Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SOB element question

SOB element question

Adam

Posted:
4/11/00 at
2:26:05 PM

I know that when SOB was first announced, PKI said that a tunnel would be built over some part of SOB. Then someone said that PKI had decided to not put any tunnels on SOB. My question is this: Do you see PKI building any tunnels on SOB in the future? Also, was the final tunnel on the helix of the Beast built when the ride was built, or was it added later? I don't think I have ever heard the answer to this.

Adam

Re: SOB element question by SOBecki at 4/11/00 2:49:37 PM

I believe the helix tunnel to the Beast was built after the ride opened, which may be the same case for SOB. I don't believe it is in the plans to have a tunnel, but then again you never know. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Re: SOB element question by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/11/00 2:50:23 PM

> I know that when SOB was first announced,
> PKI said that a tunnel would be built over
> some part of SOB.

Tim Fisher (Park GM) was rumored to have said that SOB will have at least one tunnel.

> Then someone said that PKI
> had decided to not put any tunnels on SOB.
> My question is this: Do you see PKI building
> any tunnels on SOB in the future?

If you count the track crossing through the lift hill, and undercrossing itself on both the first and second helix (they are essentially surrounded by structure) then yest it has tunnels. Other than those, no specific tunnel has been constructed.

> Also, was
> the final tunnel on the helix of the Beast
> built when the ride was built, or was it
> added later? I don't think I have ever heard
> the answer to this.

It was enclosed for the second season of operation. The first year the Beast opened, the supports for the tunnel were there and I believe a roof was added mid-season. However the opening schedule dictated that the tunnel not be enclosed until 1980. You can easily date a Beast picture from '79 if the shot includes the non-enclosed helix. The track in the final helix of Beast was also banked more for the second season.

Shaggy

Re: SOB element question by CoasterFanatic at 4/11/00 3:00:13 PM

> I know that when SOB was first announced,
> PKI said that a tunnel would be built over
> some part of SOB. Then someone said that PKI
> had decided to not put any tunnels on SOB.
> My question is this: Do you see PKI building
> any tunnels on SOB in the future? Also, was
> the final tunnel on the helix of the Beast
> built when the ride was built, or was it
> added later? I don't think I have ever heard
> the answer to this. Adam

Kings Island has not ruled out a tunnel on SoB but it was not in the original plans and Tim Fisher said one could be added in the future.

It dosn't really need one, tunnels are for visual and effects and Sob already has several crossovers and head chopers and the dive out of the second helices will be like a tunnel anyway, going under the station and lifthill.

Also the original Beast did not have the tunnel on the helix the first season early on, although it was in the original plans, they had to push just to get it running for park opening. the tunnel was worked on through the summer and also the two mid course tunnels were connected for year 3.

I was a first night rider of The Beast, Friday April 13th, 1979. It was cold rainy and miserable,and the wait was 3 1/2 hours for the one train operation, but when we stepped into the front seat of those original four bench cars, All was forgoten and The ride experience was incredible!

Also Kings Island gave us return tickets for anyday during the '79 season just because the weather was bad!

KI's marketing dept. didn't just get good, It's always been that way!

Take a look at some pics on my Beast page, most are postcard pics but it has two maps of the ride, the old beast logo and a postcard pic of the original Four bench train that was multi colored and had no highbacks and only pull down lap bars.

Chuck

Coaster Fanatics Forum

Re: SOB tunnel by Rocket Roger at 4/11/00 3:09:18 PM

Adam, I don't recall PKI announcing a tunnel on SOB. And after touring the construction site last Saturday, I can only think of one spot, IMO, where the coaster would benefit from a tunnel. That being on the final curving drop before the end of the ride (which is extremely banked, I might add).

The drop out of the second helix might work too. Although it is already very tunnel-like, in that it crosses underneath the structure of the helix, the drop out of the station and the rise into the break run.

Some may think that there should be a tunnel at the bottom of the first drop. But, I think the visuals are going to be more stunning without a tunnel. Flying past the loop, hitting 80+ mph, and then up that twisting rise of the second hill will be glorious.

Rocket Roger