Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > On Ride Photos...

On Ride Photos...

The Coaster Phreak

Posted:
4/10/00 at
5:31:54 PM

Hey,

Does anyone here think it is wrong or crazy to go for front row seats on any coaster and bring a camera on to take pictures? Even on steel coasters with loops. Not just wood coasters. Does anyone besdides me do this?

Greg

My SFStl Page

Re: On Ride Photos... by ACEMEMBER at 4/10/00 5:37:54 PM

> Hey, Does anyone here think it is wrong or
> crazy to go for front row seats on any
> coaster and bring a camera on to take
> pictures? Even on steel coasters with loops.
> Not just wood coasters. Does anyone besdides
> me do this? Greg

I do, I bring two digital cameras with me to the park..My Kodak DCS90 for Ultra high quality Digital Pics of the ride and my junky $300 Fuji Digital Camera for the on ride death shot's. I am in the process of getting a web page up to show my beautie's off. Lastly, my Kodak has a BURST setting so I can take pictures (up to 45 in a row) of a coaster moving or doing loops, helixes, etc. They come out awesome when I play them on my PC in my GIZMOS MOVIE PERFORMER. I will post my website when it goes up.

Re: On Ride Photos... by Kirk A. at 4/10/00 6:03:25 PM

> me do this? Greg

I've done it on Mr. Freeze, Batman, and Ninja, I have the most awesome one from Batman, going up the lift, the sun shining between the tracks towards the end of the day, e-mail me for some of them if any of you want, but DON'T STEAL! User Submitted Picture

AS long as you are not stupid about it.... by Alan Jacyszyn at 4/10/00 7:57:34 PM

For example, on a woodie, somebody almost lost an eye, and severly injured themselves on the Predator on SFDL. First of all, why the heck would you look through a viewfinder on such a rough coaster!? Leading to an injury of jabbing you in your eye...

I could understand if you had an LCD camera, with a digital display/digital camera, but not a normal camera.

Although it "is" WRONG, I highly enjoy looking and Point Of view shots, in fact, on May 6th,I hope to get TONS of shots "on ride" (dont tell on me... ;-) ) at SFDL with my new sweet digital camera.

So, as long as you are not stupid about it, and consider the risks, I guess its o.k.

Alan Jacyszyn

The Thrill Seekers Guide To SFDL: (not main page, working on new layout, may experience problems)

Re: On Ride Photos... by The Coaster Phreak at 4/10/00 9:09:20 PM

Well, I have a 35mm fixed focus Vivitar Spree camera that I dubbed "Coaster Cam 1". It has a little cord on it that I twist around my wrister so that if I let go, I have plenty of time to grab it again. When I get ready to take a picture I hold it near the bottom of my chin, shoot, and pull away.... I have never had any problems with it... To the person that said they have Mr. Freeze pics... HOW DID YOU GET IT ON THE RIDE? I have tried about 6 times to take it on and they catch me every time... What was your "stealthy" mose of getting it on? Can't wait for my scanner, because some of you will enjoy my on ride shot of Ninja's corkscrew.

Greg User Submitted Picture

My SFStl Page

Oh yeah.......... by ROXY ROLLER at 4/10/00 10:38:40 PM

Just make sure the ride op doesn't see you.

When you're cliimbing the lift hill, take your carefully concealed camera out of your baggy jeans pocket and click away!

I've done this on wooden coasters, steel loopers and hypers.

My best photos came from Superman: Ride of Steel @ Six Flags Darien Lake.

Check them out if you like at the link below.

Enjoy!

Roxy

Roxy's On-board S:ROS Pix!!

Keep camera in your baggy jeans pocket! (nm) by ROXY ROLLER at 4/10/00 10:42:28 PM

> Well, I have a 35mm fixed focus Vivitar
> Spree camera that I dubbed "Coaster Cam
> 1". It has a little cord on it that I
> twist around my wrister so that if I let go,
> I have plenty of time to grab it again. When
> I get ready to take a picture I hold it near
> the bottom of my chin, shoot, and pull
> away.... I have never had any problems with
> it... To the person that said they have Mr.
> Freeze pics... HOW DID YOU GET IT ON THE
> RIDE? I have tried about 6 times to take it
> on and they catch me every time... What was
> your "stealthy" mose of getting it
> on? Can't wait for my scanner, because some
> of you will enjoy my on ride shot of Ninja's
> corkscrew. Greg

Re: On Ride Photos... by Coaster 3:16 at 4/10/00 11:35:40 PM

I do, I bring two digital cameras with me to the
> park..My Kodak DCS90 for Ultra high quality
> Digital Pics of the ride and my junky $300
> Fuji Digital Camera for the on ride death
> shot's. I am in the process of getting a web
> page up to show my beautie's off. Lastly, my
> Kodak has a BURST setting so I can take
> pictures (up to 45 in a row) of a coaster
> moving or doing loops, helixes, etc. They
> come out awesome when I play them on my PC
> in my GIZMOS MOVIE PERFORMER. I will post my
> website when it goes up.

Hello ACEMEMBER,

I read your post and a question came up that I thought you could answer. Don't (most if not all) parks have rules, often unwritten, that cameras are not allowed on coasters? I'm pretty certain such a rule is written for safety reasons. My question for you is why is it ok for you to break many parks rules and practice this unsafe behavior but a father is wrong to express disappointment that his mature, capable daughter will not be allowed to ride a coaster that he thinks would be safe for her to ride? Just curious.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: On Ride Photos... by Myra The Alien at 4/11/00 1:47:50 AM

> I do, I bring two digital cameras with me to
> the Hello ACEMEMBER, I read your post and
> a question came up that I thought you could
> answer. Don't (most if not all) parks have
> rules, often unwritten, that cameras are not
> allowed on coasters? I'm pretty certain such
> a rule is written for safety reasons. My
> question for you is why is it ok for you to
> break many parks rules and practice this
> unsafe behavior but a father is wrong to
> express disappointment that his mature,
> capable daughter will not be allowed to ride
> a coaster that he thinks would be safe for
> her to ride? Just curious. - Coaster 3:16
> hastd

ACEMEMBER -- and to think I was going to put the Probe on ya, but 3:16 burned you at the stake. No probe needed. Good one, Mr. 3:16. You're OK in this Alien's book.

Myra "The Alien"

Re: On Ride Photos... by Mike at 4/11/00 8:28:53 AM

> me do this? Greg

Ive done it alot, I even tried pointing the camera, backwords to get the people on the train. Behind me. But it didnt work, as you aim with luck. But to the sides you get some great pics on the lift hill of the ride or park, that you cant get anywear else. I also took pics of friends beside me exspresions as the ride is going. Latley I use those camera's that are disposable, in case I loose them. But I do it espically if it like mt 3rd or 4th time on the ride that day.

Re: Heck I didnt even know I just had it in my poc by Mike at 4/11/00 8:36:52 AM

I didnt know how the rules go. But Ive always just had the camera in my pocket. And I never heard anything about it. I never got caught, not knowing you could lol.

Re: Oooh, what's that stench?? Hypocrisy?? by CoastaPlaya at 4/11/00 4:36:02 PM

> I do, I bring two digital cameras with me to
> the Hello ACEMEMBER, I read your post and
> a question came up that I thought you could
> answer. Don't (most if not all) parks have
> rules, often unwritten, that cameras are not
> allowed on coasters? I'm pretty certain such
> a rule is written for safety reasons. My
> question for you is why is it ok for you to
> break many parks rules and practice this
> unsafe behavior but a father is wrong to
> express disappointment that his mature,
> capable daughter will not be allowed to ride
> a coaster that he thinks would be safe for
> her to ride? Just curious. - Coaster 3:16
> hastd

Wouldn't that ice the cake....as the four-foot hyper jockeys wait for their riding mommies and daddies, they can get BEANED in the head by some self-centered idiot's flying camera!

Couldn't the same unprecedented forces that MF an 'adult' (hee hee) coaster cause a mishap with handheld items?

Safety before satisfaction--until it comes to MY wants. I think I've captured the moment.

-CPlaya

Man do I suck... by ACEFURIOUS at 4/11/00 5:22:55 PM

Wouldn't that ice the cake....as the four-foot
> hyper jockeys wait for their riding mommies
> and daddies, they can get BEANED in the head
> by some self-centered idiot's flying camera!
> Couldn't the same unprecedented forces that
> MF an 'adult' (hee hee) coaster cause a
> mishap with handheld items? Safety before
> satisfaction--until it comes to MY wants. I
> think I've captured the moment. -CPlaya

Yeah, I take pictures, I will not hide from that or I would not have posted. As for you, thanks for taking this conversation too far. Calling me an idiot draws the line. I have disagreed with you on posts but I have never taken a personal stab nor will I stoop to your level. The game is over and I refuse to entertain your posts anymore. I come to this site find out and comment on coaster info. As a fellow enthusiast (as much as I can find we have in common) I have a right to speak my opinion but I never make fun or make stabbing comments about other members, even ones I do not like such as yourself. If you noticed I honestly admit that I take an occasional snapshot, and I am sure you have too but would never admit so I guess I will never win. Hat's off to you CPLAYA, shown up on a forum, go whack off about it, get out the tension, and then realize how moronic the victory really is. For all I know you are a nine year old with too much time and energy just like I am a 38 year old with too much time and money....

Re: Keep camera in your baggy jeans pocket! (nm) by video camera at 4/11/00 7:38:05 PM

i have done this with my video camera.sometimes it works sometimes it doesn,t.what i do is i keep the camcorder inside the camera bag i wait for the train to leave the station & then after the train leaves the station & it is climbing up the chain lift that is when i take the camera out.the only problem is that sometimes at the station the ride operators don,t allow me to take the bag with me.when i can bring the bag with me sometimes when the ride is over i don,t have enough time to put the camera back inside the bag before the train reaches the station & then the ride operators realize that the only reason i hid the camera inside the bag was so that they won,t know that i was going to videotape on the ride.one of the times when this happened i was told that if i videotape on this ride again then my camera will be confiscated.the main problem is that the video camera is too large to fit inside my pocket.my 8mm camcorder weighs 2 lbs 6 oz with the tape & battery.