Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Earthquakes and rides

Earthquakes and rides

O-High-O

Posted:
4/9/00 at
10:00:40 PM

Has there ever been a time when an earthquake has crippled a coaster or any other ride. I'm sure none were destroyed, but severely damaged maybe. I don't know. Has there?

Re: Earthquakes and rides by Al W. at 4/9/00 10:50:59 PM

Legend/rumor has it that Psyclone @ SFMM was damaged during the Northridge quake and that's the reason it's so lame now. I have my doubts. I think Time-Warner (owners at the time), bought what what was just a badly designed & badly maintained coaster (my opinion!). I'm a bit cynical about this "rumor" since none of the other SFMM coasters seem to have suffered any apparent damage during this particular quake. Al W.

Re: Earthquakes and rides by Cal at 4/10/00 6:07:53 AM

> Legend/rumor has it that Psyclone @ SFMM was
> damaged during the Northridge quake and
> that's the reason it's so lame now. I have
> my doubts. I think Time-Warner (owners at
> the time), bought what what was just a badly
> designed & badly maintained coaster (my
> opinion!). I'm a bit cynical about this
> "rumor" since none of the other
> SFMM coasters seem to have suffered any
> apparent damage during this particular
> quake. Al W.

I heard that too. I was told the reason it's that reddish colour was to disguise the fact that two different colours of wood were used - the original and the wood used to rebuild the damaged parts. As you say I don't know if it's true, but it truly is like riding a pneumatic drill!

Cal

Re: Earthquakes and rides by Ride_Op at 4/10/00 1:31:06 PM

I never heard one about Psyclone being damaged in that quake. The different colors of wood are easily explained by the park constantly re-tracking and repairing the coaster. One coaster that was actually damaged in that quake was Ninja. I don't know if they're still there, but around the bases of most of the supports there was a sloppy stripe of differently colored paint, possibly meant to conceal something.....

I heard that too. I was told the reason it's
> that reddish colour was to disguise the fact
> that two different colours of wood were used
> - the original and the wood used to rebuild
> the damaged parts. As you say I don't know
> if it's true, but it truly is like riding a
> pneumatic drill! Cal

Re: Earthquakes and rides by KAZ at 4/10/00 2:01:51 PM

> Has there ever been a time when an
> earthquake has crippled a coaster or any
> other ride. I'm sure none were destroyed,
> but severely damaged maybe. I don't know.
> Has there?

All I can tell you is what happened at SCBB from the 1989 Loma Prieta quake. The beach bandstand collapsed, and the old plunge building suffered moderate damage. The Giant Dipper was undamaged. I never heard of any damage to the coasters at PGA.

Re: Earthquakes and rides by DR PEPPER at 4/11/00 4:50:04 AM

> I never heard one about Psyclone being
> damaged in that quake. The different colors
> of wood are easily explained by the park
> constantly re-tracking and repairing the
> coaster. One coaster that was actually
> damaged in that quake was Ninja. I don't
> know if they're still there, but around the
> bases of most of the supports there was a
> sloppy stripe of differently colored paint,
> possibly meant to conceal something..... I
> heard that too. I was told the reason it's
>I've heard of Disneyland temporarily closing rides because of a 'quake;I've also heard that the skyride was taken down because it "was unproven to be safe" in case of a 'quake.