Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: BGW (Sunday 4/9/00)

TR: BGW (Sunday 4/9/00)

KMAN KMAN Profile

Posted:
4/10/00 at
1:16:56 AM

Woke up this morning in DC with the power out and a fine layer of SNOW on top of the car. Got started late and got to BGW at 11:30.

The weather was sunny and not a cloud in the sky with winds dying down by 4pm and turning into a beautiful day! Temps 50-55 degrees.

As always, the park looks impeccably well groomed. The BIG bonus of the day was the lack of people and at times the virtually nonexsistant lines on Alpengheist and LNM. I found the ride crews to be slow at times (breaking in for the new year?), but had a fantastic day!

ALPENGHEIST-Nearly all of the day Alpengheist had a 30 minute wait for the front, a 2-3 train wait for the back and a 0-5 minute wait for rows 2-7. I rode the front once and worked the back 3 rows the rest of the way. The mid-course break was slowing the trains a lot each time I rode, but Alpengheist was still running well IMO. Still like the back seat on this one. Rode throughout the day inccluding a nice 5 rides from 5-5:50pm.

BBW -- Again, other than the front car this had a 5-15 minute wait for most of the day. Crews were a little slow getting trains dispatched at times. BBW is running EXTREMELY well this year. The side wheels were only touching in the helixes and stayed off the track on all straight parts. The opening helixes seemed very smooth indeed. Any winter work done on the trains and/or the track? The last drop on BBW never gets old. Big smiles and laughs on this one as always.

LNM -- The station was literally EMPTY and two of the times I rode LNM I was one of 4 people on the entire ride. Still, even with no one waiting I was not awarded a re-ride even after polite, but firm pleading. Love that first drop, the history of the coaster, and it's physical beauty. But, really, I like this coaster less each time I ride it. I still rate it good, but IMO only worth a few rides.

AC -- 2 trains running all day and the longest lines. 30-45 minutes for the front and 10-20 minutes for the rest. FINALLY - I have discovered the wonders of the single riders line! Even though I was with a friend, we only had to sit apart from each other two times out of the 10 that we used the singles line. Twice we sat side by side on the front row and once we sat side by side on the back row. Using the singles line we were able to ride AC 10 times from 6:15-7:10!! I rode AC from every row today and have these opinions:

The back is still best, but the front is a real gem. The wind is intense and watching the track on the third hill is awesome. My real surprise was the treat in Row 2 where I caught BIG airtime on virtually ALL of the upslopes and stayed out of my seat all the way over the top of the hills. I finished the day with 4 re-rides on AC to close out the park. AWESOME!!

Still funny to see people riding the water rides in cold weather! Crazy I tell ya! Had a quick bite to eat at the pizza shack near AC. Horrible pizza, horrible strawberries and watermelon, but my friends fries were decent. The Clydesdales looked beautiful as always, but other than that I was either walking to a coaster or riding one, so I didn't see much else. Heartbreaking to see DF just sitting idly by when it could still be providing thrills! The polka show in the Festhaus was lame and the performers looked uninspired. As always, the saddest thing at BGW is AB spending alot of money for an authentic German beer hall and then offering cheaply made, horrible tasting beers that makes a sacriledge of the building. I'm know AB can do better for the Festhaus than the piss they make currently for it. AB's Amber "Bock" would make any German contemplate shoving a bratwurst or two in random places of AB executives.

Total Ride Counts: AC(13 rides) Alpengheist(11 rides) BBW(5 rides) LNM(4 rides) Wilde Maus(1 ride).

Overall, a great day at a superbly manicured and clean park with one good verteran and three bonifide winners as far as coasters go IMO. Great stuff! --K

Re: TR: BGW (Sunday 4/9/00) by miguel at 4/11/00 2:02:47 PM

> Woke up this morning in DC with the power
> out and a fine layer of SNOW on top of the
> car. Got started late and got to BGW at
> 11:30. The weather was sunny and not a
> cloud in the sky with winds dying down by
> 4pm and turning into a beautiful day! Temps
> 50-55 degrees. As always, the park looks
> impeccably well groomed. The BIG bonus of
> the day was the lack of people and at times
> the virtually nonexsistant lines on
> Alpengheist and LNM. I found the ride crews
> to be slow at times (breaking in for the new
> year?), but had a fantastic day!
> ALPENGHEIST-Nearly all of the day
> Alpengheist had a 30 minute wait for the
> front, a 2-3 train wait for the back and a
> 0-5 minute wait for rows 2-7. I rode the
> front once and worked the back 3 rows the
> rest of the way. The mid-course break was
> slowing the trains a lot each time I rode,
> but Alpengheist was still running well IMO.
> Still like the back seat on this one. Rode
> throughout the day inccluding a nice 5 rides
> from 5-5:50pm. BBW -- Again, other than the
> front car this had a 5-15 minute wait for
> most of the day. Crews were a little slow
> getting trains dispatched at times. BBW is
> running EXTREMELY well this year. The side
> wheels were only touching in the helixes and
> stayed off the track on all straight parts.
> The opening helixes seemed very smooth
> indeed. Any winter work done on the trains
> and/or the track? The last drop on BBW never
> gets old. Big smiles and laughs on this one
> as always. LNM -- The station was literally
> EMPTY and two of the times I rode LNM I was
> one of 4 people on the entire ride. Still,
> even with no one waiting I was not awarded a
> re-ride even after polite, but firm
> pleading. Love that first drop, the history
> of the coaster, and it's physical beauty.
> But, really, I like this coaster less each
> time I ride it. I still rate it good, but
> IMO only worth a few rides. AC -- 2 trains
> running all day and the longest lines. 30-45
> minutes for the front and 10-20 minutes for
> the rest. FINALLY - I have discovered the
> wonders of the single riders line! Even
> though I was with a friend, we only had to
> sit apart from each other two times out of
> the 10 that we used the singles line. Twice
> we sat side by side on the front row and
> once we sat side by side on the back row.
> Using the singles line we were able to ride
> AC 10 times from 6:15-7:10!! I rode AC from
> every row today and have these opinions:
> The back is still best, but the front is a
> real gem. The wind is intense and watching
> the track on the third hill is awesome. My
> real surprise was the treat in Row 2 where I
> caught BIG airtime on virtually ALL of the
> upslopes and stayed out of my seat all the
> way over the top of the hills. I finished
> the day with 4 re-rides on AC to close out
> the park. AWESOME!! Still funny to see
> people riding the water rides in cold
> weather! Crazy I tell ya! Had a quick bite
> to eat at the pizza shack near AC. Horrible
> pizza, horrible strawberries and watermelon,
> but my friends fries were decent. The
> Clydesdales looked beautiful as always, but
> other than that I was either walking to a
> coaster or riding one, so I didn't see much
> else. Heartbreaking to see DF just sitting
> idly by when it could still be providing
> thrills! The polka show in the Festhaus was
> lame and the performers looked uninspired.
> As always, the saddest thing at BGW is AB
> spending alot of money for an authentic
> German beer hall and then offering cheaply
> made, horrible tasting beers that makes a
> sacriledge of the building. I'm know AB can
> do better for the Festhaus than the piss
> they make currently for it. AB's Amber
> "Bock" would make any German
> contemplate shoving a bratwurst or two in
> random places of AB executives. Total Ride
> Counts: AC(13 rides) Alpengheist(11 rides)
> BBW(5 rides) LNM(4 rides) Wilde Maus(1
> ride). Overall, a great day at a superbly
> manicured and clean park with one good
> verteran and three bonifide winners as far
> as coasters go IMO. Great stuff! --K The best food at BGW is at THE SQUIRES GALLEY in BANBURY CROSS by the BIG BEN CLOCK.They have chicken fajita sandwiches,u.s.d.a hamburgers,pizza,fries,salads,fresh seasonal fruit,old country deserts.Every time I bring a visitor we always clean are plates there and no where else.Some places there do have bad food.Besides this one.Dont eat the pizza.Everything else is a go.