Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out about'01

PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out about'01

Sean

Posted:
4/8/00 at
6:18:49 PM

Hello everyone! I am always, like many others here, trying to solve the puzzle of what PKI will be getting NEW for their coming season. Well, I have finally got somewhere on my hunt for 2001. Now it is not very far, and many others are already thinking this way. But for the nonbelievers I have compiled the evidence. In a recent article Tim Fisher, the big guy at PKI, was interviewed and gave hints for 2001. The following is an excerpt from the article:

Paramount, the entertainment conglomerate that owns Kings Island, will continue to add major attractions, Mr. Fisher said. Although the park covers about 365 acres, there still are nearly 400 more to develop, he said.

In 2001, the emphasis will be on “infrastructure,” like restrooms, entrances, adding more shaded areas and other amenities, he said.

“I really want to get back to some of the fundamental things,” Mr. Fisher said.

For all the "hardcore" coaster fans here, this is SAD news, but I believe that it is very important for PKI to renovate many of the areas of the park that have been neglected over the past years. Just look at sections of Rivertown, Coney Mall, and Oktoberfest and you can clearly see that the park is begging to show that it is almost 30 years old. Also, lets not rule out that PR at PKI has stated that the Kings Mill Log Flume will be gone by '01 to make way for a new attraction. Most likely a more modern water ride. What are your opinions on the park's stance for '01? Do you feel that focusing on "infrastructure," as MR.Fisher stated, is the route to go, or should the park be more like Premier and build while they let the park's appearance dwindle?

Re: PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out abou by PINK FLOYD FANATIC at 4/8/00 7:49:08 PM

> Hello everyone! I am always, like many
> others here, trying to solve the puzzle of
> what PKI will be getting NEW for their
> coming season. Well, I have finally got
> somewhere on my hunt for 2001. Now it is not
> very far, and many others are already
> thinking this way. But for the nonbelievers
> I have compiled the evidence. In a recent
> article Tim Fisher, the big guy at PKI, was
> interviewed and gave hints for 2001. The
> following is an excerpt from the article:
> Paramount, the entertainment conglomerate
> that owns Kings Island, will continue to add
> major attractions, Mr. Fisher said. Although
> the park covers about 365 acres, there still
> are nearly 400 more to develop, he said. In
> 2001, the emphasis will be on
> “infrastructure,” like restrooms, entrances,
> adding more shaded areas and other
> amenities, he said. “I really want to get
> back to some of the fundamental things,” Mr.
> Fisher said. For all the
> "hardcore" coaster fans here, this
> is SAD news, but I believe that it is very
> important for PKI to renovate many of the
> areas of the park that have been neglected
> over the past years. Just look at sections
> of Rivertown, Coney Mall, and Oktoberfest
> and you can clearly see that the park is
> begging to show that it is almost 30 years
> old. Also, lets not rule out that PR at PKI
> has stated that the Kings Mill Log Flume
> will be gone by '01 to make way for a new
> attraction. Most likely a more modern water
> ride. What are your opinions on the park's
> stance for '01? Do you feel that focusing on
> "infrastructure," as MR.Fisher
> stated, is the route to go, or should the
> park be more like Premier and build while
> they let the park's appearance dwindle?

I think PKI has taken the right steps by doing the infrastracture and if they added a new water ride for 2001 it would fill the void left from the log flume! But I hope a 350+ foot airtime filled hyper would would be added the year after!

PFF

Re: PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out abou by CoasterFanatic at 4/9/00 12:47:38 AM

> Hello everyone! I am always, like many
> others here, trying to solve the puzzle of
> what PKI will be getting NEW for their
> coming season. Well, I have finally got
> somewhere on my hunt for 2001. Now it is not
> very far, and many others are already
> thinking this way. But for the nonbelievers
> I have compiled the evidence. In a recent
> article Tim Fisher, the big guy at PKI, was
> interviewed and gave hints for 2001. The
> following is an excerpt from the article:
> Paramount, the entertainment conglomerate
> that owns Kings Island, will continue to add
> major attractions, Mr. Fisher said. Although
> the park covers about 365 acres, there still
> are nearly 400 more to develop, he said. In
> 2001, the emphasis will be on
> “infrastructure,” like restrooms, entrances,
> adding more shaded areas and other
> amenities, he said. “I really want to get
> back to some of the fundamental things,” Mr.
> Fisher said. For all the
> "hardcore" coaster fans here, this
> is SAD news, but I believe that it is very
> important for PKI to renovate many of the
> areas of the park that have been neglected
> over the past years. Just look at sections
> of Rivertown, Coney Mall, and Oktoberfest
> and you can clearly see that the park is
> begging to show that it is almost 30 years
> old. Also, lets not rule out that PR at PKI
> has stated that the Kings Mill Log Flume
> will be gone by '01 to make way for a new
> attraction. Most likely a more modern water
> ride. What are your opinions on the park's
> stance for '01? Do you feel that focusing on
> "infrastructure," as MR.Fisher
> stated, is the route to go, or should the
> park be more like Premier and build while
> they let the park's appearance dwindle?

PKI hardly ever installes 5mil+ rides in back to back years! The '99-2000 seasons the exception as they were recreating a total section of the park.

Yea I belive a major overhaul of the park is neccessary to get rid of the Different year same thing feeling. And I also agree that some of the areas need spruced up and painted, examples Eifel Tower, Vortex, Train ride and the arcade area, also a restroom should be built midway down the coney mall area even though there are restrooms on each end. Also some major flatrides are needed for this area. I was thinking behind racers station! and the entrances to this area would be Outer limits and where the climbing wall is now.

Shaggy stated that the kings mill log flume was no more and I was chastised for posting it a couple months back and told that it would operate at least till september this season, and was told bye a employee the ride is still intact!( Maybe the boats he seen in the graveyard are old unusable boats?) A water coaster and some other western themed rides could revitalize rivertown, there is a large area just across the railroad tracks that could be used.

The shops on international street in the past couple years are a big improvement from years past and international street should remain intact as its the last themed area of the park.

Octoberfest? what can I say? Totally gutted with the only remaining ride( Viking Fury! Standing tucked behind the buildings. Adventure Express is consider Action Zone area. I think they should extend store fronts around from Int Street to Festhaus and add some statues and stuff to give it a more European feel like it once had.

Hanna Barbara, Leave it alone. it will get a revamp in about 4 years anyway. Just kidding, dont get mad.

Tim Fisher and other exects have been mentioning another entrance, There is a huge area of land behind SOB and maybe a additional parking area and new section of the park will be built here. ( Purly speculation here on my part ) but the idea has been put out there several times in the last 5 years.

PKI is one of the best family amusement parks out there and should be taken care of, The Stealth or Hyper or whatever the next coaster will be, can wait till 2002. Also 2002 will mark the parks 30th anniversiary and I would expect a blockbuster ride to celebrate that mark.

Thanks KI for 28 years of thrills and fun!

Chuck Nungester, 12 time season pass holder.

KMLF by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/9/00 1:07:50 AM

> Shaggy
> stated that the kings mill log flume was no
> more and I was chastised for posting it a
> couple months back and told that it would
> operate at least till september this season,
> and was told bye a employee the ride is
> still intact!( Maybe the boats he seen in
> the graveyard are old unusable boats?)

The boats in the graveyard are indeed old, unusable boats. The good ones were sent to Carowinds. KMLF no longer exists in PKI eyes. It was not staffed and stands idle. The latest prediction is that a fence will be built to disguise it from view. I don't think the PKI officials at today's events would tell us untruths. I place my trust in what PKI says, not rumors.

Shaggy

Re: PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out abou by swOHman at 4/9/00 1:20:45 AM

I would like to see some more bathrooms with water fountains added. They are a little low on water fountains and pop is almost 3 bucks!!! I would also like to see another flat ride or two and Octoberfest needs some revitalization. I think they will put off another coaster until the 30th aniversary.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: KMLF by CoasterFanatic at 4/9/00 9:08:21 AM

The boats in the graveyard are indeed old,
> unusable boats. The good ones were sent to
> Carowinds. KMLF no longer exists in PKI
> eyes. It was not staffed and stands idle.
> The latest prediction is that a fence will
> be built to disguise it from view. I don't
> think the PKI officials at today's events
> would tell us untruths. I place my trust in
> what PKI says, not rumors. Shaggy

Yes I trust those PKI asscociates you mentioned earlyer too. And thank you for clearing the KMLF thing up. Also shaggy thanks for posting the comparison pic!

That pic should be somthing to show in about 10 years! What am I talking about? Its somthing to show now!

Chuck

Re: PKI 2001 INFO! Important hints coming out abou by PKI Employee at 4/9/00 1:04:55 PM

You say execs at PKI never put out 'Untruths'. Just remember a few years back when a sign hung in Coney Mall that said there was a new ride dropping in next year. Drop Zone got scratched for that year, and Water Works was expanded instead.

I dont consider that an untruth...... by Iceman at 4/9/00 6:01:17 PM

I wouldn't consider than an untruth. As far as they knew it was going to be coming in. So they weren't telling lies at all. At the time it was planned but at the last minute scratched it for Waterworks. I consider an untruth when they intentionally tell you one thing fully k nowing that what they are saying isn't true.

Iceman