Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Disneyland raises children's prices

Disneyland raises children's prices

Coaster 3:16

Posted:
4/12/00 at
12:32:20 PM

Here is a story found today regarding a recent price increase. With all of the talk of taking children to the park and what they are/are not able to ride, I thought it was interesting to note.

Relatedly, the internet's newest online amusement park commentary, "View From The Back", is expected to cover children at amusement parks in next week's issue. Expected topics include height restrictions and prices. Look for the new issue of View From The Back Monday morning. To read this week's edition (the first ever) go to: msnhomepages.talkcity.com/ResortRd/coaster316

Anyway, here is today's story from the Orange County Register:

Disneyland Raises Prices for 10-, 11-Year-Olds

By Bernard Wolfson, The Orange County Register, Calif. Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Apr. 12--ANAHEIM, Calif.--There's new magic in the stars at Disneyland: 10- and 11-year olds are transformed into adults as they enter the park.

Well, at least when it comes to ticket sales.

On Monday, Disneyland, which raised prices by $2 in January, cut two years off the age for full-price admission. The $41 adult price now applies to everyone 10 years and older. Before, the adult price started at 12 years of age.

Children ages 3 to 9 get in for $31. The old policy let kids up to age 11 in at that price.

"It's like everything else -- people are just out to make money," said Mike Ortiz of Tracy, who was visiting the park Tuesday with his wife, Renata, and two young daughters. "At the same time, everything is real expensive inside the park."

Disneyland spokesman Ray Gomez said the change wasn't meant to make more money.

"We believe our attractions are enjoyed by people 10 years and above, based on height requirements," he said. "So the change was appropriate."

At Knott's Berry Farm, those older than 12 pay the adult price of $38; kids 3 to 11 get in for $28. At Universal Studios, which has the same prices as Disneyland, adults are defined as 12 and older, and children are 3 to 11.

Susan Partridge, of San Dimas, who visited the park Tuesday with her husband and two children, complained that the change wasn't in the spirit of founder Walt Disney.

"It's a real sacrifice for a family to go there as it is," she said. "And now they have to pay an extra $10? It's ridiculous. This is supposed to be a kids' place." END

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

View From The Back

Re: Kid's admission: I'm spoiled by CF parks.... by CoastaPlaya at 4/12/00 12:44:02 PM

> Here is a story found today regarding a
> recent price increase. With all of the talk
> of taking children to the park and what they
> are/are not able to ride, I thought it was
> interesting to note. Relatedly, the
> internet's newest online amusement park
> commentary, "View From The Back",
> is expected to cover children at amusement
> parks in next week's issue. Expected topics
> include height restrictions and prices. Look
> for the new issue of View From The Back
> Monday morning. To read this week's edition
> (the first ever) go to:
> msnhomepages.talkcity.com/ResortRd/coaster316
> Anyway, here is today's story from the
> Orange County Register: Disneyland Raises
> Prices for 10-, 11-Year-Olds By Bernard
> Wolfson, The Orange County Register, Calif.
> Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News Apr.
> 12--ANAHEIM, Calif.--There's new magic in
> the stars at Disneyland: 10- and 11-year
> olds are transformed into adults as they
> enter the park. Well, at least when it
> comes to ticket sales. On Monday,
> Disneyland, which raised prices by $2 in
> January, cut two years off the age for
> full-price admission. The $41 adult price
> now applies to everyone 10 years and older.
> Before, the adult price started at 12 years
> of age. Children ages 3 to 9 get in for
> $31. The old policy let kids up to age 11 in
> at that price. "It's like everything
> else -- people are just out to make
> money," said Mike Ortiz of Tracy, who
> was visiting the park Tuesday with his wife,
> Renata, and two young daughters. "At
> the same time, everything is real expensive
> inside the park." Disneyland spokesman
> Ray Gomez said the change wasn't meant to
> make more money. "We believe our
> attractions are enjoyed by people 10 years
> and above, based on height
> requirements," he said. "So the
> change was appropriate." At Knott's
> Berry Farm, those older than 12 pay the
> adult price of $38; kids 3 to 11 get in for
> $28. At Universal Studios, which has the
> same prices as Disneyland, adults are
> defined as 12 and older, and children are 3
> to 11. Susan Partridge, of San Dimas, who
> visited the park Tuesday with her husband
> and two children, complained that the change
> wasn't in the spirit of founder Walt Disney.
> "It's a real sacrifice for a family to
> go there as it is," she said. "And
> now they have to pay an extra $10? It's
> ridiculous. This is supposed to be a kids'
> place." END - Coaster 3:16 hastd

...where my 3-year old is still *free* and I'll pay a few bucks more for her season pass NEXT year than I will for a single day this year at a Paramount or Six Flags park.

-CPlaya

PS - Comparisons are made to full listed prices. Your actual mileage may vary.

Ugh! (long) by Jim Disney at 4/12/00 1:01:50 PM

I heard this on Mark and Brian this morning. Horrible, horrible idea. Alot of families don't have endless resources and have to sacrifice to get into the park as it is. With the prices of food, drinks and souvies, it's very easy for a family to spend $350+ in a single day just to go to Disneyland. Now they're going to ask people to pay even more?? I can honestly say we might see a dip in attendance.

It seems like they're (Disney) trying to get more and more gold from their golden geese (theme parks) and pretty soon, maybe Mr. Eisner and Mr. Pressler will hold blood-letting sessions where they'll teach the upper management how to get blood from rocks!! Wow, just think, the heads of a company built on creativity (not on profits) are spending 90% of their time worrying about profits and keeping investors happy! This is so exciting to know that they're worried more about my stock prices (yes I own Disney stock) than they are worried about my happiness when I visit one of the theme parks and find some of my favorite rides in disrepair and looking like they should belong at SFMM (no offense). Personally, I couldn't care less about my immediate stock prices, I would rather the company take the money I invested and use it to better the brand by turning on the cash faucets back on at WDI and letting the amazing concepts such as Fire Mtn (a hybrid coaster) and Villian Mtn roll out the door and into the parks. Instead, they're raising admission prices at the parks and ruining the Disney name. I'll step down from my stool now. :)

JD

The Southern California Coaster Club