Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Theming Mishaps...

Theming Mishaps...

Eric P.

Posted:
4/9/00 at
6:18:29 PM

Ok... I'm talking here about real attempts at theming (not the regular deck of morgan hypers..., etc.) that in one way or another really don't go with the area of the park or the color, etc. of the actual coaster/ride---- here's an example... the Poltergiest (at SFFT), in my opinion, is a theming mishap... really, the old shack with bad paint and old wooden stairs, etc... is0 cool. I love the ghost theming, even down to the family potraits on the wall and stuff... BUT, the problem comes into effect with the color and shinyness of the actual coaster... you've got an old, dirty creme colored station and a purple car/yellow track combination for the coaster... anyone agree with me that they should give Poltergiest a new paint job to fit the ghost theme????

Also, can anyone think of other coasters/rides like this???

maybe I just can't forget disneyworld... Eric P.

Re: Theming Mishaps... by ACEMEMBER at 4/9/00 6:34:06 PM

> Ok... I'm talking here about real attempts
> at theming (not the regular deck of morgan
> hypers..., etc.) that in one way or another
> really don't go with the area of the park or
> the color, etc. of the actual
> coaster/ride---- here's an example... the
> Poltergiest (at SFFT), in my opinion, is a
> theming mishap... really, the old shack with
> bad paint and old wooden stairs, etc... is0
> cool. I love the ghost theming, even down to
> the family potraits on the wall and stuff...
> BUT, the problem comes into effect with the
> color and shinyness of the actual coaster...
> you've got an old, dirty creme colored
> station and a purple car/yellow track
> combination for the coaster... anyone agree
> with me that they should give Poltergiest a
> new paint job to fit the ghost theme????
> Also, can anyone think of other
> coasters/rides like this??? maybe I just
> can't forget disneyworld... Eric P.

MEDUSA! Six Flags. They put the coaster in Frontier Adventures to divert crowds and spread out the park more evenly. Unfortunately the name MEDUSA never did fit in the right category. They say it is the tale of Medusa being in the mine shafts of the west and miners used to fear her.....A greek mythology theme would have done soo much better in my opinion. Also, the track is like neon yellow with purple supports. That is as far as western colors as I can imagine :) But who cares, I was on it 5X yesterday and could keep going back, in my opinion Medusa is the best steel on the east coast right now.

Re: Theming Mishaps... by Ride Ridder at 4/9/00 10:01:15 PM

Mind Eraser at SFA. This coaster is in Coyote Creek, the western section of the park. Everything around has western theming. Then it the red and green Mind Eraser with the neon green and purple sign. This coaster isn't bad, just a little out of place.

Re: Theming Mishaps... by MrDan at 4/10/00 3:31:53 AM

-- The BIGGEST one --

Dino Island 3D simulator at SFGAm. You have the old Space Shuttle America building with the huge spaceship on the outside. The inside was partially rethemed to try to make some sense out of the huge rocket, so now you are going to be riding in an "All terrian space shuttle". It is SO bad it is laughable, which is too bad because the ride is one of the best simulators I've been on.

-- Dis-Honorable mention --

Disastor Transport at CP. What a Disastor. The theming has all been vandalized and removed and the ride's building looks like it should be condemned. On top of that, the entire ride's theming is basically a bunch of fog. It had so much potential and Cedar Point completely ruined it. Depressing, really.

dan