Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Staff very unfriendly

Six Flags Staff very unfriendly

ACEMEMBER

Posted:
4/8/00 at
11:36:04 PM

Is it just me or do the employees at six flags have a bad attitude. I have been to enough other parks to feel justified in saying this. It just seems that they are not as courteous or friendly to guests. This is my fifth season pass year at Six Flags, I live within 30 minutes of the park and I really love the rides. I have found that they are not energetic about the rides (other parks are like Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, etc.) One could say to me "then don't come back" or "don't get season passes any more" but like most people here my addiction to coasters goes above my tolerance for bad ride operators. I just want to hear from other fanatics, please be honest.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by Darren Mullins at 4/9/00 12:15:57 AM

> Is it just me or do the employees at six
> flags have a bad attitude. I have been to
> enough other parks to feel justified in
> saying this. It just seems that they are not
> as courteous or friendly to guests. This is
> my fifth season pass year at Six Flags, I
> live within 30 minutes of the park and I
> really love the rides. I have found that
> they are not energetic about the rides
> (other parks are like Cedar Point, Busch
> Gardens, etc.) One could say to me
> "then don't come back" or
> "don't get season passes any more"
> but like most people here my addiction to
> coasters goes above my tolerance for bad
> ride operators. I just want to hear from
> other fanatics, please be honest.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom has some of the worst employees in the theme park industry. Darren Mullins

Ohio Area Theme Park News And Rumors

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by Pantera Psycho at 4/9/00 12:29:25 AM

It completely depends on the park you visit. Just curious as to what Six Flags park you live near, because that makes a HUGE difference. Parks with worse employees that I've noticed are Six Flags- Magic Mountain, Kentucky Kingdom, and Six Flags America. Of course two of those parks had poor employees before they were Six Flags parks, the other being a SF park for it's existance. Yet, not all employees from any of these parks are bad, just in general.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/9/00 12:38:00 AM

How did you go from Bad attitide to ride capacity and link that? That is novel. You know, today was the day i knew less ops than ever before. Yelled at a BTR op for crushing me with the harness and let him have it and he still was polite. But I am not finished there either.

Many are new hires and learning the ropes. I cut them slack today though as it was opening day but have made it known that I was not pleased with that crush to the stomach. BTR and Skull Mountain were horrible in capacity today and it was not acceptable. Lets see what happens in the future.

Now if you want to talk attitude, tell me a specific case and I can maybe help.

ED

Park Employees Attitudes by mr acer at 4/9/00 2:05:05 AM

I have found that the attitude I have also contributes to the park that I interact with. When I smile and talk to them by name, they usually return the courtesy. I think more of us enthusiasts demand too much of teenagers, especially when we have not worked in their shoes. While I say this in general, I have experienced problems and I usually take the time to file both good and bad reports at Guest Services.

mr acer

Re: Park Employees Attitudes by MrDan at 4/9/00 3:09:34 AM

> I have found that the attitude I have also
> contributes to the park that I interact
> with. When I smile and talk to them by name,
> they usually return the courtesy.

I definately agree with you at this point. I am usually very happy with a parks employee's as long as they don't have to do anything that's really annoying...

> I think
> more of us enthusiasts demand too much of
> teenagers, especially when we have not
> worked in their shoes.

I, being a teenager and having a job much like that of an amusement park, would have to agree. Remember that a lot of people go to one amusement park every other year, and when people are dropping $160+ dollars for a day they expect that everything will be perfect. When things don't live up to their expectations, they take it out on people around them.

As enthusiasts, we should be able to realize that this is a fact of amusement park life, and we should be understanding and accepting of employees that are a little more blunt. Conversly, we should take proper steps when we feel we have been treated harshly and unfairly.

> While I say this in
> general, I have experienced problems and I
> usually take the time to file both good and
> bad reports at Guest Services

I have always been impressed by the guest relations at Six Flags Great America. They tend to be very nice and every one that I have dealt with has had a good sense of humor.

I had another conversation with an employee while I was waiting for Batman during a rain delay (was one of three people in the entire station). She came out and told us anything and everything that we wanted to know about B:TR like how they inspect the ride in the mornings, the morning expectations, etc. We even learned where the police car in their set up came from (very interesting bit of trivia - anyone else know?)

On the flip side, I've had ride-ops on Viper jam the lap bar so hard into my hips that I probably should've complained, but it has happened very rarely and just on Viper, so I'm not too worried about it.

Anywho, in my experiance attitude is _usually_ more of a problem in the guests then it is in the ride-ops. When that attitude is adjusted, the parks will be much friendlier places.

dan

Which Six Flags park are you talking about??? by Aaron at 4/9/00 3:17:12 AM

I have visited a Six Flags park (SFMW) and a Paramount park (PGA) all in the same weekend so I was able to compare the employee's behaviors real well. My experience with the employees at SFMW have been very positive. I went to the park having everyone from the dippin dots stand to the games area greet me with enthusiasm. The ones from PGA didn't really seem to care. The ride ops at SFMW were a bit friendlier as well, though stricter. SFMW was also more organized such as the season pass processing, it only took me a few minutes and I was ready to go inside the park. Well those are just some of my positive experiences from the employees at one of the SF parks, I've been to SFMM recently and employees there were ok. It all depends on who you encounter during what time I guess.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by ACEMEMBER at 4/9/00 9:34:44 AM

Ok, this is totally my fault. I meant to say Six Flags Great Adventure. Now I am talking over a five year span here and I am only 25 so I can relate to the teenagers. Please do not come down on me, I feel that I have a valid point in some respects. If you read my original comment I did say that other parks are much nicer to you, I just noticed that Six Flags Great Adventure has gotten progressively worse over the years. Yes! there are some great Ops who really like their job and I am not a picky person or someone who demands near to perfect service when I go to a theme park. Like "Chillforce" said, or experienced, I just found the Ops and even the concession people very indifferent to me or my fiance. To be more detailed, three events stick out the best.

1. Went to season pass processing near Medusa, one person was downright rude to my fiance because she handed him the wrong slip, then when he got cute with me I reminded him that his behavior really was not neccesary and that for opening day he had a real negative attitude.

2. Went to get a waffle cone using a season pass coupon for my fiance. When my fiance asked for an extra spoon the employee rolled her eyes and gave out a huff, then reached for the extra spoon. IT WAS 1:00pm, don't tell me she worked a long day and was tired, it is her job to work the stand and they pay her partially to be cordial. I told her that if it was such an ordeal then to leave a container outside the booth with spoons. Come on, that was uncalled for.

3. Lastly, going on Rolling Thunder, the ride was understaffed with only two Ops, I felt bad for them. One obviously worked the controls while the other poor guy ran around like a maniac. When we sat in the car, the op did not check our lapbar! I was in the front seat and called over to the Op working the controls and he checked my lapbar. LEGALLY If I was to ride that ride and get hurt, they have to be able to say that they checked the lapbar, I was not mad, but more concerned for the safety and told customer services that they are understaffed and what happened. Come on guys, I love coasters, been all over the country on coasters, but we need to stick to the fundamentals like responsibility and safety. I did not blame the OPs, I blame management for short staffing the ride and I made that very clear to Customer Services.

I hope that clarifies my original comments,

P.S. Does anyone remember the Easter Riots and Great Adventure? I was there...

Opening day or not, the park needs to be ready to service the public.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by NJ Man at 4/9/00 9:50:40 AM

Just wait until I'm working at SFGAdv next season. I have a way of turning people from pessimist to optimist. I'm really good at brightening lives. I guess it's a gift when it's needed most in the world right now.

SF Staff unfriendly/opening day jitters by DarkRideDan at 4/9/00 10:26:55 AM

Amen brother! I will be applying for a position soon. I may happen to be as jittery and scared on my first day as some of these guys were. It is theatre and opening night is more nerve wracking than the closing. The better prepared for life we are, the better we do when we are tested...and some people are never ready.

P.S.- The highest paid position should be ride ops!!!

> Just wait until I'm working at SFGAdv next
> season. I have a way of turning people from
> pessimist to optimist. I'm really good at
> brightening lives. I guess it's a gift when
> it's needed most in the world right now.

I am trying not to give a TR! by DarkRideDan at 4/9/00 10:45:33 AM

Rolling Thunder-big neglected only wooden rollercoaster at the park (possibly neglected so people will not miss it once it is gone) has two ride ops.

Jolly Roger-small circular ride, mostly appealing to the smaller children at the thrill park had five ops

Possibly just for training, (and better now, than with summer crowds!)

The park was overstaffed!!!! LOL.. park may have used it's early season for distributing it's staff in this odd way

possible saw 20 sweepers/sweeperetts (no trash anyway) and 15 annoying camera people (it's not the camera people's fault :-) plenty of walky-talky people (making sure opening day went smoothly)and plenty of blue shirts walking about (i know we don't have a utilidor, maybe shift changes??) and would rather have half the rides open, since it was the first time for heavy operation in 5 months (work out any bugs one ride at a time)

but if i am epmloyeed their by next week, give me a paint brush anyday!

i am tempted to see how the park operates in the snow ;-)

> Ok, this is totally my fault. I meant to say
> Six Flags Great Adventure. Now I am talking
> over a five year span here and I am only 25
> so I can relate to the teenagers. Please do
> not come down on me, I feel that I have a
> valid point in some respects. If you read my
> original comment I did say that other parks
> are much nicer to you, I just noticed that
> Six Flags Great Adventure has gotten
> progressively worse over the years. Yes!
> there are some great Ops who really like
> their job and I am not a picky person or
> someone who demands near to perfect service
> when I go to a theme park. Like
> "Chillforce" said, or experienced,
> I just found the Ops and even the concession
> people very indifferent to me or my fiance.
> To be more detailed, three events stick out
> the best. 1. Went to season pass processing
> near Medusa, one person was downright rude
> to my fiance because she handed him the
> wrong slip, then when he got cute with me I
> reminded him that his behavior really was
> not neccesary and that for opening day he
> had a real negative attitude. 2. Went to
> get a waffle cone using a season pass coupon
> for my fiance. When my fiance asked for an
> extra spoon the employee rolled her eyes and
> gave out a huff, then reached for the extra
> spoon. IT WAS 1:00pm, don't tell me she
> worked a long day and was tired, it is her
> job to work the stand and they pay her
> partially to be cordial. I told her that if
> it was such an ordeal then to leave a
> container outside the booth with spoons.
> Come on, that was uncalled for. 3. Lastly,
> going on Rolling Thunder, the ride was
> understaffed with only two Ops, I felt bad
> for them. One obviously worked the controls
> while the other poor guy ran around like a
> maniac. When we sat in the car, the op did
> not check our lapbar! I was in the front
> seat and called over to the Op working the
> controls and he checked my lapbar. LEGALLY
> If I was to ride that ride and get hurt,
> they have to be able to say that they
> checked the lapbar, I was not mad, but more
> concerned for the safety and told customer
> services that they are understaffed and what
> happened. Come on guys, I love coasters,
> been all over the country on coasters, but
> we need to stick to the fundamentals like
> responsibility and safety. I did not blame
> the OPs, I blame management for short
> staffing the ride and I made that very clear
> to Customer Services. I hope that clarifies
> my original comments, P.S. Does anyone
> remember the Easter Riots and Great
> Adventure? I was there... Opening day or
> not, the park needs to be ready to service
> the public.

Re: I am trying not to give a TR! by greatApe at 4/9/00 12:43:51 PM

> Rolling Thunder-big neglected only wooden
> rollercoaster at the park (possibly
> neglected so people will not miss it once it
> is gone) has two ride ops. Jolly
> Roger-small circular ride, mostly appealing
> to the smaller children at the thrill park
> had five ops Possibly just for training,
> (and better now, than with summer crowds!)
> The park was overstaffed!!!! LOL.. park may
> have used it's early season for distributing
> it's staff in this odd way possible saw 20
> sweepers/sweeperetts (no trash anyway) and
> 15 annoying camera people (it's not the
> camera people's fault :-) plenty of
> walky-talky people (making sure opening day
> went smoothly)and plenty of blue shirts
> walking about (i know we don't have a
> utilidor, maybe shift changes??) and would
> rather have half the rides open, since it
> was the first time for heavy operation in 5
> months (work out any bugs one ride at a
> time) but if i am epmloyeed their by next
> week, give me a paint brush anyday! i am
> tempted to see how the park operates in the
> snow ;-)

Well the world may never know because the park is closed because of the weather...weak. Yesterday the ride ops didnt seem that rude. They just didnt seem comfortable yet. I got one question why dont they have solo rider lines or something like that. I stood in line for the coasters alone watching trains go with empty seats the whole time. There was an open seat in the front row just when I was boarding so I went to sit in it the ride-op told me nope go back to your row. This was on medusa and i had done it last year many times. What do you guys do when you go to the park alone.

Re: Single rider lines by Rob Lec at 4/9/00 1:56:20 PM

> I stood in line for the coasters alone watching trains
> go with empty seats the whole time. There was an open seat
> in the front row just when I was boarding so I went to sit in it the
> ride-op told me nope go back to your row.

What a shame. I hate to see that, yet it happens all the time. At some parks the ride ops try to fill up each train with single riders. That only happens if management makes it a policy, otherwise the ops couldn't care less (it's one less hassle for them to deal with).

Single rider lines made a tremendous difference when I was at IOA last month. Most rides were less than a ten minute wait. What really irks me at most parks is when you're trying to count the number of people ahead of you in line (so that your entire group/family can ride together) only to find that each of the people ahead of you intends to ride alone, and they refuse to pair up. They act like you're a jerk for asking them to take one of the empty seats.

Just a little something to my defense by matt at 4/9/00 3:24:30 PM

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Many employees are working there just to work. I dont agree with that, but i cant help that. I on the other hand go there to help make Premier parks, and Six Flags Great adventure the best it can be!! I stood there out side my ride, and i was greeting guests, and answering their questions. While attending Houdini, i made sure i talked to everyone, and asked them how thier day was!! I know you arent singling out people, but just know their are a few employees out there that do care about the park, and that want you to have the greatest time possible. In regard to your over staffing, yes there were a lot of employees working, but the rides that were closed, had some work to be done to them! There were more rides up in the beginning of the day, then at the end!

I think it all depends on.... by Superbatboy at 4/9/00 4:46:44 PM

I think it all depends on the customer's attitude. If your a negative person, or have negative feelings toward a certain park, then of course you're going to find fault in the employees. Of course there are some employees who could give a sh*t about their job. And I know Premier Parks doesn't pay their employees lavish salaries so that could be a factor also. But as for me, I've only had good experiences with park employees. But KBF and CP have the friendliest employees for some odd reason.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by JAL at 4/9/00 5:52:32 PM

Well I don't know about the other SF parks, but I have no problems with the staff at SFMM. They do a fine job IMO. They are much quicker then the Staff at KBF. Of course some of the Staff at KBF act as though they are very unhappy, which could have something to do with that.

Jim

Re: It is all based on hiring process by Raging Bull Fan at 4/10/00 1:18:55 PM

Well Speaking about my home park(SFGad) I have seen a serious problem with the people they hire. Actually it started going downhill since WB purchased the SF brand. They just hire the WRONG people. Also the pay scale is irrelevant. Went to IOA a couple of months ago and they don't make much more than SF and they don't act like morans. Though I had really cool conversations with some of the employees and they outright told me Universal is cheap. Again it a very small percentage of the employees at SFGad that are jerks with parkgoers. Though I have never had a problem with one...Guess I must be intimidating to them.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by WildBill at 4/11/00 5:41:35 PM

Let me make this clear ! PREMIER PARKS DOES NOT CARE !! There is no emphasis on guest sevice, unlike the previous management.

Re: Six Flags Staff very unfriendly by Confused at 4/11/00 6:59:24 PM

Let me make this clear ! PREMIER PARKS DOES NOT
> CARE !! There is no emphasis on guest
> sevice, unlike the previous management.

Unfortunatly I wanted to stay out of this line of posts, but your post has made me make a comment. If you were a owner of a park, and you had bad comments comming from guests and that word spread throughout the community, would you be happy? I hope you wouldn't. I think this is based on some perceptions of some employees. One common perception is people asking soo many stupid questions that they are not supposed to answer. Also people acting moronic and not following the rules that are set for people's saftey. When you deal with x amount of disgrunteled guests it gets annoying when that same guest decides to try and ask the same question to the same person five different times (I saw this happen and the employee wasn't too happy after that).

I belive that it is not all the owners fault, they attempt to make service better for all. The one thing that most of the parks that aren't open year round is that most of those employees are seasonal, and they are mostly younger people that don't have much training in how to handle guests. I have a feeling that Premire tries to teach some people how to deal with guests and what to do, but when the guest becomes inconsiderate to the employee, the employee becomes very mad.

I hope I have explained to you why it is not nessisarily Premires fault for poor guest services and why they do care about this issue. Bad reputation hurts in the buisness world.