Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > BGT, Sea World, loose article question

BGT, Sea World, loose article question

NotSo NotSo Profile

Posted:
1/12/17 at
5:20:10 PM

Going to hit both park next week, the one thing I cannot seem to find is the loose article policy. At Universal we had to get a locker for your keys and wallet, they even waved metal detectors at you while you entered. I am wondering if SW or BGT is like this as well, or will I be ok with my normal cargo shorts that I always wear at CP and KI?

Anybody know?

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by ktujon ktujon Profile at 1/13/17 11:04:52 AM
I'm planning on going next week myself, there are lockers at the entrance but they don't have metal detectors at their coasters
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by NotSo NotSo Profile at 1/13/17 12:58:41 PM
No metal detectors, ok thank you. I guess that means I can keep my stuff in my pockets, that's good.

Looking forward to Mako, and also Cheetah Hunt and FalconFury.

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/13/17 5:02:25 PM
Universal has metal detectors at the entrance to attractions? That sucks!
Mike B.
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by NotSo NotSo Profile at 1/13/17 6:03:08 PM
Yeah, I know RRR and Dualing Dragons they wanded us at the entrance, even for loose change! Now, the lockers were free, so that's good. I just hate leaving my wallet with all my money and credit card and all my info, and my rental car keys - in a locker that I'm not 100% sure someone cant hack into! I find myself nervous the whole ride until I get my wallet back in my pocket..
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/13/17 11:14:17 PM
So their metal detectors find your wallet? I have a huge problem with that, being I travel with 3 kids, usually a lot of cash, and credit cards, for emergency use. We have a Florida trip planned for 2017 and I will probably skip The Universal Parks if that's the case. I had a similar situation at Playland's Castaway Cove with some of their thrill rides. I made the security guard count my money and said if my wallet was stolen I would contact my attorney to retain that amount of money from the park, being I was required to leave it.
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by leroyk at 1/13/17 11:32:46 PM
At both BGT and SeaWorld you will only encounter metal detectors at the entrance of the park. It was really refreshing after my recent trip to IOA.Hulk seems to be fine. Dragons is better with the queue line to the lockers but it is still a hassle. Lines at the locker. Lines at the metal detector and then you get to the actual ride. So nice to just walk up to the ride and get on.

Enjoy...

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by leroyk at 1/13/17 11:34:05 PM
They seem to visually inspect you too to see if you look like you are carrying obvious things in your pockets. Got to be the worst job on the planet.
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/16/17 12:15:00 PM
NotSo said:

Yeah, I know RRR and Dualing Dragons they wanded us at the entrance, even for loose change!

Loose change is one of the biggest possible hazards.

I've been using Universal lockers for more than a decade without issue.

Rip Ride Rockit, Incredible Hulk, and Dueling Dragons have metal detectors and visual searches for loose articles.

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/16/17 3:03:03 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Loose change is one of the biggest possible hazards.

I've been using Universal lockers for more than a decade without issue.

Rip Ride Rockit, Incredible Hulk, and Dueling Dragons have metal detectors and visual searches for loose articles.

My last visit to USF/IOA was 18 months ago and I don't remember there being much obtrusiveness... don't recall ever being wanded. Only place I remember lockers was for HP. I found $3 in quarters on the seat first time I boarded the original HP ride in IOA. I don't know about RRR since I only rode i a couple times when it opened and didn't like it.

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/16/17 3:58:04 PM
The incidents on Rip Ride Rockit and Dragon Challenge prompted this change.

There have been metal detectors for over a year now on Rip Ride Rocket and Dragon Challenge. I can't remember when they started to use metal detection wands, but it's been at least two years on Rip Ride Rockit and I believe Hulk.

Complimentary lockers have been available on Men In Black, Rip Ride Rockit, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, Incredible Hulk, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and Dragon Challenge since the beginning of these rides.

It's really no big deal.

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by NotSo NotSo Profile at 1/16/17 9:26:23 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The incidents on Rip Ride Rockit and Dragon Challenge prompted this change.

There have been metal detectors for over a year now on Rip Ride Rocket and Dragon Challenge. I can't remember when they started to use metal detection wands, but it's been at least two years on Rip Ride Rockit and I believe Hulk.

Complimentary lockers have been available on Men In Black, Rip Ride Rockit, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, Incredible Hulk, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and Dragon Challenge since the beginning of these rides.

It's really no big deal.

I agree they do make it easy, with the free lockers and close to the ride. I just get kind of uncomfortable leaving my keys and wallet. That said, the locker is probably the safer place compared to my pockets. I guess.. Never lost anything. Yet.

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/13/17 1:58:26 AM
As a person that has always carried my wallet, keys, camera, and phone in my own pockets and riding most of the east coast coasters, not once have i ever lost anything. I have most of the stuff packed in as well as with clips to keep them hanging onto my jeans and not letting anything fly out. Sadly about universal they had to go overboard with the metal detector thing because people are just a-holes about having to take out their phones to record themselves on the ride. Doesn't that defeat the point of having cameras on the lifthill and stopping the coaster and then forcibly removing the rider without a refund? I can understand wanting to put phones in the lockers because people can't be trusted to leave the phones in their pockets, but i do not want to leave my keys and wallets in the lockers in fear they would be stolen. Not to mention they have clips, so they couldn't fly out far if they did.

So yeah thankfully the bg-sw parks are not that strict about it. However, last year a person standing outside the entrance of sheikra saw me taking pics of the coaster before getting in the queue did tell me i had to put my camera in a locker before i showed her my camera had a clip on the end and couldn't fly out as well as how i have been on the ride before and never lost it. I was not being difficult about it and explained it to her calmly and she eventually let me pass. But still that was the first time i was ever told to use a locker when i never had to worry about that in all my other visits.

* This post was modified at 4/13/17 2:02:00 AM *

Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/13/17 12:18:03 PM
I place anything that could fall out of a pocket...even a snap or Velcro'd cargo pants pocket...into a zip-lock baggie. So I have multiple items in that baggie (cash (including coins), credit card, license, reading glasses, cell phone, anything else I would hate to lose).
Idea is I will never lose the entire bag no matter what I ride on, but any individual item just might disappear.
It has worked like a charm for years.

I explained that just to get to this simple question: would that single bag in my Velcro closed pocket be considered a loose item at Universal (when metal was detected)?

Mike B.
Re: BGT, Sea World, loose article question by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/13/17 12:38:34 PM
Yes the plastic bag will not be permitted. Universal will not allow you to bring anything with you on their roller coasters. They use metal detection and a visual scan. If they see something in your pockets they won't let you bring it with you, even if it doesn't set off the metal detector. They pay extra attention to people with cargo shorts, jackets and clothing with lots of pockets.