Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review

Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
12/24/16 at
7:31:47 AM

... and God bless us every one.

This has been a strange year. For the first time in twenty years, we did not renew our Kings Island season passes for next year. And for the first time since its inception, we did not attend KI's Halloween event. My wife and I finally vacated our home of 33 years in Ohio and permanently relocated to sunny Florida.

But this is also our first Christmas as cancer survivors. I will be facing a couple months of radiation early next year following surgery this past summer, and Laurie has just begun several months of chemo for diffuse lymphoma. All this just hit us out of the blue. Quite possibly we may have both had our last coaster ride... certainly no more extreme coasters. But we are fortunate to live in an age when this is not a death sentence.

Of course, we lost Mike this year, and possibly a few other URC bros and sisters who quietly slipped off into that great theme park in the sky. But as Mike would probably say, it's been a fun ride!

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 12/24/16 7:35:26 AM *

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/24/16 8:10:25 PM
Praying for a cancer free recovery for you both. Hoping you guys have a long, prosperous life down in Florida. At least now you guys can visit parks all year long.

* This post was modified at 12/24/16 8:11:03 PM *

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by ericthewanderer at 12/25/16 4:08:22 AM
I hope you guys make it through treatment okay-I've always heard the treatments are as tough as the disease.
Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/25/16 1:57:22 PM
Blessings to you both. Prayers for the cancer recovery.

As others have said, the wonderful thing about the Florida parks is that the coasters aren't necessarily a big deal in them. They are more than worth visiting without doing a single intense ride. so they're still open to you. And even better- so is life.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and Merry Christmas.

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/25/16 3:24:22 PM
SirWillow said:
Hope everyone has a wonderful and Merry Christmas.

Thank you all, and the same to you and yours!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/27/16 11:59:34 AM
I hope that everyone had a great Christmas. I hope that and your significant other will stay healthy Rob.

* This post was modified at 12/27/16 12:02:26 PM *

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 12/29/16 11:33:12 AM
Hi Rob,

Best of luck in 2017. Since you have moved to Florida I have some advice... Try cruising. My passion for Roller Coasters and Theme Parks has been replaced by cruising. Donna and I love to cruise with Celebrity Cruise Lines.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

My Cruise Album

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/29/16 6:07:39 PM
KevinReid said:
Since you have moved to Florida I have some advice... Try cruising. My passion for Roller Coasters and Theme Parks has been replaced by cruising. Donna and I love to cruise with Celebrity Cruise Lines.

Thanks, Kevin! Matter of fact, we're booked on a Valentine's Day cruise in about six weeks.

Hope everyone in your family is healthy and happy!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by MABrider MABrider Profile at 12/30/16 11:40:17 AM
Rob,

Those health issues hit you and Laurie since I saw you at Coasterstock this past May...?
I'm so sorry to hear of what you both are now dealing with.
I hope living in sunny FL somehow makes it easier.

Here's hoping for a better 2017...Happy New Year!

Mike B.
Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/30/16 5:39:48 PM
MABrider said:

Rob, Those health issues hit you and Laurie since I saw you at Coasterstock this past May...?

Thanks, Mike. Yes, my biopsy was just after July 4th and surgery just before Labor Day. Laurie thought she had over exerted herself during the move. First real diagnosis came just after Thanksgiving.

As if that wasn't enough... she got out of the hospital the night before Xmas Eve, then two days later, the day after Christmas noticed some visual changes. Next day (day before yesterday) she was in emergency surgery for multiple retinal tears. It just never ends.

Hopefully 2017 will be a MUCH better year!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/30/16 6:06:14 PM
I should throw out there that the tumors on her hip and spine have caused her to limp... and now with the eye patch added, she both looks AND walks like a pirate... should fit in perfectly for the annual Gasparilla festival here next month.

http://gasparillapiratefest.com/

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 1/1/17 9:51:29 AM
RobLec said:

I should throw out there that the tumors on her hip and spine have caused her to limp... and now with the eye patch added, she both looks AND walks like a pirate... should fit in perfectly for the annual Gasparilla festival here next month.

Just have to make sure she can talk like a pirate and catch the beads. :)

Have fun at Gasparilla. We had a great time going to the daytime parades with the kids.

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/2/17 4:10:38 PM
SirWillow said:
Just have to make sure she can talk like a pirate and catch the beads.

Unfortunately, talk like a pirate day isn't til September ;) and

we just recently threw out the beads from LAST year's parade!

Arrgh!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone! ... and an unusual year in review by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/18/17 4:51:57 PM
A VERY late Merry Christmas, and a late Happy New Year everyone.

Really can't wait for the weather to warm up! :)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv