Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > is GA Cyclone an exact replica of CI Cyclone?

is GA Cyclone an exact replica of CI Cyclone?

craig pintium

Posted:
4/10/00 at
11:15:24 AM

Six Flags Over Georgia is my home park, and the Georgia Cyclone is the only Cyclone replicate I've ridden. Some people who've visited other Six Flags parks tell me that there're other clones that are truer to the original Coney Island design. I'll probably be going to New York in May, and was hoping that somebody on this message board could give me there opinions on wether or not they think the original Cyclone is better than the Georgia Cyclone, and if it's worth a trip to Coney Island just to ride it. I've heard some enthusiasts say that there were other clones in Illonois and Texas that were better than the Georgia version. I find that hard to believe since I think this is a great ride, but than again, I've only been on 22 roller coasters. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My $ .02 worth by Jeff King at 4/10/00 2:08:14 PM

I have ridden all of the North American clones to the CI Cyclone, so FWIW, here's my opinion:

I personally have had some seriously *scary* rides on the GA Cyclone, and it sits at # 3 on my top ten woodie list. It is a remarkable ride. I really, really, really like the original, but the 5 or so spins that I had on it a couple of years ago weren't as out of control as I would have liked. I do, however realize that I hit in when it wasn't performing at it's best. I could tell after each ride that it was loosening up and getting better. Unfortunately, we had to hit the 'ole highway and couldn't stay for night rides. Next best version I think is the Viper at SFGAm. It was a true surprise, especially considering the major changes in design that had been made. Following on the clone list would be the TX Cyclone. Back in '85 when I first rode it, it was better that ANY of them, but as you probably know, it is now just a tame version of it's former wicked self. Bottom of the list is the SFMM Psyclone which is for the most part awful.

In order of preference:

1. Georgia Cyclone 2. Coney Cyclone 3. Viper 4. TX Cyclone 5. Psyclone

ALL models are mirror images to the original, with the exception of Psyclone.

If you have the opportunity, GO to Coney and judge for yourself! It is a fabulous ride, and very different in feel to any of the clones. I truely wish to experience it in it's full fury, and I'd lay money on it being # 1 instead of it being # 2.

Jeff

Re: My $ .02 worth by Bill Teffen at 4/10/00 5:37:52 PM

> I have ridden all of the North American
> clones to the CI Cyclone, so FWIW, here's my
> opinion: I personally have had some
> seriously *scary* rides on the GA Cyclone,
> and it sits at # 3 on my top ten woodie
> list. It is a remarkable ride. I really,
> really, really like the original, but the 5
> or so spins that I had on it a couple of
> years ago weren't as out of control as I
> would have liked. I do, however realize that
> I hit in when it wasn't performing at it's
> best. I could tell after each ride that it
> was loosening up and getting better.
> Unfortunately, we had to hit the 'ole
> highway and couldn't stay for night rides.
> Next best version I think is the Viper at
> SFGAm. It was a true surprise, especially
> considering the major changes in design that
> had been made. Following on the clone list
> would be the TX Cyclone. Back in '85 when I
> first rode it, it was better that ANY of
> them, but as you probably know, it is now
> just a tame version of it's former wicked
> self. Bottom of the list is the SFMM
> Psyclone which is for the most part awful.
> In order of preference: 1. Georgia Cyclone
> 2. Coney Cyclone 3. Viper 4. TX Cyclone 5.
> Psyclone ALL models are mirror images to
> the original, with the exception of
> Psyclone. If you have the opportunity, GO
> to Coney and judge for yourself! It is a
> fabulous ride, and very different in feel to
> any of the clones. I truely wish to
> experience it in it's full fury, and I'd lay
> money on it being # 1 instead of it being #
> 2. Jeff

I don't understand why you and other people blast the Texas Cyclone with the silly comments that AstroWorld "tamed" it. I first went on it in 1983 and have been on it many times since 1985, and they did very little to take away from the intensity of it. In fact, I think that the Texas Cyclone improves with every year that I ride it. It's just as intense now as it was sixteen years ago. I'd say that it is the second best Cyclone replica. The Georgia Cyclone is a marvelous ride, but the Texas version beats out all other replicas (besides GA of course) that I've been on. The only annoyance are the headrests on the Morgan cars, but I've gotten used to them. Texas Cyclone is 10 times the ride that the Rattler or any other over- sized woodie.

What enthusiasts think, doesn't matter by bjal at 4/10/00 7:33:32 PM

Let's all face some facts. When it comes to an enthusiast and his opinion on roller coasters, the parks do not make desicions based on those opinions. It's the opinions of the regular crowds who attend the park on a daily basis. Even though it is nice to have a ride that's acclaimed from miles away, which can build the reputation of a park, basically overnight, The reason that AstroWorld toned down the Texas Cyclone, and the reason Fiesta Texas toned down the Rattler, was because those regular crowds are not as enthusiastic about going to a theme park and having a good time by having themselves beat up on a roller coaster, the way some enthusiasts do. Not everybody has that same urging for brutality and masochism. Even though coasters like the Texas Cyclone, Rattler, Colossus, Grizzly (PGA), and other coasters aren't on any top 10 lists and are not being talked about by enthusiasts the way that they used to doesn't mean much of anything when they're still attracting large lines of regular customers. I'm a coaster enthusiast myself, and yes, sometimes I like a Little roughness in wooden coasters, but if I'm not ecstatic about a ride that I remember having been more exciting, I'm not going to start crying that the park should change it back, because it won't do any good! I just accept the fact that people didn't enjoy it like I did, and the park did not want to tear it down, for which I'd be very greatful. I think it'd be better just to make a reprofile instead of tearing it down. Ask yourself this question. If you were running a theme park and you had a roller coaster that was liked on one side by a handful of macho enthusiasts, and disliked on the other side by people who visit the park regularly and bring the biggest draw to your income, what do you do? Do you leave the coaster the way it is so that the enthusiasts can come over every few months and ride it, and get low ridership most of the time? Or do you make modifications and get people flocking to the entrance and creating a long line, while some dissapointed enthusiast complains several hundred miles away? I do understand that most parks are trying harder and harder to please enthusiasts while keeping things sane enough for the non-enthusiasts who ride a coaster. After all, tourism is a big factor in theme park profits, but let's not get all angry at other enthusiasts for disliking a particular ride for whatever reasons, because in the long run, it won't matter what they say.

I hear what you are saying but........ by JAL at 4/11/00 10:10:59 AM

You have a good point, but it seems like the gap between the RCE and the GP isn't that big. Lets take Ghostrider for example. Its considered to be one of the more intense coasters out there. Well it seems like a good majority of the people get of it saying stuff like "This was just awsome" or "I love this ride" or "How long is the line, I want to go back on it". These are people that don't ride coasters that often, yet they love these intense rides. Not only that, but you have to look at the ridership on these lowly ranked coasters. Colossus @ SFMM has poor ridership because everytime I go on it, its a walk on, even on busy days. Then look at the ridership on the more highly ranked coasters such as Goliath, Ghostrider, Riddlers Revenge ect. These coasters have long lines.

I think the reason certain coasters get tamed is because of injurys, lawsuits, or maintanence purposes.

Jim

Yes, but..... by bjal at 4/11/00 7:10:50 PM

You are forgetting that Ghostrider and other recent wooden coasters were designed with the help of technology that did not exist back in the days when Colossus was built. If Ghostrider had been constructed in 1978, it would probably have already gone through three reprofiles, and the track would be littered with trim brakes. Yes, I have noticed that frequent park patrons seem to be a lot more tolerant with these new rides, then the older ones, and if it stays that way, coasters like The Wildcat, Roar, Ghostrider, The Legend, The Boss, Lightning Racer, and Son Of Beast, will not have to suffer through the process of being tamed. And I'm not saying that the coasters that have had some of their venom removed are really that bad. I still enjoy Colossus, even without that double dip. The trim brakes haven't deteriorated The Beast's speed, that much. The Texas Cyclone still gives a fast and enjoyable ride, albeit those awful headrests. It is probably the second best Cyclone copy. The Rattler's first drop still packs a wallop, as does the American Eagle's. And I think that Mean Streak, Hercules, and Raging Wolf Bobs are all fun, if not perect coasters.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.