Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI Dry Run/SOB tour TR

PKI Dry Run/SOB tour TR

Shaggy Shaggy Profile

Posted:
4/8/00 at
10:01:18 PM

Well, where do I begin?

I am so glad I have the ability to spend much of my spare time with the things I love. I am so appreciative of the people that make that a possibility. Paramount's Kings Island has many special people working for it who love the park more than I can even fathom. But enough mush...on with the good stuff.

The weather? Bad. Cold. Overcast. Snowy. Rainy. Windy.

The park? Alive once again. As spotless as I have ever seen it.

The rides? Mostly closed.

The day? Superb!

About 99% of the rides were not functioning due to weather. It was the first time I have ever ridden Beast in snow. But what a ride it was. Virtually no brakes and old faithful really showed that it is going to give that young wippersnapper across the park a run for it's money.

PKI offered numerous construction tours, which I and Rocket Roger were able to take part in the 1:30 tour hosted by probably the most enthusiastic marketing rep ever, Jeffrey Seibert. This coaster...Well I cannot even describe it. What can I say? Forget all that you have heard or seen about it. No words or pictures can really do it justice. It is an absolute monster. There were several ACE members in attendance who had not been to PKI before and were completely blown away. And that was just looking at it. PKI should be very proud.

PKI also offered a behind the scenes tour. ACERS were able to see many parts of PKI not often seen by public. The most interesting? The graveyard where old rides go to die. Current inhabitants? The climbing structure from Nick Splat City and the Kings Mill Log Flume Boats. Yep you heard right. Flume is no more. Not even on the park map. The newer KMLF boats were sent to Carowinds for their flume.

OLFOF was running. Complete with new padding and tweaking to make the ride more enjoyable. You will notice a difference this year. I did not ride, since my construction tour time conflicted with the OLFOF ERT. That's right! PKI gave ACERS ERT on OLFOF.

News flash!!!! Phantom Theater now has an age restriction. Unless you are accompanied by a child, no adults or teens may ride. Obviously a smart decision to cut the needless antics and horrible destruction the ride has faced in the past.

Highlights of the day include...A great look at all the nifty SOB souveniers available at the park, apeak at the new ACE plaque being embedded into International Street (beautiful!) and a great dinner courtesy of the park.

My favorite parts of the day? Seeing my Beast crew pals back at work. Boy do I miss them! And having my picture taken in the very hard to find boardroom where Mike Brady revealed the mixed up plans in the Brady Bunch episode. Call it silly, but this was so hysterical that I laugh just typing about it. The room remains exactly as you see it in the episode.

Above all, the best part of the day was seeing and spending time with some of the best people on the face of the earth. Acer, Mr, Acer, Angie, Taryn, David, Jeffrey and Roger. These folks are the reason I had such a great time.

I will post pics very soon, I have over 60! Some you will not believe. And some courtesy Mr Acer and Acer.

Thanks to all. And thank you PKI for once again bringing out the kid in me.

Shaggy

Re: PKI Dry Run/SOB tour TR by Rob Lec at 4/9/00 12:08:29 AM

> Thanks to all. And thank you PKI
> for once again bringing out the kid in me.
> Shaggy

And thank you Shaggy for sharing your day with us. It sounds like you carried around your own sunbeam with you today.

Re: PKI Dry Run/SOB tour TR by MrDan at 4/9/00 2:38:15 AM

> PKI also offered a behind the scenes tour.
> ACERS were able to see many parts of PKI not
> often seen by public. The most interesting?
> The graveyard where old rides go to die.
> Current inhabitants? The climbing structure
> from Nick Splat City and the Kings Mill Log
> Flume Boats. Yep you heard right. Flume is
> no more. Not even on the park map. The newer
> KMLF boats were sent to Carowinds for their
> flume.

That really stinks. I'm going to miss that ride. I could always remember watching it run and thinking, "Hmmm... get wet, or roller coaster... get wet, or roller coaster." It was one of the few flumes I've ever seen that actually made the decision tough.

> OLFOF was running. Complete with new
> padding and tweaking to make the ride more
> enjoyable. You will notice a difference this
> year. I did not ride, since my construction
> tour time conflicted with the OLFOF ERT.
> That's right! PKI gave ACERS ERT on OLFOF.

Did you get to talk to anyone that rode it? I loved OL:FOF the first year that it opened, but now I've heard it's overbraked at the top which will probably toss it right out of my top 10. Is it improved and intense, or does it lack the intensity it once had?

> News flash!!!! Phantom Theater now has an
> age restriction. Unless you are accompanied
> by a child, no adults or teens may ride.
> Obviously a smart decision to cut the
> needless antics and horrible destruction the
> ride has faced in the past.

Obviously a smart decision for those kids that couldn't handle stuff like that, but a really really really sucky decision for a lot of others. When my full family last went down to KI, we did the haunted house three times and were amazed that it was so good. My dad (who is the biggest Disney supporter in the world) said it was as good as the Haunted Mansion. I was quite looking forward to riding it this summer with my two friends who have both never been on a really good dark ride like that, and considering that we are all under the age of 20, we're the "problem group".

*sigh*

That's probably the _worst_ news I've heard in a long time. I'm very disappointed.

>Thanks to all. And thank you PKI
> for once again bringing out the kid in me.

Thanks for sharing your day Shaggy, even if it held some bad news for me :)

dan