Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB?

Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB?

BrianG

Posted:
4/8/00 at
4:47:37 PM

Ok, I know a lot of you are gonna trash me for saying this but why is everyone maing a big deal over SOB? This coaster is basically a wooden hyper-coaster with a loop. That's it there really isn't much more to say about it. I don't wanna dissapoint anyone but the loop will feel just like a steel loop which isn't all that great. In my opinion this ride will become the king of head-banging. This ride could suffer the same fate as The Bat. Thsi ride has too much speed not to be rough. But then again I'll just have to wait and see for myself.

BrianG

Unofficial Guide to SFDL

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Coaster Rob at 4/8/00 6:01:08 PM

I know what you are talking about.. but it is a big deal because its the FIRST woodie to break 200 ft.. and have a loop in it.. so its the first of 2 different things.. thats why its a big deal

Rob

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Coaster Rob at 4/8/00 6:01:41 PM

I know what you are talking about.. but it is a big deal because its the FIRST woodie to break 200 ft.. and have a loop in it.. so its the first of 2 different things.. thats why its a big deal. and is it gonna have OTS restraints?

Rob

NO OTSR's (nm) by PKI Buckeye at 4/8/00 6:20:23 PM

is it gonna have OTS
> restraints? Rob

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Rob Lec at 4/8/00 6:21:03 PM

> I know what you are talking about.. but it
> is a big deal because its the FIRST woodie
> to break 200 ft.. and have a loop in it.. so
> its the first of 2 different things.. thats
> why its a big deal. and is it gonna have OTS
> restraints? Rob

No shoulder restraints, just lapbars. And the loop isn't really the big deal. Yes, they're promoting that, but what everyone is really looking forward to is the height and speed and the forces it's going to put you thru.

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by TheBeastAaron at 4/8/00 6:34:55 PM

Well everyone is making a big deal about it becuase they have never tested what a woodie can do. We can make a steel coaster 500+ feet high, but for wood there is going to be limits. Also there is no way SOB is going to be a head banger. Like everyone else said there is going to be lap bars which is going to be awesome! And plus all woodies are bumpy, shaky, and rough, but that's what makes them so much fun!

-Aaron

Aaron's Coaster Mania!

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Masher at 4/8/00 7:37:43 PM

> Ok, I know a lot of you are gonna trash me
> for saying this but why is everyone maing a
> big deal over SOB? This coaster is basically
> a wooden hyper-coaster with a loop. That's
> it there really isn't much more to say about
> it. I don't wanna dissapoint anyone but the
> loop will feel just like a steel loop which
> isn't all that great. In my opinion this
> ride will become the king of head-banging.
> This ride could suffer the same fate as The
> Bat. Thsi ride has too much speed not to be
> rough. But then again I'll just have to wait
> and see for myself. BrianG

Brian, "I'll sum it up in two distinct words the reason WHY you should be excited, Werner Stengle." Werner is the undisputable industry leader in understanding the stress of Roller Coaster designs on the Human body. Werner and his assoicates are used exensively within the industry to validate design plans and provide feedback on areas related to both structural and human body stress points. Quite frankly the man is a genius in his field. He is also a man who is admired for taking great pride in his work.

The capper is, "SOB will be Werner Stengle's very FIRST independent design where he gets exclusive recognition as the company that not only validated the plans but as the creator as well. His other major work in progress is California Screaming at DCA.

GET EXCITED AS THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!

I'm BUMMED that I will be missing the URC event in June:(

Wener Stengel

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by K.C. at 4/8/00 7:51:32 PM

One reason is that it is being touted as the Son of Beast. The original Beast turned out to be a HUGE success for King's Island back in the late 70's, and they are hoping the next generation of the Beast will recreate the magic that the Big Daddy did. Will it work? Probably, but I think you still will want the fast ride through the woods, and tunnels that the old Beast gives ya! So for PKI it should be a win, win situation.

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Pantera Psycho at 4/9/00 12:04:35 AM

I'm not trashing you at all, just stating how I see it. I don't think this coaster will be the greatest thing ever, but I think at least the first few years or so it'll be great. I do think the roughness will set in, but then again, headbanging isn't the term to use, since the ride's restraints are currently going to be lap bars, not to count out any further use of OTS restraints, but I think that'll be a while still, the ride'll probably be rough long before that. The loop, well, I think it'll be very similar to the steel coaster loop, but not the exact same thing, when a wooden coaster moves, it does have a physically different feel, and having that feel going upside down in a loop will play major mind games on riders, it will be something different, but not something totally out of this world. BTW, one last thing, kings of headbanging is Carcass.

Re: Why deal over SOB? Night Rides!!!!!!!!! by CoasterFanatic at 4/9/00 12:59:09 AM

No shoulder restraints, just lapbars. And the
> loop isn't really the big deal. Yes, they're
> promoting that, but what everyone is really
> looking forward to is the height and speed
> and the forces it's going to put you thru.

Heck if you think Magnum gives a good night ride Son of beast should be the ultimate! That valley is completely dark at night and unless the light the heck out of it, this should be a Fast and Furious ride through the dark!

Chuck

Re: Lights by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/9/00 1:10:24 AM

Son of Beast will have a lit lift hill, but little else. There is a chance that the loop will receive illumination, but that has yet to be decided.

Shaggy

Re: Why is everyone making a big deal over SOB? by Stephen pkiguy2k at 4/9/00 8:33:10 AM

> and see for myself. BrianG Brian you are soooooooooooooo crazy. Look at MF it doesn't have anything except a hill. That ride will be going so fast it will kill your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOB Tunnles???????????????? by Stephen pkiguy2k at 4/9/00 8:40:09 AM

Is SOB going to have tunnles?????? I dont think so but please answer this.

Forget loop, Speed, height, length, And helix by Mike at 4/10/00 7:40:57 AM

Most people like wood costers more than, steel. At least they say. Then when a supper woodie comes out they ask, whats the diffrence. The loop to me is no big deal. Its the fact your going hyper, "for the first time", with the old wood sensation. And the helixes are incredable. Im not even sure how many there are but it looks like a tun of them.. But I feel that some of the wierd down hill soreta hilexed turns, will make the double hilex, after the second hill on the original Beast seem slow. Now also it seems to me that 55 or 60 feels alot faster on wood than 65 or so feels on steel. So I cant imagin that wood feel at 70+. So its just gona proably feel like its ripping the track off, you know that sound of rumbling wood, that a wood coaster makes. To think that the beast climbs higher than the Magnum "at CP", but does far more. Is enuff in my area, to say wow! p.s. When I go up the lines are gonna suck Memorial day weekend!! uhhh, both CP and Kings, Kings on Sat. And were only truthfully looking at Both Beasts, and Outer Limits "wana see the diffrence. And CP on Sunday. Now were only thinking one or mabey two rides on MF, and Raptor, and Magnum. Are idea is to wait in line at CP in the morning get on MF fast, so we can let the lines go threw threr, and hopefully, the lines will be shorter "because of MF, on the rest. Then To Geuaga Lake, oops, SFO, in June. Looking foward to Batmans Night flight or whatever it is the most.

Oopps one more thing 7,000+ feet on both but by Mike at 4/10/00 7:47:06 AM

The Beast did 7,000+ feet with two lift hills, the Son will do it with one!