Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Shaggy's first coaster ride of 2000. SFKK TR

Shaggy's first coaster ride of 2000. SFKK TR

Shaggy Shaggy Profile

Posted:
4/8/00 at
1:05:26 AM

Yep, I couldn't hold out any longer! I had wanted SOB to be the first ride of the year, but hey, what can I say?

My trip to SFKK actually happened by accident. I had a business trip planned a week ago that would have taken me to Louisville. The original intention was to stop by a Kroger grocery store and pick up a season pass for myself and one for my buddy Rocket Roger. Well needless to say, my meeting got cancelled, so the business trip got cancelled.

Knowing I would see Rog Saturday April 8 at PKI, I wanted to be able to give him his pass as promised. So after much deliberation, I drove to Kentucky. Now I had planned just to drive far enough to get to the closest Kroger selling the passes. I did, and found myself about 1/2 hour away from SFKK at 7:30pm. I had nothing pressing, so I thought "Why don't I just drive by the park and see if they are open?" They were...and the place was empty! I wasn't passing this up.

We are talking re-ride city! I first got my season pass processed and that left me with about 1 1/2 hours to ride. In that time I managed to log 4 rides on Chang, 2 rides on T2, and 7 rides on Twisted Sisters as well as walk throught the entire park. Not being a fan of Thunder Run, I chose to finish the evening on Lola (The pink side of Twisted Sisters, Stella of course was not operational. Hmmm go figure.)

Maybe it was the fact that I have been coaster deprived for 5 months now. Maybe it was the fact that it was the weekend. Maybe it was the fact the place was empty. Whatever it was, I had a great time! Lola was running extremely well, and the unbelievable amount of airtime it gave (especially in the back seat) was what I have been waiting long and hard for.

I have been vocal about my dislike for several things at SFKK in the past. And it will still take a lot for me to change my mind. However any park can be fantastic when the circumstances were as they were tonight.

The weather had threatened rain all night, but that kept people away. I only got a few sprinkles while there. Coming home - yuk! Thunderstorms everywhere. But it was sooo worth it.

While there I ran into some ACE members who are attending the PKI preview tomorrow. It is always great to meet and share coaster fun with others. Which is exactly what I am counting on at PKI on Saturday. I'll post a TR tomorrow too!

So, I guess SOB will just be my first NEW coaster of 2000. Which is fine my me. Man I love that coaster feeling!

Shaggy

A few questions.... by Fred at 4/8/00 4:02:15 AM

So I take it that SFKK isn't going with the obvious and renaming Chang to become Riddler's Revenge and renaming T@ to become Batman: The Ride. Why is that?

I am actually quite happy that they are (so far) going to leave Chang as "Chang". It woud be stupid of them to confuse two different coasters liek RR and Chang by using the same name.

I personally do not like SFKK. In fact, I won't be going to the annual convention this year becuase ACE should be having it at PKI, not SFKK, becuase SFKK is doing nothing exciting this year and its not an exciting park. While PKI is pushing the envelope with SOB. I would have to say after my very annoying experience with SFKK a year and a half ago, I have no desire to go there again. I'm glad you caught it on an empty day. That place really sucks when there are people there! I thought I would just share my opinion of the place since we are talking about it. :)

FRED

Re: A few questions.... by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/8/00 9:02:05 AM

Chang is still Chang. And T2 is still T2. Nothing has changed other than the Squid and Vampire being removed. Oh and one other thing....Hellivator is now called "The Giant Drop."

The park is an odd one. At the gate, the map/comic book they had out clearly states in bold letters "Seven great coasters!" Apparently they count Twisted Sisters as two although I have not seen Stella running since it's first season. I have probably been there 10 times since and it just never runs. They haven't even bothered to put the train in the track this year.

Actually the ACE days at SFKK, were supposed to officially include PKI. Originally, from my understanding, ACE had persued having one of the days at PKI. However the marketing team at that time (not the current team hint hint hint) were a bit slack in their response so the event was scheduled for HW and SFKK. The new marketing team has persued the addition of the PKI add on day, which made a lot of people happy. But as some ACE officials said at Eastcoaster...all parks need to be supported. Not just the large ones.

SFKK has potential. But it continues to go untapped. As I have said before, I think it has to many things working against it.

Shaggy

From what I understand by lee at 4/8/00 12:25:02 PM

From what I understand is that the convention was scheduled there because the original plan from Premier was to have the SFO happen at SFKK instead of SFO, minus the Villain and that got ACE's attention real quick. AND who could blame them... And then they decided to do SFO w/ the treatment instead and Ace had already scheduled it so there was no turning back for them...

I love SFKK, but yet I hate it.... I love that I can go there and ride everything at the park in under 3 hours. But I hate the fact that the park has so much potential and is not using it...

If the park was going to expand heres what I'd like to see.... Quake taken out and a Huss Top spin put in.... Have a Space shot installed in the turnaround of Thunder Run... Rip out the Dragsters and use the land as a station; have an intamin hyper start here and the lift go towards the road and a curving first drop that goes underneath the bridge and follows the river.... Then Take the area where T2 is, and take it down and put a B&MorARROW invert there... And then the area between TR, TS, and chang and put in either a B&Mor Arrow looper.... And then the area between MLF& Rollerskater and put in a log flume... And lastly where Vampire used to be put in an Impulse coaster.....

The park has so much potential and my thoughts on additions I really like... What do you all think?

Re: Shaggy's first coaster ride of 2000. SFKK TR by Coaster 3:16 at 4/8/00 3:30:22 PM

Wasn't SFKK getting a mouse this year or am I confusing it with another park? If so, was it running (or even there) and if it wasn't there, maybe that is the 7th coaster they are referring to? Just guesses.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: Shaggy's first coaster ride of 2000. SFKK TR by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/8/00 9:09:48 PM

Yes the are getting a mouse....But there is absolutely no sign of it.

Err...ummm...correction...there is a concrete pad.

OIY

Shaggy

Re: Shaggy's first coaster ride of 2000. SFKK TR by coasterwoman1 at 4/10/00 4:47:23 PM

Hey, Shaggy...wanted to thank you for the advice on how to ride Outer Limits at PKI...it really worked. I hope they fix all the troubles they had, though. Did you get to ride it?

> Yep, I couldn't hold out any longer! I had
> wanted SOB to be the first ride of the year,
> but hey, what can I say? My trip to SFKK
> actually happened by accident. I had a
> business trip planned a week ago that would
> have taken me to Louisville. The original
> intention was to stop by a Kroger grocery
> store and pick up a season pass for myself
> and one for my buddy Rocket Roger. Well
> needless to say, my meeting got cancelled,
> so the business trip got cancelled. Knowing
> I would see Rog Saturday April 8 at PKI, I
> wanted to be able to give him his pass as
> promised. So after much deliberation, I
> drove to Kentucky. Now I had planned just to
> drive far enough to get to the closest
> Kroger selling the passes. I did, and found
> myself about 1/2 hour away from SFKK at
> 7:30pm. I had nothing pressing, so I thought
> "Why don't I just drive by the park and
> see if they are open?" They were...and
> the place was empty! I wasn't passing this
> up. We are talking re-ride city! I first
> got my season pass processed and that left
> me with about 1 1/2 hours to ride. In that
> time I managed to log 4 rides on Chang, 2
> rides on T2, and 7 rides on Twisted Sisters
> as well as walk throught the entire park.
> Not being a fan of Thunder Run, I chose to
> finish the evening on Lola (The pink side of
> Twisted Sisters, Stella of course was not
> operational. Hmmm go figure.) Maybe it was
> the fact that I have been coaster deprived
> for 5 months now. Maybe it was the fact that
> it was the weekend. Maybe it was the fact
> the place was empty. Whatever it was, I had
> a great time! Lola was running extremely
> well, and the unbelievable amount of airtime
> it gave (especially in the back seat) was
> what I have been waiting long and hard for.
> I have been vocal about my dislike for
> several things at SFKK in the past. And it
> will still take a lot for me to change my
> mind. However any park can be fantastic when
> the circumstances were as they were tonight.
> The weather had threatened rain all night,
> but that kept people away. I only got a few
> sprinkles while there. Coming home - yuk!
> Thunderstorms everywhere. But it was sooo
> worth it. While there I ran into some ACE
> members who are attending the PKI preview
> tomorrow. It is always great to meet and
> share coaster fun with others. Which is
> exactly what I am counting on at PKI on
> Saturday. I'll post a TR tomorrow too! So,
> I guess SOB will just be my first NEW
> coaster of 2000. Which is fine my me. Man I
> love that coaster feeling! Shaggy