Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SF Great Adventure Opening Day

SF Great Adventure Opening Day

TOTManiac

Posted:
4/8/00 at
5:59:42 PM

Let's see...

The water park is coming along nicely. Rolling Thunder was running the right side with two trains. Also it looked like they have begun to repaint it. It could be my imagination but out on the turn around it looked freshly painted. Scream Machine was up until around 12 then closed. I think chiller was up before I got there but it was closed when i passed it and the robin train was cradled in the valley. They had a crane out and were removing the train and putting it back together behind the load/unload. Viper track was marked with lots of orange tags (why?). What is going on next to the skull mtn queue?

Re: SF Great Adventure Opening Day by DarkRideDan at 4/8/00 8:39:33 PM

Well, it turns out that i decided to go it alone, and not meet up with Great Adventure fans and the users of URC on opening day. So, I don't deserve to write a trip report! The only thing... you can get your season pass processed at the trailer placed between Medusa and The Northern Star Arena. I can't say anymore because it would be opinion (+&-)or surprise.

> Let's see... The water park is coming along
> nicely. Rolling Thunder was running the
> right side with two trains. Also it looked
> like they have begun to repaint it. It could
> be my imagination but out on the turn around
> it looked freshly painted. Scream Machine
> was up until around 12 then closed. I think
> chiller was up before I got there but it was
> closed when i passed it and the robin train
> was cradled in the valley. They had a crane
> out and were removing the train and putting
> it back together behind the load/unload.
> Viper track was marked with lots of orange
> tags (why?). What is going on next to the
> skull mtn queue?

Re: SF Great Adventure Opening Day by greatApe at 4/8/00 9:05:53 PM

> Well, it turns out that i decided to go it
> alone, and not meet up with Great Adventure
> fans and the users of URC on opening day.
> So, I don't deserve to write a trip report!
> The only thing... you can get your season
> pass processed at the trailer placed between
> Medusa and The Northern Star Arena. I can't
> say anymore because it would be opinion
> (+&-)or surprise.

I too went alone...WHY wouldnt they let me get in open seats after i got off the ride At all the coasters they said go back to the end of the line. Man,lines are boring when your flyin solo. Well tis true that RT had some fresh paint on it. On the right side in spots. They put on the second train at around 2pm, i was in the station. That orange tape bit i have no clue what it was for, there was some on Batman:tr also. All i got to ride was batman rt and medusa. I cant wait to ride the water rides, the slide look cool. One question. Will B&R:tc ever work right?

Re: SF Great Adventure Opening Day by ACEMEMBER at 4/8/00 9:18:08 PM

> Let's see... The water park is coming along
> nicely. Rolling Thunder was running the
> right side with two trains. Also it looked
> like they have begun to repaint it. It could
> be my imagination but out on the turn around
> it looked freshly painted. Scream Machine
> was up until around 12 then closed. I think
> chiller was up before I got there but it was
> closed when i passed it and the robin train
> was cradled in the valley. They had a crane
> out and were removing the train and putting
> it back together behind the load/unload.
> Viper track was marked with lots of orange
> tags (why?). What is going on next to the
> skull mtn queue?

Yeah I noticed the yellow tape and the fresh paint on Rolling Thunder. The Great American Scream Machine needs a paint job but so does the rusty looking batman. As usual the park staff was not very friendly, the place is far from ready for primetime. Alot of rides were not operational. O.K. I am new to this forum somewhat but what is the deal with the Batman side on the chiller? It never seems to run, or if it does not for long. I am sure you guys have discussed this already just please put me up to speed. Lastly, there was some drama on the Congo Rapids...one of the rafts got stuck and they had to unload the people off of the raft and make them walk the back-way off the ride. I got some great shots of most of the coasters on my Kodak DCS90 (go buy this camera it rules) and of the incident on the Congo rapids. Lastly there was like little to no security. I almost got into it with two brothers for line jumping on the Medusa. Other than that it was typical SFGadv.

Re: SF Great Adventure Opening Day by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/8/00 11:02:47 PM

I was very surprised to learn Friday Night that botht the Scream Machine and Houdini were going to open the next day. It would have been better if they had remained closed. There was a very noticieable sound and vibration on Houdini that gave me the most concern. It was eventually closed down. Greta was the nicest surprise. there is a little reprofile from what I see, I was told there was none. She was running great when running. The other side of RT will be up and running after thhe trains are rehabilitated.

Somebody remind me to bring or buy a hat even if they predict rain. I am suffering so badly right now from Sunburn. Penduleum was running an insane program this evening, Loved it.

Finally, the building you saw going up next to SkMtn is the chinese Restuarant, Wok and Roll. Chiipys has not taken over yet at the fish and chip stand. I have also been told that a Cajun something restuarant is comming in also. It is a chain and it starts with cajun but I forget the rest of it. Oh well.

Too tired to go any further.

Ed