Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Significance of eiffel Towers @ PKI, and PKD?

Significance of eiffel Towers @ PKI, and PKD?

Northrider

Posted:
4/8/00 at
2:02:25 PM

Hey all! I was just wondering about why PKI and PKD have eiffel Towers as their parks' centerpieces. They look cool and everything, but what were the designers of those parks thinking, or intending when they put them in? Did they originally want a parisian, or european theme? Wonderland is my home park and we have a mountain as our centerpiece. Did Taft Broadcasting/King's Entertainment (the companies who originally built the parks) want to have an eiffel tower in Wonderland too? I'm just interested in architecture, and when I look at the eiffel towers, I ask myself WHY.. Any feedback?

Re: Significance of Eiffel Towers @ PKI, and PKD? by PKI Buckeye at 4/8/00 2:19:13 PM

I have never been to PKD, but my home park and favorite park is PKI so I'll comment on what I know from there. I believe that they wanted it (The Eiffel Tower) to be the centerpiece of the "French" European-style village you walk into when you enter the park. The themeing would support that idea as well b/c the Royal Fountains in front of the tower mimic the large fountain pool in front of "the real" tower. Im sure others on the board that know a lot about the parks could elaborate a little more than I have, but that's what I think. I think they're cool also; very unique.

PKI Buckeye Wishing I was at PKI today :)

Re: Significance of eiffel Towers @ PKI, and PKD? by Bob Hooley at 4/8/00 8:12:13 PM

> Hey all! I was just wondering about why PKI
> and PKD have eiffel Towers as their parks'
> centerpieces. They look cool and everything,
> but what were the designers of those parks
> thinking, or intending when they put them
> in? Did they originally want a parisian, or
> european theme? Wonderland is my home park
> and we have a mountain as our centerpiece.
> Did Taft Broadcasting/King's Entertainment
> (the companies who originally built the
> parks) want to have an eiffel tower in
> Wonderland too? I'm just interested in
> architecture, and when I look at the eiffel
> towers, I ask myself WHY.. Any feedback?

As far as the lack of a tower at Wonderland goes, I heard that such a tower might have been considered except for the controversy it may have caused in Canada considering the French/English "conflicts". I heard that first some Canadians were very concerned about an "American" park (I guess that means influenced by the United States)in their country, and that in addition to that, any appearance of favoritism towards any group (especially French or English) may have led to difficulties. If there are any "problems" between French and other Canadians, certainly the inclusion of a very French-inspired tower may have been a mistake they were wise to avoid.

Bob Hooley

Bobcoaster's Coaster Pages

Story behind the Eiffel Towers @ PKI and PKD by Michael at 4/8/00 9:39:48 PM

> From what I have read, in which I don't quite remember where I've read it, and anyone who knows any further info can correct me, is as follows:

Back when Coney Island Cincinnati was still in operation, the folks at Intamin (who designed the tower), were just starting out and were looking for potential clients for their products. At this time, the folks at Coney were in the early stages of planning Kings Island. Intamin approached Coney about building the tower at the traditional park. Though it was declined as an addition to Coney, the owners liked the idea and designed the infamous International Street around the tower. It was such a success that a duplicate was ordered for Kings Dominion a few years later. The Eiffel Tower is one of my favorite get-out-of-the-crowds-and-take-a-break attractions while at PKI. The view is great and I like the fact you can stay up there as long as you want.

Michael

Re: Significance of Eiffel Towers @ PKI, and PKD? by swOHman at 4/8/00 10:55:04 PM

You are very correct. The Eiffel Tower fits the themeing of International Street very well. They even have a French pastry shop (La Patisserie de Francais) right next to it. It is a landmark that I have enjoyed since my childhood (ok so I might still be young). I remember going down 741 looking for the top of the tower out my car window and the joy it brang when I finally saw it.

swOHman a.k.a. Brian (who also wishes he where at PKI and can't until it opens on Friday!!!!)