Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: WOF Opening Weekend: 4/8 & 4/9

TR: WOF Opening Weekend: 4/8 & 4/9

sparky sparky Profile

Posted:
4/10/00 at
3:44:15 PM

I'll start by briefly describing the wonderful time I had at Silver Dollar City on Fri 4/7. This park is a gem, easily has the best food of any park (actually of most restaurants), and easily deserved the applause award they won last year. P.S. Buzzsaw Falls was great, and from my meeting it appears as if a coaster is on its way either next year or 2002. Development dept is aiming for a product of CCI. From my understanding, ACE's Coaster Con will be at SFSTL next year, so they may add on SDC as well.

Now for Worlds of Fun. First off, WOFFA members I spotted none of. I did venture to Congo Clearing at 5 on Sat, but I didn't see anyone.

I will try to put both days into a brief review.

Saturday saw the larger crowds of the two days mainly due to the choir fest that was going on. As was reported below, Worlds of Confusion opens coasters only when the temp is 48 degrees or higher, and only runs water rides when the temp is below 48 degrees (kidding). Actually, until about 12:30 Sat, Boomerang and Wacky Worm were the only coasters running.

I arrived Sat around noon and leisurly made my way to Mamba, passing up the hour plus wait for Boomerang. Mamba had a crowd of at least 200 waiting for the ride to open, and when it finally did, I waited about an hour to ride due to one train operation (a second train would be added about two hours later). Mamba- combine its out section and helix with Steel Force's camelbacks, and you have perhaps a perfect steel coaster. Due to the topography, Mamba's camelbacks are far shorter than SF's, and due to its wickedly designed double up at the ride's end, WOF does trim the train on the block brake a bit. All in all, I'm still split between Mamba and Steel Force.

Timber Wolf on Saturday was like Christmas in April without any gifts- huh? Well, one train operation made the line creep, but once over the crest of the hill we flew through a wide open notorious trim brake. The rides Timber Wolf gave Saturday night were among the best I have ever had on it- airtime, laterals, speed- perfect.

Orient Express operated one train on Sat, and then was down all day Sunday. Cedar Fair had an inspection/engineering team analyzing the ride all day Sunday- why not Monday, who knows. I got two rides on Sat-one late afternoon with a 30 min wait, and last ride of the night- the back seat still has some vertical shuffle exiting the loops and in the middle of the boomerang. Still a top notch ride IMO for an Arrow looper.

Boomerang was...well....a Boomerang. I rode once Sat night, and twice on Sun when it was a walk on. That's right- a brand new ride a walk on. It did have an hour wait Sat morning.

Outside of the coasters, I rode Fury of the Nile for the first time- a real surprise!! Easily one of my top five rapid rides- very much like PKD's White Water Canyon in terms of unpredictability and spin motion. In other words, it's more like Roulette than Dorney's which makes you wonder why you didn't just jump in the lake instead of waiting an hour.

Park notes:

Plunge is coming out by the end of the season- a replacement? Let the rumors begin. Can I start with a mid sized Georgia Scorcheresque B&M stand up? Doubt it- more like a Wild Mouse to join Camp Snoopy if ANYTHING at all.

Zulu (Huss Enterprise) was in pieces because the park first got the wrong replacement parts from Huss, and then the second shipment went under the sea as the barge sunk!- no joke. It should be running by early May.

Viking Voyager looked great in new paint- a lame flume, but still a classic, and one of the park's last remaining original attractions.

Sunday saw a park with maybe 3000 people in the whole park, temps in the upper 70s, and of course, one train op on all coasters (Orient down all day). Had a great day with Coaster Nut and hubby, Tim Baldwin, Jeff S., and Craig with his son Matt (last names I forgot...brain fart).

All in all MUCH more time than I needed to do the park, but nice to take in the park in a leisurly fashion.

P.S.- Detonator along with the Big Shot are still the best space shots on the planet. They use a different system than more recent installations (no pumping sound after launch)- they offer a nice pop of air at the top.

Now, let's get those temps above 48, heh?

-sparky

how lame is it compared to La Ronde flume? by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 4/10/00 3:54:59 PM

La Ronde flume is boring!

Re: TR: WOF Opening Weekend: 4/8 & 4/9 by Dustijn Hollon at 4/10/00 5:08:01 PM

Sorry about not getting to meet up Sparky. I had little D with me so I took him on as many ride as I could. Read my trip report on down. :)

As for the WoFFA members, I have no idea where they hid. I met up with them earlier, but then I went off with some friends, and when I tried to meet up again with them they weren't there...

Hmmm

Dustijn User Submitted Picture

Orient? by Brenton at 4/10/00 5:08:59 PM

I got two rides on Sat-one late
> afternoon with a 30 min wait, and last ride
> of the night- the back seat still has some
> vertical shuffle exiting the loops and in
> the middle of the boomerang.

Two questions:

First- Did you ride in the back seat, or the one right before the back (front of the car)? Because the very back seat was closed down, about 30-45 minutes after it opened. I know because I was the last one to get to ride back seat.

You were on the very last ride of the night Sat.? If so, then I was on it too. Where where you sitting, maybe I saw you?

Re: Orient? by sparky sparky Profile at 4/10/00 10:53:54 PM

> I got two rides on Sat-one late Two
> questions: First- Did you ride in the back
> seat, or the one right before the back
> (front of the car)? Because the very back
> seat was closed down, about 30-45 minutes
> after it opened. I know because I was the
> last one to get to ride back seat. You were
> on the very last ride of the night Sat.? If
> so, then I was on it too. Where where you
> sitting, maybe I saw you?

There were three people waiting for the first two rows, and I was waiting for the second to last row. Anyone who could find an empty seat was allowed to stay on (very un cedar fairesque). So, I was the guy in the tan IOA sweatshirt and jeans. Glad I booked over to Orient from Timber Wolf instead of going to Mamba to close Sat, as Sun had the ride down all day.

-sparky

Re: Orient? by Brenton at 4/10/00 11:05:25 PM

There were three people waiting for the first
> two rows, and I was waiting for the second
> to last row. Anyone who could find an empty
> seat was allowed to stay on (very un cedar
> fairesque). So, I was the guy in the tan IOA
> sweatshirt and jeans. Glad I booked over to
> Orient from Timber Wolf instead of going to
> Mamba to close Sat, as Sun had the ride down
> all day. -sparky

While we were there- we got 3 consecutive rides. At first I was about 3 rows from the end, but then moved up to about 7th, for the very last ride. I was with a belgium kid, a blonde girl, and I had a yellow nautica shirt on. By this time, I was tired after being from home since 8 that morning, so I don't really remember ntoicing too much. It took a lot just to recall what I was wearing, let alone others. But I probably did see you. Weird.