-West Greenville Shopping
> Complex 3.Taylors-Greer(East Side)-Off Wade
> Hampton Blvd. 4.East Side-Off Woodruff Rd.
> 5.North Side-TR area(Metroplex)or
> I-26(towards Asheville,NC)& Off Poinsett
> Hwy 6.South Side-Donaldson Center Industrial
> Park-Moonville area or The Golden
> Strip(Mauldin,Simpsonville,Ftn.Inn)
> Furthermore: 1.Laurens(a 45min-1hr drive
> towards Columbia) 2.Anderson-Lake Hartwell
> area 3.Greenville-Sp-Anderson-Between the 3
> largest cities of the upstate,near I-85
> 4.Clinton or Newberry-(close to an hour or
> more away from Greenville) 5.Greenwood(a
> 45min-1hr drive from Greenville,to the
> South) 6.Columbia-Harbison Blvd-St Andrews
> area,Fairgrounds,West Cola.-Cayce
> area,somewhere closer to Santee &
> Sumpter or outside the city in Lexington
> 7.Florence(an hour from Myrtle Beach)
> 8.Charleston-North(near Frankies Fun
> Park),Citadel Mall-Savannah Hwy area,Between
> the city & Isle of Palms,Mt.Pleasant
> area(near Cooper and Ashley rivers
> bridges)West of The Ashley,or somewhere near
> Charleston Int'l Airport(off I-26)
> 9.Summerville-just minutes from Charleston!
> Just think bout all the posibilities,some of
> the smaller towns are located near major
> cities,and would have the right amount of
> land required for a big park.hope I could
> help ya our bro -Later The COASTA KING

Yeah Coasta King,actaully I have a friend that works for the Greenville city development committee,and he overheard them talking of a future amusement park in the Greenville area within the next 3-5 years.A strong possibility is the old McAlister Square Mall grounds(that is if Greenville Technical College will sell the property to them.)But if ya think about it,its in a really good location,the Southeast side of town,not far from downtown or any major highways.On the other hand building such a park in between GSP would be very likely to happen,because of the lack of land space.And I've also heard that the rumored name is going to be Funland USA,it will feature 2 steel and 1 wooden rollercoaster.2 steel coasters will be B&M inverted or floorless,and an arrow,morgan,or giavonola hyper coaster!!!and CCI will provide the woodie.The latest rumor is that the hyper coaster will be as tall as 150 ft or higher!Wouldnt that be awesome to see a huge amusement park in the upstate of SC!Greenville has my all thumbs up!!!!and while were at it ,Premier-Six Flags,you should look into this-I'll keep ya posted on the latest news!

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.