Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFStl Opinions Needed...

SFStl Opinions Needed...

PKI GUY

Posted:
4/11/00 at
9:02:26 PM

Ok, for Spring Break my family and I will be going to Missouri. On the way back, we are going to hit SFStl on opening day. Now, here's where you guys/gals come in.....What are the coaster rides like?(Roughness, Airtime, ETC)..What selection of coasters do they have?..Any one coaster in particular I should ride? You get the idea....Now for my most important question. Is the Boss expected to be ready to go by opening day?...Thanks in advance! :0)

Re: SFStl Opinions Needed... by sparky sparky Profile at 4/11/00 9:28:39 PM

I have mostly favorable feelings towards SFSTL. It's one MAJOR downfall has nothing to do with the park itself, but the access roads to the park in the morning. Last August, I sat in more than a mile of sit still traffic on I-44. I had anticipated on arriving at 9:30 AM, and didn't get my first ride until just before noon.

The park on a whole is very a nicely laid out "intimate" themer. I would go so far as to saying I like it moreso than Worlds of Fun for total park experience. Their operating philosophies have called for all of the park's coaster trains to be used all three times I visited last year (with the exception of one train Mr. Freeze op on a slow May Sunday).

As for coasters,

Batman The Ride at STL is a one of a kind special treat, as it is the same 'ol Batman five inversion B&M thriller but with the twist of being the only mirror image on the planet of this layout. Being so used to the original layout, my first ride completely had me off guard- my number two invert- just behind Fire Dragon, and just ahead of Montu.

Mr. Freeze is a mirror image of its "twin" at SFoT. Nice launch, but unneccesary roughness leading to Premier Rides headbanging. Front of train is much smoother than back. Arlington's wins the better theme award hands down.

Ninja is the park's sleeper hit IMHO. It's a Vekoma four looper that originated at the 1986 World Expo in Vancouver before being moved to SFSTL in 1989. Incidently, the park's 180 ft ferris wheel also came from Vancouver's Expo.

River King is typical for the early Arrow mine trains- rough and poorly engineered transitions, jerky "push/pull" train action, and a wooden structure. This particular mine train isn't quite as good as SFoT's, but better than the early mine trains at CP and SFoG IMHO.

Screamin' Eagle is tempermental big time. It can go from a rough boring uninteresting airtimeless jog through the woods to a seemingly out of control race with two or three pops of airtime, especially in row two or twelve. About six years ago, the park replaced the old four six seater trailered car trains with newer trains with six four seater cars with...ratcheting lap bars. This year they also gave the ride banking on some of its later turns and a computer controlled fin brake system. On a positive note, the ride has run trimless from day one, and has quite possibly the most beautiful location of any woodie to date.

As for the Boss, locals could fill you in better on its opening, but my understanding is opening day from IAAPA's CCI booth to recent posts here on URC.

The park got a BIG attendance boost with Hurricane Harbor last year, which hopefully will see the park receive more future capital projects like the Boss, as Time Warner all but forgot this park even existed.

-sparky

Re: SFStl Opinions Needed... by The Coaster Phreak at 4/11/00 9:33:54 PM

PKI Guy,

IMHO I love all the rides there... Well, all but Ninja... I had a bad experience when my restraint locked halfway down, I'd avoid it if it is more then 5 minute wait (if it even gets to that).

Mr. Freeze is great... Ignore anyone who says it has head banging... Well, it does, but it isn't that bad... Go for front row. It's tremendous!

The Screamin' Eagle, IMHO, is probably the best ride in the park, but Boss will probably shatter that title soon.

Batman is supberb! A classic Bolliger and Mabillard invert... MAGNIFIC!

River King Mine Train is one of the better Arrow Mine trains, from what I've heard. I enjoy this one alot... Especially the low to ground helix

As for flat rides, there aren't many, but the Highland Fling is probably the best flat ride there. We don't have many, but its good. We have a scrambler called SHAZAM! a spin ride called Tom's Twister, Joker Inc. which is a winging boat ride. We have one called Riverview Racer that isn't as good as it was, but is still a good swing ride. When I say not as good, I mean, it used to have an attachment that made it go higher, but they removed it because when they relocated it there were too many trees in the way.

The Hannabarrals- If they open, I remember em' to be fun

The Rush Street Flyer- Uhh... goto my website and look at the picture becuase i don't know how to describe this one

As for water rides:

The Log Flume- I love this one! Gets you semi-wet and is pretty fast

Tidal Wave- A simple shoot-the-chutes ride.. Really good one, I might add... I'm no expert, but this one soaks you everytime.. Well, you have a 117.778% chance of getting completely drenched if you stand in the middle of the bridge. Do any other shoot-the-chutes rides have a bridge in the path of the wave?

Thunder River- Some people have told me that this is simply the best rapids ride anywhere because it simulates white water the best and it throws you around all over the place.

Other rides- There are the antique cars (Moon Cars), Colossus (Ferris Wheel), a Train, Dragon's Wing (skycoaster.. 50 single, 25 double, 15 triple flight) and the Grand Ole Carousel

Other then that, I dunno what to tell you! Email me for more info or questions

Greg

If I missed anything, add it

My SFStl Page

Re: SFStl Opinions Needed... by Raze Fan at 4/12/00 2:22:08 PM

Well, I think Coaster Phreak said everything well. Except, I don't think you should skip Ninja. I mean, some people do not like it at all, but then there are others (Like me) who DO like it. It can be a little rough, but I know the roughest parts, so I can "Brace myself". The inversion after the first loop can be kinda brutal, and the part right before the helix near the end. But most of the time it has a VERY short wait, so I would suggest going on it anyways. You never can have too many coasters! :-) If you have ever seen a "Falling Star" type ride (e.i. Trail blazer @ SFGAm, Banshee @ HW, etc.), then THAT is what the Rush Street Flyer is. I happen to really like it. It can make you feel a little queasy if you are prone to getting sick on rides, but it's not that bad. The Highland Fling is just plain fun! It is also one that may make someone sick, but it usually just makes me dizzy. It is in a section of the park that isn't really "Popular", but with the Go-Karts last year and the BOSS this year, I'm sure it will get alot more popular!!! Joker, Inc. is a good swinging ship with some good theming (Well, a little theming). If you like the extra fee type rides, we have "Speed-O'-Drome" (go-karts), "Dragons Wing" (skycoaster), and the Rock wall climb. Hope this helps! I will be there on opening day, too! Not sure about the Boss opening or not, I guess we will just have to hope and pray that it is!

><> Raze Fan <><

Its worth the trip by bossstl at 4/12/00 9:56:07 PM

Sixflags St.louis is not the best of the premier parks but it is worth visting. As for the Boss it is real unclear if it will be open by April 21.

Re: SFStl Opinions Needed... by tomgreen17 at 4/13/00 8:39:39 PM

> Ok, for Spring Break my family and I will be
> going to Missouri. On the way back, we are
> going to hit SFStl on opening day. Now,
> here's where you guys/gals come in.....What
> are the coaster rides like?(Roughness,
> Airtime, ETC)..What selection of coasters do
> they have?..Any one coaster in particular I
> should ride? You get the idea....Now for my
> most important question. Is the Boss
> expected to be ready to go by opening
> day?...Thanks in advance! :0)

I live about an hour from SFStL and already got my season pass. As for rides, Batman is the best. It's a fun, smooth, high-g ride. Mr. Freeze is pretty intense, and fun. It's a bit of a headbanger though. A lot of people like Screamin' Eagle, but I find it boring. It's kind of rough, but it has a great view on the lift hill. Ninja is also sort of rough, but I still find it fun. It was my first looping coaster. River King Mine Train is your typical mine train coaster. As for flat rides, try the Rush Street Flyer and Highland Fling, those are the best. Hurricane Harbor's all right, but too crowded. Can't wait for the Boss to open.

correction on skycoaster price at SFSL by mchellin at 4/14/00 12:40:02 AM

> Dragon's Wing (skycoaster.. 50
> single, 25 double, 15 triple flight)

Two years ago, those were the correct prices (per person, 15 for each person in a triple, 25 for each person in a tandem ect.), however, last year, the park changed it so that it is fifty bucks, period. It doesn't matter if you have one, two or three flyers. It's fifty bucks a flight (not fifty a person, a flight). Occasionally there are "Flyer Specials" for early morning flights. You usually have to book your flight really early and fly it really early, usually before one pm. The "Flyer Specials" are not everyday, you'd just have to check AT the attraction. Just thought I'd clarify.

Re: Are you sure about prices? by The Coaster Phreak at 4/14/00 5:43:08 PM

Are you sure about that price? Last year when me and two other friends were going to go on it, a friends said it was 15 total, so we thought it was 5 each, and we got up there and the lady told us it was 15 a piece, and we didn't have enough, so we didn't. I am pretty sure its 15-3 25-2 50-1. Thats what it was last time I checked. Does anyone know the price on Ripcord at WoF, because I am going there soon and I want to know.

Greg

My SFStl Page

Re: Are you sure about prices? by Confused at 4/14/00 9:25:47 PM

> Are you sure about that price? Last year
> when me and two other friends were going to
> go on it, a friends said it was 15 total, so
> we thought it was 5 each, and we got up
> there and the lady told us it was 15 a
> piece, and we didn't have enough, so we
> didn't. I am pretty sure its 15-3 25-2 50-1.
> Thats what it was last time I checked. Does
> anyone know the price on Ripcord at WoF,
> because I am going there soon and I want to
> know. Greg

SFGAm's DareDevil Dive (skycoaster) prices were as follows 15-3, 20-2, 30-1. Why does SFSTl has so much higher prices(difference in hight)?

Confused

Yes, I am positive, here's why by mchellin at 4/17/00 11:59:12 AM

> Are you sure about that price? Last year
> when me and two other friends were going to
> go on it, a friends said it was 15 total, so
> we thought it was 5 each, and we got up
> there and the lady told us it was 15 a
> piece, and we didn't have enough, so we
> didn't. I am pretty sure its 15-3 25-2 50-1.
> Thats what it was last time I checked. Does
> anyone know the price on Ripcord at WoF,
> because I am going there soon and I want to
> know. Greg

Yes, I am sure. I am a supervisor-in-training in that area. Last year was the first year that we changed our prices. And they remain that way this year. It's fifty bucks a flight, period.

Re: Are you sure about prices? by mchellin at 4/17/00 12:03:18 PM

SFGAm's DareDevil Dive (skycoaster) prices were
> as follows 15-3, 20-2, 30-1. Why does SFSTl
> has so much higher prices(difference in
> hight)? Confused

Well, part of the reason is to discourage single flyers. While solo flights are fun, they take up almost as much time as a tandem or triple flight. Another reason is because it is less confusing ("So wait, it's $40? But if I go with two other people it's $45? That's more expensive"). Fifty bucks, no matter how many people fly. And if you're flying tandem or triple, the price isn't really that much more expensive (five bucks more each for double and only a buck fifty more per person for triple flight).

Re: Are you sure about prices? by mchellin at 4/17/00 12:08:40 PM

I am pretty sure its 15-3 25-2 50-1.
> Thats what it was last time I checked.

Just re-read this...do the math, sweety. Except that it's a little off for the triple flight, we do usually tell triple flights (while they're standing there trying to divide fifty by three) that it's a little over 15 bucks a piece. A double flight is also fifty dollars, which divided it 25 each.

Re: Are you sure about prices? by The Coaster Freak at 4/17/00 7:04:10 PM

But why is it so expensive? Premier is a multi-billiob dollar corporation!! Why would they need to make something like this so high? It's insane! They outta' give complementary videos of the peoples flight if they are going to have prices that high... I mean, GEEZ!!

Greg

Re: Are you sure about prices? by mchellin at 4/17/00 8:49:12 PM

> But why is it so expensive? Premier is a
> multi-billiob dollar corporation!! Why would
> they need to make something like this so
> high? It's insane! They outta' give
> complementary videos of the peoples flight
> if they are going to have prices that
> high... I mean, GEEZ!! Greg

But it isn't really that expensive...it just sounds it. It is only 1.50 more each person for a triple flight. I know it sounds expensive, but if you fly with two other people, you get the best deal. I'm not the one who made up the price, I just sell the tickets, suit people up, hook 'em up or videotape them. Sorry if you think it is too much...but it is an amusement park, regardless who owns it, stuff is always expensive. If there's a cheaper skycoaster nearby, go fly there, that's all I can suggest. Or fly a triple flight. $16.50 a person...that's just slightly over average for most parks for a triple flight.